1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Tax on Shipping

1. StacieB

StacieB Veteran Member Gold Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website where I can check to make sure that shipping is to be taxed in my state or what number to call at home office? I have had a few guests ask me about this. I know the back of the receipt doesn't say that we are not to tax shipping in SD. Thanks for any help.

Apr 8, 2009
  2. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

Then tax it. It's taxed in every state but the ones listed. And BTW, it only amounts to a quarter, and is irrelevant if guests round up.

Ohio is way confusing ... it taxes shipping on every other product except PC ...

3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Yes - if it isn't listed as non-taxed, then it's taxed. Point that out to guests and explain to them that it's a state law. (that's what I do.) I usually make a little joke of it and say something like "Oh you know MI - the state will tax anything it can!"

If you are really questioning it, you can check it out with Career Solutions at HO. I'm sure they would have the info that you need.

Apr 8, 2009
  4. StacieB

StacieB Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks, that I what I go by, but this same guest keeps telling me that we are not to do it. She thinks that the law changed. I would think that HO would know this if it changed. I will have to double check to make her happy I suppose.

Apr 8, 2009
  5. PCJen

PCJen Member

Keep in mind that some companies have included tax in their shipping rates so that makes the customers think that it shouldn't be taxed. I have gotten this a lot from customers and I just tell them that PC doesn't pre-tax shipping like some companies do and here in WA it is state law that shipping is taxed. I never get any problems after I explain this.

Apr 8, 2009
  6. ardipc

ardipc Member Gold Member

For future reference any of us can check our state's comptroller's website or Google "shipping tax" with your state name. When I've had guests question this in the past, I did exactly this, and in Texas, it came back to the State Comptroller, and they had the exact code on their website. I let the guest know that I want them to know that for future reference, it isn't just me or Pampered Chef, but the State of Texas that requires tax on shipping of delivered, taxable goods, however, since I want to be their consultant of choice, I will happily cover it for them this one time.

Stacie, in your case, I Googled "shipping tax South Dakota", and went to the South Dakota Department of Revenue and Regulation website. Following their "Sales Tax" info links, I used Control F to search the link they have posted for the most recent Sales Tax Guide (July 2008), and found the following applicable paragraphs:

Delivery Charges
    Delivery charges are subject to the same state and municipal sales tax rate as the merchandise when delivered to a customer in South Dakota. If the product is not taxable, the delivery charge is not taxable.
    Delivery charges are the charges by the retailer for preparation
    and delivery to a location designated by the purchaser of product or services. Delivery charges include shipping, postage, handling, crating, packing, and fuel surcharge.

You can view the entirety of the document at:
    http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/businesstax/publications/st/SalesTaxGuide08_adj.pdf

Apr 8, 2009
  7. trps

trps Advanced Member Silver Member

Ohio tax I believe is based on where the item ships from if there is a store in OH then shipping is taxed if not it is not.

Apr 9, 2009
Have something to add?