• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Tanning Salons Beneficial or Harmful?

37) so I try to go as much as possible.I always envied those that went to Florida on spring break and came back with such great tans. Now I look so much younger than they do!

Have you ever gone to a tanning salon?

• No

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • I would consider it.

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
AJPratt
Silver Member
So I was driving home the other day and saw a Grand Opening for a tanning salon. I'm not sure why if these are so bad for people why they still have them? Has anyone ever gone or do you still go?

thats pretty much the only way I tan since Ive had my kids me and a bathing suit do not get a long lol
Terra

I have gone in the past, but it is the same thing as getting my nails done...I "waste" my money on myself with other things (OFFICE SUPPLIES!!) ....on a daily basis, so I try to limit these sort of re-occurring expenses...Cute story... My mom's bf is Haitian, and he laughs about us wanting to get a tan in the summer (let alone the winter!!) and just says that we are supposed to be white! LOL...of course he is "tan" all of the time, and just gets darker in the summer!!

I went back in High School, oh........16 years ago. :p I only did it for my Junior Prom and said the hell with it my Senior prom. My attitude is (and no offense to those of you who do tan intended!) that God intended me to be white, so white I shall stay! :p

I used to go all the time in college. SInce having kids I don't go anymore, just don't have the time to do it and honestly would rather spend my money another way.

CANCER, people!!!

I don't and never will. Besides cancer, I don't want wrinkles early either! I bask in my alabaster skin. :) And redheads look silly fake tanning. You don't even get the benefits of being out in the sun.

speedychef said:
CANCER, people!!!
Except that everything causes cancer, so you might as well do what you want and die happy.My belief is that cancer is just evolution at work.

Last edited:
I've been in a tanning bed twice in my life. Didn't like the enclosed feeling, plus it really makes you smell funny. I'd much rather hang out by the beach or the pool.

I have gone before but I dont tan in the beds I fry. So I havent been for 8 yrs. A girl in my HS did tanning beds and she made herself so dark you could find her in a dark room by the whites of her eyes. I wonder what she looks like now.

I joined one last year before going on my PC cruise and went a few time. I have tons of time left but haven't been back - really didn't like it at all!

I have burned easily all my kife and thought it would help avoid that (May in the Carribbian...) but it didn't! Yes, I do take precautions!

chefann said:
Except that everything causes cancer, so you might as well do what you want and die happy.

My belief is that cancer is just evolution at work.
If you tan, drink, eat red meat, smoke or drive fast, you're going to die.
If you don't tan, drink, eat red meat, smoke or drive fast, you're going to die anyway.

Personally, I prefer to prolong the inevitable and having beaten cancer already, I choose to not partake in self destructing behavior.

I'm suffering from a terminal condition - so are you. It's called "life." But that doesn't mean I'm going to try to prevent you from killing yourself faster.

Jennie4PC said:
I have gone before but I dont tan in the beds I fry. So I havent been for 8 yrs. A girl in my HS did tanning beds and she made herself so dark you could find her in a dark room by the whites of her eyes. I wonder what she looks like now.
Get an extreme closeup of an elephant.

I believe if you are going to get it your are going to get it and no matter what you do it will happen but why be stupid and ASK for it.

I used to go in college when I was young and dumb.
Now that I live in Florida and I see all these 40 year old women who look like leather-back turtles...I coat myself in SPF 30 before leaving the house every day. I don't want to look 75 when I was 40.

dannyzmom said:
I used to go in college when I was young and dumb.
Now that I live in Florida and I see all these 40 year old women who look like leather-back turtles...I coat myself in SPF 30 before leaving the house every day. I don't want to look 75 when I was 40.
I always envied those that went to Florida on spring break and came back with such great tans. Now I look so much younger than they do! They look 60 or more and I am told I look in my early 40's (we're 56).

Beth - you definitely don't look 56! I've never gone to tan - I have very fair skin and love my 30+ sunscreen - my 2 sons have very fair skin and my daughter's is somewhat darker - but I figure I certainly can't expect them to use sunscreen if I don't! I figure my skin is going to look good for a long time if I'm lucky.

Gina M said:
Beth - you definitely don't look 56! I've never gone to tan - I have very fair skin and love my 30+ sunscreen - my 2 sons have very fair skin and my daughter's is somewhat darker - but I figure I certainly can't expect them to use sunscreen if I don't! I figure my skin is going to look good for a long time if I'm lucky.
Thanks but you haven't seen me in person. Well... I have been told that this picture made me look older than I looked in person when I met a cheffer once...

