• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Tax Deductions: Lunch with In-Laws and Business Expenses Explained

In summary, Sarah went to lunch with her in laws and her mother in law gave her the money for her order. After she was done, she went to the bank to deposit her show from the night before. She counted the miles but wasn't sure about the lunch. Sarah would say no because it's a meeting with a potential recruit and it's not clear-cut if it's a business lunch. I would say yes because it's a business lunch.
sarahsworld2000
Hello everyone,
This year I am getting a jump start on my taxes and keeping organized so 2012 isn't as big a pain as 2011 taxes were. My question is this. I went to lunch with my in laws. My mother in law had ordered something so at lunch she gave me the money for her order and I breifely mentioned to my sister-in-laws that we had a new catalog and that March Host speical was cookware. Do you think that is enough to deduct the price of my lunch? After I was done I went to the bank to deposit my show from the night before so I counted the miles, but not sure about the lunch. What do you think?
Thanks,
Sarah

I would say no. If it was a meeting with a potential recurit then yes. But since its a dinner where you just happened to pick up an order and happened to talk about new catalogs no. I say this because if you think about it you prolly talk about pampered chef to almost everyone while out in about you carry the bag or wear logo wear, and you can't tax deduct everything you do because its personal stuff going on with a side of business activity.

I would say no as well, but I'm freakishly petrified of being audited. I am a big time rule follower so it wouldn't be horrible, just an inconvenience!

I say yes. I have a repeat host that I meet for lunch and she gives me her order sometime during. It's a business lunch.

ShellBeach said:
I say yes. I have a repeat host that I meet for lunch and she gives me her order sometime during. It's a business lunch.

That I can see as easily being justified. Not really sure on the family lunch though as with the OP. If that were the case, all anyone would ever have to do is talk a little business (no matter what business), and claim it on their taxes. I doubt the IRS would be very agreeable in that case.

I'm with the other poster - it's not worth it in a grey area, should I ever get an audit. If it's a clear-cut business meeting with a host, or recruit, or your team, then yes. Getting an order over lunch, grey area to me, so I wouldn't.

I would check with someone who is an accountant because i was told if you purchase gift certificate and meet, customers, hosts or recruit leads and pick up lunch only 1/2 the meal is deductable but if you purchase a gift card 100% is. You want to check for sure since they are cracking down on entertainment this year someone told me but EVERY DAY I go to the Bank and PO for Pampered Chef and EVERYDAY I write that off. When I run to town to drop off products or pick up checks to close a show I write that off too. Just deduct the milage to the store that was out of the way.

1. What is a tax deduction?

A tax deduction is an expense or deduction that you can claim on your tax return to lower your taxable income. This can help reduce the amount of taxes you owe or increase your tax refund.

2. What types of expenses can be claimed as tax deductions?

Some common expenses that can be claimed as tax deductions include charitable donations, mortgage interest, state and local taxes, business expenses, and certain medical expenses. It's important to consult with a tax professional or refer to the IRS guidelines to determine which expenses are eligible for tax deductions.

3. How do I claim a tax deduction?

To claim a tax deduction, you must itemize your deductions on your tax return using Form 1040 and Schedule A. This requires keeping track of all eligible expenses and providing documentation, such as receipts or statements, to support your claims.

4. Are there any limits on tax deductions?

Yes, there are limits on certain tax deductions. For example, there is a limit on the amount of state and local taxes that can be deducted, and there are income limits for claiming certain deductions, such as student loan interest. It's important to consult with a tax professional or refer to the IRS guidelines for specific limits.

5. Can I claim tax deductions if I take the standard deduction?

No, if you choose to take the standard deduction, you cannot also claim itemized deductions. The standard deduction is a set amount determined by the IRS each year, and it is meant to simplify the tax filing process for those who do not have many eligible expenses to itemize.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pchefinski
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • NewtoMom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kam