1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Suprise Boxes!!!

1. Can't wait to get mine! Can't wait for the trading to begin! Anyone willing to share some hot items found in their boxes?

Jul 10, 2009
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Not until the end of Wave 3, please. :)

Jul 11, 2009
  3. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

which size boxes have the most interesting items? or which do you most likely get your bang for the buck?

Jul 11, 2009
  4. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

I agree with Rae....please ask NOTHING until the end of Wave 3.

Jul 11, 2009
  5. pjpamchef

pjpamchef Member Silver Member

OK, I understand the reason for all the "mums the word on NC", and I'll probably get slammed for this, BUT, I feel the surprise boxes are the same as legalized gambling. And since I'm going to wave 3 I'm just asking for a little insider trading info!!!!
    I don't see how letting us know what's in the boxes etc really hampers my experience. A couple of years ago when they did the boxes that contained logo material, had I known about them, I would have gone earlier and grabbed one instead of being left out when they ran out.
    Same thing about the Merrill booths, if I need to get there asap to get one of the few flip flops available, instead of waiting assuming there will be enough to go around, I don't see how this info hurts to know ahead.

Jul 11, 2009
  6. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

The schedule is posted on CC when the surprise boxes become available, and what time the Merrill booth opens. Two years ago when I was at NC, there were big posters outside the SB area, one of which said that there was a logo wear box available (sold out by the time I got there, I didn't know what SBs were).

If you want to ensure you get first dibs on what is available, I recommend checking the schedule and making sure you're in line when they open up.

Jul 11, 2009
  7. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

When I was at NC 2 years ago the had the boxes listed by price and they had a category, Classics (older products), Incentives (former giveaways) etc. I am hoping they will do the same this year. Did they have it set up that way last year?

Jul 11, 2009
  8. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I agree - I'm not a big fan of surprise boxes...I don't need or have room for more discontinued stuff....but I don't think Surprise Box contents fall into the same category as new product, promotions, and recipes. :rolleyes: It's all stuff we've seen before anyway.

Jul 11, 2009
  9. etteluap70PC

Also even if they tell us that "the big box was awesome!" I may not get the same things in mine and be as gaga over them.

Jul 11, 2009
  10. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

I am going to have my D order me one, as I cannot go. :)

Jul 11, 2009
  11. Jennie4PC

Jennie4PC Legacy Member

My director wouldnt get me 1 last yr so this yr I didnt even ask. I would love a box but o well.

Jul 11, 2009
  12. BettieC

BettieC Member Gold Member

That's a shame! Mine got me 3 :)
    I'm just patiently waiting for them to get here now...lol

Jul 11, 2009
  13. darlinclem

darlinclem Advanced Member Gold Member

My director offered to get me ones after I told her people were able to do it last year but I had already talked to a cluster sister who offered. Mine are on the way and I know a few things in them but not all so it will be great fun when they get here (hopefully this next week!)!

Jul 11, 2009
  14. Chef Gilles

Chef Gilles Member Gold Member

I see another problem at NC.... not only finding out what are in the boxes... Consultants attend for the perks and pay to attend NC to boost their business and have a chance to get in on the surprise boxes. Imagine how one feels when they arrive to buy surprise boxes but they have ran out.....because people who are not attending are buying some through others who are. Shouldn't those attending have first pick at the boxes? After all they are the ones who decided to invest in their business...think about it! I have no problem if there are any boxes left on the last day that they can be purchased for other but..... so hats off to those who refuse to buy for others who are not attending. It happens here in Canada also!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    Jul 11, 2009
  15. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I didn't do a surprise box, but went around the room and watched people. From what I saw, they were very random. Of course they were discontinued items, lots of them are things that were/are on the outlet. Every box, big or small, seemed to have things in it that people were happy about. There was a lot of trading so people could complete sets and such.

Jul 11, 2009
  16. rennea

rennea Legacy Member Gold Member

Um, isn't that a little rude???

Jul 12, 2009
  17. Thinker

Thinker Member Gold Member

I don't think so - I will have to agree with you - Think about if you were in wave 3 and there was nothing for you - If you wanted the boxes so bad then you should attend conference.

Jul 12, 2009
  18. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

They set aside the same amount of surprise boxes for each wave, so they won't run out by the 3rd wave. Each wave gets the same exact things.

19. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I think so too.