I used to use the tanning booths when I was in my 20's. (that was before you heard of it being bad for you).

I use to , I like the spray tan for an event now...lightly of course. I wouldn't look like pumpkin...LOL
A golden glow looks nice

I am a religious tanning bedder! I take off the winter months but starting early Spring right through until late Fall. Which reminds me, I need to start going because my cruise is in 5 months.

BTW - My BF hates it if we start going at the same time because I always get darker than he does. What can I say, it is the Italian in me. (No comment KG)

I've gone both times I went on a cruise. I didn't think the world was ready for fat and white.:rolleyes:

I like to tan, but have specific things I do. I start out very slowly (5 minutes only for SEVERAL visits) and don't think I've ever stayed in for more than 10 minutes. The tanning workers think I'm crazy but I don't care. Also, I put sunscreen on my face and neck (spf 30) to retain my youthful appearance. The only part I'm really trying to get tan is my legs.

Thinking about it again. . .golf season will be here soon.

Oh, I also like to be the first one to use a machine. Otherwise, I get too hot.

1 or 2x in my life but didn't like the fake / bake look. But I have the skin tone to where I lay in the sun for 20 min and I am totally tan! But it's a rariety if I lay out anymore, trying to avoid sun now with age and all!

I would only go to a tanning salon for a Mysric or spray on tan - Not for tanning beds It's bad for your skin I don't care what the sales people tell you. Melanoma (skin cancer) is not pretty. Your body needs a little sunlight each day 15-20 minutes for vitamin D but you are not going to get that in a tanning bed. Many people get addicted.

I have been to the tanning salon years ago. But before I got married in 2001 I bought my own tanning bed. So, now I just go to the back of my house! So convenient! Although I think I was better at a schedule when I was keeping an appointment somewhere. Plus, my son would not be standing at the door screaming for to get out at a salon either! :D

Pale is the new tan.

I'll blind you all in Atlantis!

I'm fair skinned with freckles! Me and any kind of UV rays do not get along. My dh's uncle used to always make fun of me for being pale until I told him at least I didn't have to worry about dying of skin cancer. My dad has had skin cancer removed 3 times off his back, so I LOVE my sunblock!!

Too bad tanning is so bad for us, it really camoflauges cellulite!

I love going tothe tanning bed. The kids can't get to me, the phone can't ring....... Besides, I think I am part plant and get really depressed in the winter time. Even a dose of "fake sun" helps me out. Besides, I am allergic to the real sun and break out in a rash. Probably TMI there, huh? Oh well, we're all 1 big family, right?

Paige Dixon said:
Too bad tanning is so bad for us, it really camoflauges cellulite!
Yeah it does!:)

Jilleysue said:
I use to , I like the spray tan for an event now...lightly of course. I wouldn't look like pumpkin...LOL
A golden glow looks nice

Where do you go for the spray tan? I would love to try it but am SO afriad I'll come out orange!!

I have been thinking of that, too.... how long does it last? Do they look good?

I've use the Neutrogena spray-on that you can get at the drug store or Red Dot Boutique (Target). It works pretty well. Like any fake tan, it works best when you've exfoliated, so invest in a good body scrub (I like the Spa salt scrub from The Body Shop) and use that before you spray it on. The spray is nice because you don't have to rub it on, and it's more even than the creams.

dannyzmom said:
Where do you go for the spray tan? I would love to try it but am SO afriad I'll come out orange!!
... or uneven!

jasonmva said:
I am a religious tanning bedder! I take off the winter months but starting early Spring right through until late Fall. Which reminds me, I need to start going because my cruise is in 5 months.

BTW - My BF hates it if we start going at the same time because I always get darker than he does. What can I say, it is the Italian in me. (No comment KG)

BWahhhhhhhh ROFLMAO!! You are a hoot!!

I love to go to the tanning bed. I always go in the spring to prepare for the summer months. Like everything else, you have to be smart about it. You start with a few minutes and work your way up to the full time. I usually buy a unlimited package and tan as much as I have time for for 1 month and then I am ready for baseball season and the swimming pool. The salon I use has 10 minute beds. I start at 5 minutes for several days and then move up to 6, then 8 and then the full 10. I don't burn and then later, when I am in the sun I don't burn. You just have to tan in moderation. Too much can leave your skin looking like leather...and you can get too dark. I have been tanning for about 25 years and everyone still says I look younger than I really am. I depends on the person and whether or not you abuse it.

