• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Solving the Thanksgiving Pie Crust Dilemma!

In summary, the conversation is about making mini pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving using a mini muffin pan and a tart shaper. The person had to make their own pie crusts and found a simple solution by rolling small balls of dough and using the mini tart shaper to press them into the pan. They also mentioned using the outside of a measure all cup to cut circles of dough and using dry beans to prevent the crust from puffing up while baking. Others in the conversation shared similar ideas and mentioned using a bottle or glass as a rolling pin, as well as using a premade pie crust and filling it with pudding. The conversation also briefly touched on using a Baker's Roller and the mini measure all cup. Overall, the conversation is a
anoelle
Okay so I found out late Wednesday night that I needed to make deviled eggs and pumpkin pie for my husband's family Thanksgiving. I had to run the store to get the stuff(such a nightmare) and then I found that they didn't have any premade pie crusts. I had planned to make mini pumkin pies in the mini muffin pan and cut out small circles from pre-existing pie crust. So I had to make my own (first time I'd done this). I ended up testing a theory as it looked like it would work and if not I would just start again. I knew that it would pat dough into the pan but as I had let one of my neighbors borrow my rolling pin I didn't know how to go from ball of dough to mini crusts easily. I ended up rolling the dough into small balls and placing one in each well and took one end of the mini tart shaper and pressed down. It worked beautifully to make the pie crusts. It was so nice after everything to have found such a simple solution. I hope some of you can use this to help sell some of these wonderful little guys. I ended up selling a deluxe mini muffin pan and the tart shaper to my mother in law after telling her what had happened.

Awesome idea! You can also use the outside of the measure all cup to cut circles out of the dough. They are the perfect size for making tarts using the mini muffin pan & tart shaper too! =)

kristina16marie said:
Awesome idea! You can also use the outside of the measure all cup to cut circles out of the dough. They are the perfect size for making tarts using the mini muffin pan & tart shaper too! =)

Exactly what I did yesterday!!

That was originally my plan. Though the lack of rolling pan or premade refrigerated/frozen crusts stopped that dead.

you can always use a bottle or glass as a rolling pin :) and don't forget our nifty Baker's Roller ;)

I wouldve loved the Baker's roller to help. I didn't even think of a bottle or glass...lol.

kristina16marie said:

This seems like it would create a lot of extra crust for the mini pies. Do you fold them down and crimp them or something? I want to make these Thursday and am looking for input. Anyone done something other than pumpkin?

KellerCooks said:
This seems like it would create a lot of extra crust for the mini pies. Do you fold them down and crimp them or something? I want to make these Thursday and am looking for input. Anyone done something other than pumpkin?

It creates a little bit extra but not too much. It's the perfect size.

how about thie mini measure all cup???

The kids and I used a premade pie crust and cut the circles with the measure all cup and put in the mini muff pan. Filled the little crusts with dry beans and baked them. When they cooled we emptied them of the beans and filled them with different flavors of pudding from the snack paks we got on sale. The kids LOVED them!!!!!! (the beans in the crusts is to prevent the crust from puffing up with air bubbles while baking)

carlajanes said:
you can always use a bottle or glass as a rolling pin :) and don't forget our nifty Baker's Roller ;)

You can also use the outside of the measure all to roll out the crust.....but it sounds as though you didn't need to do any rolling at all!

1. How do I prevent my pie crust from becoming soggy?

To prevent a soggy pie crust, make sure to blind bake (or pre-bake) the crust before adding the filling. This means covering the crust with parchment paper or aluminum foil and weighing it down with pie weights or dried beans before baking for about 15 minutes. This will create a barrier between the crust and the filling, keeping it crisp and flaky.

2. What is the best type of fat to use in a pie crust?

The best type of fat to use in a pie crust is a combination of butter and shortening. Butter adds flavor and flakiness, while shortening adds tenderness and helps prevent the crust from shrinking. For a vegan option, you can use all vegetable shortening or a plant-based butter substitute.

3. How do I get a beautiful golden crust on my pie?

To achieve a golden crust, brush the top of the pie with an egg wash (1 beaten egg + 1 tablespoon of water) before baking. This will give the crust a shiny, golden finish. You can also sprinkle sugar or coarse salt on top for added texture and flavor.

4. Can I make a pie crust ahead of time?

Yes, you can make a pie crust ahead of time. You can prepare the dough and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before rolling it out and baking. You can also freeze the dough for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before using.

5. How do I prevent my pie crust from shrinking?

To prevent a shrinking crust, make sure to chill the dough before rolling it out. This allows the gluten to relax, preventing the crust from shrinking during baking. Also, make sure to place the dough in the pie dish gently, without stretching or pulling it. Finally, blind bake the crust as mentioned in the first question to help prevent shrinking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• narfing
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • momoftwins
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
newchef2010
  • momoftwins