Hey, I don't have to know exactly what's in your boxes, but I WOULD like to know the prices for each one and the basic differences between the boxes.

I am going to ask a Cluster Sister to send some home with me during Wave 3 and I would just like to know how much to budget.

20. darlinclem

darlinclem Advanced Member Gold Member

I got the discontinued merchandise ones. They run $10, $25 or $50. You can get one or all. I had hoped to get merchandising ones but there weren't any..

Jul 12, 2009
  21. Not everyone who stayed home from NC did so because we "decided" not "to invest" in our business. There are a lot of us who had legitimate reasons for not being there. My business is very important to me, but when it comes down to investing in my business or my family obligations, the business takes a back seat HANDS down. Surprise boxes, or not.
    I personally didn't order any surprise boxes, but don't believe those ones who weren't able to attend for good reasons be denied getting them.
    Just MHO, sorry in advance if I offend anyone.

22. Chef Gilles

Chef Gilles Member Gold Member

Sorry if I offended anybody, but I did attend NC last year, wanted a box but they were sold out...probably because others were purchasing for others...unless you have been in that situation, you don't really know how it feels...try putting yourself in someone elses shoes.....sorry if this is rude but I am honest in sharing my feelings and opinions. Luv you all!!!!

Jul 12, 2009
  23. gaddischef

gaddischef Member Gold Member

Actually, the reason they run out is not because others were purchasing for others but because the people purchasing for themselves usually buy 3-4-5 boxes at a time. They do only have so many for each wave. If you have not been there to see this surprise box time, it is CRAZINESS!! This year, there wasn't even a table for me to open mine on like there has been in the past. My director purchased one for one of her team members, but the person next to me on the floor had 4 boxes for herself!! I guess if people want to pay for the boxes it doesn't matter if it is for herself or not. The point is, don't wait -- get there first thing to get a box!

Jul 12, 2009
  24. etteluap70PC

I don't think you were rude, you were expressing your feelings and opinion.
    I would be majorly bummed if I went up to purchase the first day and boxes were allready sold out. Surprise boxes are a PERK of going to conference.

I will probably get flogged again but I am PMS'ing so don't really care, plus I have gotten used to it in the past week.

I am really dissapointed in how nuts people get about every little thing. Yes I love all the carrots that get dangled too. If I earn them great! If not I am bummed but move on. Why have we become a society that has to have everything and have it NOW! We need to get a grip and decide what is really important. If you decide staying home for various family/work reasons are more important I salute you and have been there as well. BUT... accept what goes along with not participating!

Here is an analogy... I am a Girl scout leader, if I have a outing planned to earn a patch and last minute one of my girls misses the outing they do not get the patch. It is a tough lesson to learn but they learn it. The girls that were there not only made the comitment to be there but did the work or activities to earn the patch. Why should someone who did not get the smae rewards?

Just something to think about...

Jul 12, 2009
  25. Triciascucina

Triciascucina Member

I totally agree with you. It would not be a wise investment for me to spend $1000 on a plane ticket.(I am in Japan) Everyone has some reason they could not make it. I went a few years ago and had the best time. It is also runs during my daughters birthday so I have to hope I am not in the wave at the same time.
    It would be nice though if they would offer any surprise boxes that were left to be ordered online at the end of the conference to anyone who would like to purchase it.

26. pjpamchef

pjpamchef Member Silver Member

OK, I'll probably get flogged for this, but I don't really see the Surprise Boxes as a perk for going to NC. Fact is since the Outlet came out, much of what is in the Surprise Boxes are the same as what is offered there. Bottom line is, it's a form of entertainment and a way for HO to rid themselves of retired products! I have sent boxes home in previous years to sister consultants who for very good reasons couldn't make it. They both used the products as incentives in their business. Cool thing was, I got to do the trading, which is the fun part, and didn't have to buy the boxes!!!! win/win!!

Jul 13, 2009
  27. Chef Bobby

Chef Bobby Veteran Member Gold Member

I think that I'm going to put the idea above on the suggestion board at conference. They ought to offer left over suprise boxes on the outlet. I'm sure someone would order them.

