• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Taxable Totals on Grocery Delivery Orders

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the host's order is being charged tax on pantry items, even though the state they are in does not tax food items. The group concludes that P3, the software used for processing orders, is not able to calculate two tax rates on the host's order, so it takes the free product value off of the pantry items first, resulting in the host being taxed on non-pantry items. Some members suggest checking the tax set-up and show set-up, while others mention that this has happened to them before. The original poster simply wanted to understand why this was happening.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Here's basically what my host's order looks like:

Total items other than pantry and half price: $72.75
Half price items: $42.25
Free product: $60
Pantry items: $9.75

We're being charged tax on $64.65, even though $7.80 of that, after 20 percent discount, is for pantry items. I added these LAST on her order and watched the taxable total go higher and higher.

It's less than 20 cents but still ... why are these items taxable? Is it including pantry items as the free product no matter what I do?

Some states tax food items...as a way to generate income. Luckily, TX is not one of those states. You can see if your state charges that extra fee by doing the tax look-up on CC.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

I know my state does not tax pantry. It even acknowledges this on the host info part on CC. That is why I am confused.

Check your page with the host's address info. Is the 'food tax' checked?

The food tax is 0.00

Without the pantry items:

78.25 host purchases
minus $60 free product
Total $18.25
minus 3.65 for 20 percent discount
Plus half price items
total $56.85
Plus $3.70 tax

With pantry items:

Total host purchases: $88
Minus $60 free
Total $28
minus $5.60 discount
Total $22.40
Plus half price items
Tax is like $4.10

And the pantry items are *just* rubs/seasonings/sprinkles? I know you've been doing this for a while but when I started I messed up thinking cookbooks were "pantry" since that's the category they are in in the catalog LOL

It has to be charging a separate food tax because the tax rate on the total without pantry items is 6.5% but if it was 6.5% on the entire total with pantry items (which I figured out to be $64.65 given the information you included), the tax would be $4.20. If you take out just the pantry items and the tax difference between your two scenarios, it appears that the pantry items are being taxed at 5.1%

So $56.85 is taxed at 6.5% ($60.55) and $7.80 is taxed at 5.1% ($8.20) which ends up being $68.75.

P3 could be changing those items to the free stuff and then essentially charging tax on the non pantry items.

wadesgirl said:
P3 could be changing those items to the free stuff and then essentially charging tax on the non pantry items.

This is what is happening. The food items are being processed as some of the free items and Pampered Chef does not tax on the free items so the host is not being taxed on the food.

Many other direct sales companies DO tax on the total host order BEFORE the free is subtracted so even with this we are giving the host a great deal. I don't understand the big hubbub about 40 cents. It's not worth your time. Move on.

wadesgirl said:

Yep, this happened to me too (my 2nd show!). We don't charge tax on pantry items here either. I had figured out everything by hand at host's house (didn't charge tax on pantry) and when I got home and entered it in P3, it was different. I finally figured out that the pantry items were going under the FPV.

P3 adds all items...except half price and host special then subtracts the FPV, leaving everything else to be taxed. I don't know any other way they would do it. Did you check in your show set up to see if you have a tax percent in the food items spot? Some states tax food at different rates and so you would have 2 different rates, some don't tax food at all, some states tax shipping and some don't. Sorry, I'm not any help. I have never had this situation before.

I've spoken to Tech Support about this before. P3 is not capable of calculating two tax rates on the hosts order (for whatever reason, I don't know, they couldn't tell me), so what they do is take the FPV off pantry items first. It was quite a bummer for me, because my host's order was pretty much all Pantry, and she had to pay full tax on it because of P3's limitations.

Thanks, Beth and Noora. I was just confused because actually, the pantry items were things I added to the order as consultant gifts, and were not part of the hosts FPV at all.I just wanted to know what was happening, that is all. I was surprised when my tax increased after I added the last 2 items as pantry.

What are "Taxable Totals on Grocery Delivery Orders"?

"Taxable Totals on Grocery Delivery Orders" refer to the total amount of money that is subject to sales tax when purchasing groceries online for delivery. This includes the cost of the groceries, as well as any applicable delivery fees or service charges.

Are all grocery items subject to sales tax on delivery orders?

It depends on the laws and regulations in your specific location. In some areas, certain grocery items may be exempt from sales tax, such as essential items like fruits and vegetables. It is best to check with your local tax agency for more information.

How is the sales tax calculated for grocery delivery orders?

The sales tax for grocery delivery orders is calculated based on the total taxable amount, which includes the cost of the groceries and any applicable fees or charges. The percentage of sales tax may vary depending on your location and the type of groceries being purchased.

Do I need to pay sales tax on grocery delivery orders if I have a tax-exempt status?

If you have a tax-exempt status, you may be eligible for exemption from sales tax on your grocery delivery orders. However, you may need to provide proof of your tax-exempt status to the grocery delivery service. It is best to check with the service provider for their specific requirements.

Can I claim a tax deduction for grocery delivery orders?

In most cases, grocery delivery orders are not eligible for tax deductions. However, if you are a business owner and use the groceries for business purposes, you may be able to claim them as a business expense. It is best to consult with a tax professional for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mspibb
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • BBHall2002
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
Replies