I went a couple times in high school before spring break or something, but it did make me smell funny, plus it made me ITCH!! It was weird. I burn like crazy and there's really no way for me to get "tan." That usually happens once the burn fades a little, but then the peeling starts. Ick. I'll be glowing with whiteness as well in Atlantis! Luckily my kids didn't inherit the degree of my whiteness. My husband is Indian, so they've got some protection in terms of not having glowing white skin. My daughter is a little darker than my son. My husband is pretty light-skinned, but at least they got some of it. You wouldn't know they're 1/2 Indian though unless I told you.

I loved the comment about the world not being ready for fat AND white. LOL!!:D That totally made me laugh and if I had more time to myself, I'd try to tackle both of those things in preparation for Atlantis. Oh well. The world will have to deal with it (and me as well!).

Shawnna said:
I love to go to the tanning bed. I always go in the spring to prepare for the summer months. Like everything else, you have to be smart about it. You start with a few minutes and work your way up to the full time. I usually buy a unlimited package and tan as much as I have time for for 1 month and then I am ready for baseball season and the swimming pool. The salon I use has 10 minute beds. I start at 5 minutes for several days and then move up to 6, then 8 and then the full 10. I don't burn and then later, when I am in the sun I don't burn. You just have to tan in moderation. Too much can leave your skin looking like leather...and you can get too dark. I have been tanning for about 25 years and everyone still says I look younger than I really am. I depends on the person and whether or not you abuse it.

and

jodistrauss (quote)I love going tothe tanning bed. The kids can't get to me, the phone can't ring....... Besides, I think I am part plant and get really depressed in the winter time. Even a dose of "fake sun" helps me out. Besides, I am allergic to the real sun and break out in a rash. Probably TMI there, huh? Oh well, we're all 1 big family, right? (quote)

I agree with both of these. I do feel better when I have a tan. Getting ready to start going soon. I never go enough to get too dark though.

I've never been to a tanning bed. Back in high school my friends all laid out and got beautiful tans. I laid out and got . . . nothing. No tan. No burn. Nothing. I gave up pretty quickly. Lying in the sun for hours on end gets boring. Now that we're older (mid-40's), the years of tanning are catching up with my contemporaries. We ran into a high-school friend the other day. When we got in the car my DH said, "You look a lot younger than her." Actually, I do tan a bit. The problem is I'm so white no one can tell unless they see where I'm not tan. A male co-worker once observed that "those places must glow in the dark." I told him it makes it easy for my DH to find me. I have been known to use the spray-on tan occasionally to keep from blinding people. Most of the time I figure it's a good thing if the blinding reflection keeps people from really looking at my legs.

I have never used a tanning bed.... nor do I want to start..... Growing up in Alabama I always had a nice tan... people used to ask me if I was wearing nylons all the time... i said no that's just my skin color... So tanning for me is shorts and a t-shirt and being out side on a ncie warm day...... makes it more fun...... I am not a person that likes to lay out in the sun.... though to get some sun I just go out and play with my daughter... :D

raebates said:
Actually, I do tan a bit. The problem is I'm so white no one can tell unless they see where I'm not tan.

Oh Rae, that is totally me! I will often take off rings or pull a shoulder strap down, just to prove to people I have tan lines!

I have been to a tanning salon a few times......but I'm not one for just laying there....I start feeling claustraphobic, and like I really need to get up and walk around. Even when we go to the beach, I need to be doing something even if it's just people watching.
Plus, I have all of the "warning signs" for being susceptible to skin cancer, so I tend to be careful with sun exposure.
The signs are:
Blonde Hair
Light Skin
2 or more bad burns before the age of 16
Light Eyes
Family History of skin cancer

I just went for a spray tan on Thursday. I'm as pale as all get out. I went to a hair salon and it looks really good - I was pleased. It only took about 3 minutes for the girl to apply and they say it last up to 7 days. I forgot how nice it is to at least "look" tan. It's Sunday and I am definitley still tan and I even have tan lines. I also use self tanner during the winter on my face and chest. In the summer I use on my arms and legs too. For even application, it helps to thin it out with a little moisturizer.

Susan

dannyzmom said:
Where do you go for the spray tan? I would love to try it but am SO afriad I'll come out orange!![/QUOTE

Debs Tan by the mall in Coral Springs. She does a good job. You wear a thong and topless...well I do but its up to you. They determine how much..just very light.