Jul 13, 2009
  28. schel

schel Advanced Member

Oh my gosh! Blah Blah Blah!
    Not everything in life goes by the book! Careful what you say, what goes around comes around!
    BTW I am a Pack Leader for Scouts and glad not as strict as that!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    Jul 13, 2009
  29. schel

schel Advanced Member

You know, maybe they should offer an online form of conference for those of us that can not go due to unforseen circumstances! If I only had to pay for conference I could maybe be able to attend, minus the plane, bus or gas expense, ie... hotel, food, etc...
    Then online have the option to get a surprise box sent to us. PC would make more money also!
    Then maybe there wouldn't be all this mud slinging going on on this site!
    Schel

Jul 13, 2009
  30. That is an awesome idea! I also like the idea of allowing those who couldn't "physically" be there to pay for an online conference. I know it wouldn't be as amazing, but at least we could be in the loop.

I am totally bummed about not getting to go. I was going up until a month ago. Next year I'm there, barring any illnesses, surgeries, etc.

As for the flogging thing. I haven't been on here as long as most, but the thing that is neat about this community is that it's sort of like family. You can growl at each other and disagree, but it is soon forgotten and everyone is family again.

Now, back to why we all came into the wave 1 thread to start with: I can't wait to find out what all the new products are! What do you guys hope they have redesigned?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  31. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

My goodness! I read this thread and really didn't think it was bad until this. I thought Paulette was expressing an opinion kindly.

Society is way to focused on "things" and having things immediately and on our terms.

...and I agree with her that children aren't taught rules and life lessons like they used to be. We all have to make tough choices in life and live with the consequences of those choices good or bad. We can't have our cake and eat it too in all things. It's tough to watch sometimes especially when our kids have to learn lessons, but I'd rather have them learn actions have consequences with me by their side than to grow up spoiled and not know how to handle life.

Jul 13, 2009
  32. janetupnorth

I agree, this is how it "usually" is. Sometimes people take things way too personally.

Jul 13, 2009
  33. loreo

loreo Banned

Well said, Janet. I totally agree.

Jul 13, 2009
  34. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Hear Hear! Totally agree with the point Paulette was making, and also with your further explanation of it!

I am always teaching my son that there are consequences to the choices he makes. It's much less stress to live your life w/o a sense of entitlement.

Jul 13, 2009
  35. etteluap70PC

Thanks janet.

Yes I have been freely expressing my opinion lately. I have tried hard not to attack or get personal with anyone. I have said many times if others have differen views it is fine with me, but I don't have to like it.

Unless people have gotten personal and nasty with me I hold no ill feelings. As for some you say shame on me, well... back at ya.

Jul 13, 2009
  36. Jules711

Jules711 Veteran Member Silver Member

I don't see a big deal of people ordering boxes if they aren't going. I'm not, but I don't get them when I'm there either...it's fun to watch though! I almost think of it as if we only allowed hosts to get benefits if they have an actual kitchen shows. If they don't have time/space for a show, then they can't take advantage of the benefits. Some of us do not have time for conference this year. If it were available online, I'd be there (like a webcast or something) if I could do it in the moments I have time.

Of course, I don't think it's wrong to dislike that people do it. I'd be frustrated too if I didn't have first dibs, which I think would be fair, but impossible to enforce.

I'm not asking for info before it's available b/c it's just not that important. I would love to know, but delayed gratification can be fun. Plus, I'm too busy with other things to worry about info. I would love to know the discontinued products in that can affect my shows NOW, but still.

Jul 13, 2009
  37. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

Every year I have been to conference they had surprise boxes left on the last day. didn't go last year. I bought surprise boxes the first year I went but haven't since. I agree that the outlet and surprise boxes are basically the same.

Jul 13, 2009
  38. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I bought a $10 surprise box on the last day of conference last year on purpose just because I didn't want to haul around some junk I had accumulated.

There were plenty.

Of course the "good" ones were sold out, but I'm not interested in the pricey ones this year. Just one or two inexpensive ones.

Have a lovely day, all!

39. cutiechic

cutiechic Member

I AGREE 100% I think that statement was rude. I cannot go to conference as we JUST MOVED. My husbands job required a move for us this year...not my choice.

Jul 13, 2009
  40. schel

schel Advanced Member

Sorry if I offended anyone also. I am done with my 2 cents here on the site, I will only be reading and observing from here on out.
    Schel

Jul 14, 2009
  41. janetupnorth

I read this year on the schedule that the surprise box purchase time is much more limited than last time - should make it interesting! :)

Jul 14, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted