• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Tax Commissions and Deductions for Your Business in 2006

L
lyneya
Obviously this could change for 2006, but as a general guideline, what rate are the commissions taxed when you submit your tax return? I haven't had any PC income in 2005, so I don't think I can deduct my initial start-up (bummer), but as I put some money into my new business, I started to wonder how much I would need to cancel out the tax on my future commissions.

That sounded more complicated than I meant it. Let's say that for every $100 I earn, the government wants $30 back. But if I can spend $30 building my business with deductable expenses, I could enhance my business significantly. I just want to know approximately what percentage we're taxed. Anyone know off-hand? Are our expenses deducted at 100%?

Thanks all!

ps. My first show is TONIGHT!!!!

Will you be doing your taxes yourself or having someone do them? I always do them myself using Turbo Tax. I didn't sell PC in '04, but I did babysit out of my home and had to count that. I ended up coming out ahead, because when you have a business that you run from your home, you get to deduct portions of your house payment, insurance, property taxes, phone bill, electric, gas, trash,water and square footage that was used for your business. Keep that in mind during the year and make sure you keep all your statements. This will help you a lot at tax time.

I usually do them myself. I think I'll start using Turbo Tax though as our life gets more complicated. I'm one of those wierdos that actually enjoys doing my taxes!

Yeah, I enjoy doing them too. Last year, instead of purchasing Turbo Tax at the store, I just went to their website and did it. It was easier and cheaper. You also don't get billed until you actually file. It's a good way to try it out and see if you can do it on your own first without spending the money. It asks you questions in the beginning and will personalize it for you. It pretty much told me what I could deduct. I'm just wondering how easy it will be for me this year since I am babysitting and selling Pampered Chef. Last year it told me I had to enter some kind of a business code. I didn't know what it was, but was able to look it up on the internet. It accepted the code that I put in, so I guess it was correct. Turbo Tax also checks everything for you to let you know if you made any mistakes.

Oh yeah!! Good luck at your show tonight!!!

jenniferlynne said:
Oh yeah!! Good luck at your show tonight!!!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it! :) It's girlfriends from work, so it should be fun. I'll tell them I have to practice my spiel. I don't feel like I'm really prepared, but it should be fine. I didn't want to be too rehersed or I'd feel wierd. Funny thing is that I wouldn't mind being more salesly if it weren't my friends!

When I first started out, I had trouble finding something to say the whole time I was demonstrating. Luckily, I made my family sit through a trial run before my first show. I couldn't believe how nervous I was and that I didn't even know what to say!! Now, I just try to keep talking about whatever product I am using. I tell everything I know about it. Sometimes when I run out of things to say while I am chopping something up, I will call on someone to tell about their favorite product. A lot of times it helps sell other products because the guests get to hear someone else talk about something that they are excited about. I had one show where the host went on and on about the microcooker (I hadn't even brought it with me) and I think I sold about 10 of them that night. Do you have any tips you are going to share? You might want to mention that you can put our stones in the microwave, and can even make a cake in 10-12 minutes (you can search this site for the recipes). You can also put bacon on the bar pan and cook it in the oven. 450 degrees for 15 minutes. I've sold several by telling people about that. The bacon comes out looking like it does on the Bob Evans commercials. Nice and flat and evenly cooked. Doesn't have all that fat on the ends. That is also a good way to season a new bar pan. Another good tip is putting egg yolks in the cheese grater when making deviled eggs. It is about 20 times faster than smashing them with a fork which is what I used to do. Our cutting boards can be bleached to keep them white (so can our rubber spatulas. they are not supposed to stain, but the handles do). They can also be sanded down with fine sandpaper to keep them smooth. If making cupcakes, use the medium scoop, and use two scoops of batter. That will make perfect cupcakes. That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I think if you do a search under "tips" you may find a lot of useful things. They do help sell more.

Great tips! I'm definately going to incorporate a couple of those!!! :)

So, how did the first show go?

jenniferlynne said:
So, how did the first show go?

Great! Only 6 people came, but we've had a few outside orders and there is still one more order before I can do the final tally and get the final numbers for the host benefits, but we're over $400 already! Not bad for a little show! :) The mystery host didn't quite understand how much she was going to get out of it. Now she's talking about ordering a cookware set with one of her 50% off items. Yay Pan-o-rama for me!

That's a great first show! Congrats. Especially because it was a smaller crowd. Tell her to spread the word to her friends how awesome the host benefits are. If you didn't get many bookings from the show, maybe she can drum up a few for you! :)

1. What rate are commissions taxed at when submitting a tax return in 2006?

The rate at which commissions are taxed can vary depending on your income level and tax bracket. In 2006, the highest tax bracket for individuals was 35%, so commissions would likely be taxed at that rate. However, it is always best to consult with a tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.

2. Can I deduct my initial start-up expenses for my business in 2006?

If you did not have any income from your business in 2005, you may not be able to deduct your initial start-up expenses. Generally, expenses can only be deducted in the year that they are incurred, so if you did not have any income in 2005, you may not be able to deduct those expenses in 2006. Again, it is best to consult with a tax professional for specific information.

3. How much do I need to deduct in expenses to cancel out the tax on my future commissions?

The amount of expenses you would need to deduct to cancel out the tax on your future commissions would depend on your income level and tax bracket, as well as the amount of commissions you earn. It is important to keep track of all your business expenses and consult with a tax professional to determine the best strategy for minimizing your tax liability.

4. Are our expenses deducted at 100%?

Generally, business expenses are deducted at 100% as long as they are considered necessary and ordinary expenses for your business. However, there may be certain limitations or restrictions for certain types of expenses. It is important to keep thorough records and consult with a tax professional to ensure proper deductions.

5. What is the approximate percentage that we are taxed on our commissions?

As mentioned earlier, the tax rate for commissions can vary depending on your income level and tax bracket. In 2006, the highest tax bracket for individuals was 35%, so commissions would likely be taxed at that rate. However, it is best to consult with a tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
martyskitchen
  • pattybrady
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • NewtoMom