It comes out nice. I have done it before:D

chefann said:
I've use the Neutrogena spray-on that you can get at the drug store or Red Dot Boutique (Target). It works pretty well. Like any fake tan, it works best when you've exfoliated, so invest in a good body scrub (I like the Spa salt scrub from The Body Shop) and use that before you spray it on. The spray is nice because you don't have to rub it on, and it's more even than the creams.
You that French place? Targeaux? (Tar-ghey.) We used to make a day of it, starting there then buy clothes at Jock Penay and later, have lunch at Chez Renaldo.

I have tanned before. The longest I have tanned was for a month or so. It just helped me relax and make my complexion look better.

chefann said:
Except that everything causes cancer, so you might as well do what you want and die happy.

My belief is that cancer is just evolution at work.

Well said Anne,

toothpaste, chicken, plastic, and the sun also cause cancer

AJPratt said:
So I was driving home the other day and saw a Grand Opening for a tanning salon. I'm not sure why if these are so bad for people why they still have them? Has anyone ever gone or do you still go?

The same reason that people tan outdoors. Everyone knows that tanning is bad, but people still do it. It feels good, it makes them feel good, they think they look "better" with a tan, etc.

All I know is that I have been religious about sunblock on my face and at the young age of 50, my face hardly has a line on it. And none of those nasty brown spots.

Never could handle laying out. Too boring!

I love going to the tanning bed, but I only go once a week. It's just enough to give me a little color, but the main reason I go is because it clears up my dry skin patches (I forget the name for it!). It gets so bad in the winter!! I didn't know the tanning bed could clear it up until my brother told me about it. It is so nice not to have the bleeding red spots!! So worth it to me!

PamperChefCarol said:
The same reason that people tan outdoors. Everyone knows that tanning is bad, but people still do it. It feels good, it makes them feel good, they think they look "better" with a tan, etc.

All I know is that I have been religious about sunblock on my face and at the young age of 50, my face hardly has a line on it. And none of those nasty brown spots.

Never could handle laying out. Too boring!

Do tanning beds at least give you Vitamin D?

<h2>1. What are the potential benefits of using a tanning salon?</h2><p>Some people enjoy the appearance of a tan and may feel more confident with a darker complexion. Tanning can also provide a temporary boost in mood due to the release of endorphins.</p><h2>2. What are the potential risks of using a tanning salon?</h2><p>Tanning beds emit high levels of UV radiation, which can increase the risk of skin cancer and premature aging. Indoor tanning can also lead to eye damage, such as cataracts or macular degeneration.</p><h2>3. Are there any alternatives to tanning salons for achieving a tan?</h2><p>There are many safer alternatives to tanning salons, such as self-tanning products or spray tans. These options provide a similar appearance without the potential risks associated with UV exposure.</p><h2>4. Why do tanning salons still exist if they can be harmful?</h2><p>Despite the known risks, tanning salons still exist because there is a demand for them. Many people enjoy the appearance of a tan and may not be aware of the potential dangers.</p><h2>5. Have you or anyone you know used a tanning salon?</h2><p>As a company, we do not endorse or support the use of tanning salons. It is important to prioritize your health and well-being over temporary beauty trends. There are many other ways to achieve a bronzed look without putting your health at risk.</p>

1. What are the potential benefits of using a tanning salon?

Some people enjoy the appearance of a tan and may feel more confident with a darker complexion. Tanning can also provide a temporary boost in mood due to the release of endorphins.

2. What are the potential risks of using a tanning salon?

Tanning beds emit high levels of UV radiation, which can increase the risk of skin cancer and premature aging. Indoor tanning can also lead to eye damage, such as cataracts or macular degeneration.

3. Are there any alternatives to tanning salons for achieving a tan?

There are many safer alternatives to tanning salons, such as self-tanning products or spray tans. These options provide a similar appearance without the potential risks associated with UV exposure.

4. Why do tanning salons still exist if they can be harmful?

Despite the known risks, tanning salons still exist because there is a demand for them. Many people enjoy the appearance of a tan and may not be aware of the potential dangers.

5. Have you or anyone you know used a tanning salon?

As a company, we do not endorse or support the use of tanning salons. It is important to prioritize your health and well-being over temporary beauty trends. There are many other ways to achieve a bronzed look without putting your health at risk.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • annew
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
annew
  • topchef.heather