• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Discounted Gifts Considered Taxable Income for Home Business Owners?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of categorizing discounts and gifts as business expenses for taxes. Some suggest putting them under "supplies" or "incentives" while others believe it matters to choose the correct category according to IRS rules. The speaker ultimately decides to seek professional help with their taxes.
Nep2nfly
So...this is my first year doing taxes with a home business, and it's been lots of "fun" figuring all these things out. One question that I haven't found an answer to yet is "gifts" - now I'm not talking host gifts - but discount "gifts" - or consultant "sales" where we give a discounted rate or free shipping as part of a promotion - what category does that fall under with taxes? I know this may be a ridiculous question - but I could use "an Idiots guide to direct sales business taxes" - does anyone know the answer to this?
Nancy

Anybody have an answer?

Does this go in "Discounts, rebates, refunds" area of taxes or does it go in MISC under gifts? Anybody!!!!

I don't think it matters which bucket you put your schedule C expenses in. There aren't too many options. If it bothers you to put it in a bucket that you don't think it really fits then you can just put it on the second page and label it "incentives" where they give you room to write it out. HOpe that helps. Now that I think about it, I lumped these types of things in with supplies b/c I was just looking at any discrepancies between what I deposit and what gets deducted for a show....plus if I order door prizes they go on a supply order...oh well.

NewbyPChef said:
I don't think it matters which bucket you put your schedule C expenses in. There aren't too many options. If it bothers you to put it in a bucket that you don't think it really fits then you can just put it on the second page and label it "incentives" where they give you room to write it out. HOpe that helps. Now that I think about it, I lumped these types of things in with supplies b/c I was just looking at any discrepancies between what I deposit and what gets deducted for a show....plus if I order door prizes they go on a supply order...oh well.

The tax guy who came to talk to us about taxes at our Back 2 Business meeting said the IRS has rules about how much you can give in gifts per person and how much you can do in incentives, so I do think it matters what category you choose. I'm not good at saying what those categories are, which is why I decided to hand it off to a professional this year.

1. What is considered a "gift" for tax purposes?

A gift is any transfer of property, including money, stocks, or real estate, without receiving anything of equal value in return.

2. Do I have to pay taxes on gifts I receive?

In most cases, no. Gifts are not considered taxable income for the recipient. However, if the gift is over a certain value, the giver may have to pay a gift tax.

3. Can I deduct gifts on my taxes?

No, gifts are not tax deductible for the giver. Only charitable donations to qualified organizations can be deducted on taxes.

4. What is the annual gift tax exclusion?

The annual gift tax exclusion is the maximum amount that an individual can give to another person without having to pay a gift tax. As of 2021, the exclusion is $15,000 per recipient.

5. Do I have to report gifts on my tax return?

If you are the recipient of a gift, you do not have to report it on your tax return. However, the giver may need to report the gift if it exceeds the annual exclusion amount.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Happy Mom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
supergirljennie
  • chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • DebPC