• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Time to Make Thread Titles More Specific?

In summary, Anne suggests that people post titles that are more specific, so that people know what the post is about without having to read the entire post. She also suggests that people make it easy for themselves by using the New Posts button at the top of the screen.
AJPratt
Silver Member
Suggestion for Thread Titles and other various topics....I posted this somewhere else and then realized, it might be better off here...

I think it would be helpful for people to be more specific with their post titles. While I don't have the experience many of the other Cheffers have, I like to help out wherever I can and some threads are titled cryptically. Sometimes I feel silly when I read the title and think the post is about one thing and its about something else entirely. Any thoughts?

Added: I just feel bad for some of the original posters when I see that a thread has 250 views and 1 response or none. And then the thread disappears because no one has posted and they could still use help. I can't help but think if they said "I need help with X" they may have found a solution. That's just me.

Last edited:
I totally agree...too many thread titles are SO vague it drives me NUTS!

Anne,

Is this thread just for me?!?!?! I feel like it was directed just to me only!! Remember my introduction title??? I think it was "Coming out of the Closet".
I thought it was a stroke of genius. LOL...just pickin on ya!!

ChefTotsy said:
Anne,

Is this thread just for me?!?!?! I feel like it was directed just to me only!! Remember my introduction title??? I think it was "Coming out of the Closet".

I thought that was a great title. :D

ChefTotsy said:
Anne,

ROFL:D
I liked THAT one - LOL

ChefTotsy said:
Is this thread just for me?!?!?! I feel like it was directed just to me only!! Remember my introduction title??? I think it was "Coming out of the Closet". I thought it was a stroke of genius. LOL...just pickin on ya!!
Yep... just for you! LOL Just kidding. You were coming out, in a way!

LOL!!! That suites my personality....funny and out there!! LOL, not the coming out of the closet part....just an attention grabber...(not that there's anything wrong with that..)LOL.... I was in a way coming out....just not out of THAT closet.......LOL!!

I love this group of people....you all are so refreshing and funny!! When I have a down day, I know I can read something to cheer me up and make me giggle....

And on another subject...(I have a short attention span).. LOL...Why in the world did SuperNova choose Lukas?!?!?!?!?! And I was sick of Erica and sorta glad Boogie won BB7. Now my shows are over, I guess I will have to kick up my bookings.....

Anne,

Here's my thought...it's only one person's opinion. Depending on how you look at the latest threads, for me I use the New Posts button at the top of the screen. I can mouse over each one and see the first few sentences of the initial post to determine if I want to enter it to read more or respond.

Truthfully, there's no way we can control 8,000+ consultants who post threads in this forum. So, make it as easy as you can on yourself.

That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth-----which may be less than 2 cents!! :D

Last edited:
stephanieboyd said:
Anne,

Here's my thought...it's only one person's opinion. Depending on how you look at the latest threads, for me I use the New Posts button at the top of the screen. I can mouse over each one and see the first few sentences of the initial post to determine if I want to enter it to read more or respond.

Truthfully, there's no way we can control 8,000+ consultants who post threads in this forum. So, make it as easy as you can on yourself.

That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth-----which may be less than 2 cents!! :D
That's what I do - just mouse over and scan.

stephanieboyd said:
Anne,

I agree with both of you. Sometimes I have trouble thinking of a name for the thread so I just use whatever comes to mind.

stephanieboyd said:
Anne,

Ditto here..that's what I always do is hit new posts. Unless I actually have extra time to check out old ones.

Thanks for that tip, never saw that button before!!

stephanieboyd said:
Anne,

I completely agree! Your opinion is worth every bit of 2 cents and then some!

I always use the New Posts and mouse over them to see if they catch my interest. Then, if Anne, Gillian, Kitchen Guy, or Jennifer (jdavis) have been the last to post then I KNOW there is something good or funny out there and I just have to read it! :D And, if it's something the Dexy Duo are involved with well then I'm pretty sure to learn something 'techy':D that will probably help me streamline something that I'm doing.

Why let that one person's opinion spoil it for everyone! I think we are doing just fine!

pamperedlinda said:
I completely agree!

Why let that one person's opinion spoil it for everyone! I think we are doing just fine!
Ouch. I guess some people are unable to accept that others have differing opinions.

Sorry if you don't agree with everything others think but like I said on another thread it's a free country and you are free to do as you please. But I am entitled to my opinion too.

I think someone else needs to take a chill pill too.

Peace.

I do click New Posts... I by no means am trying to control anyone...it was just a thought/my personal preferance. I just put my thoughts out there and asked the opinions of others, but please don't say I am spoiling anything. Judging by how much time I spend here and the number of posts I have, I think this is a great place. I just though it might be a good way to help the other (and newer) posters see which threads they may want to post in... or see good examples of how to start a thread...that's all. As experienced Cheffers, we need to set a good example! Think about it, how helpful would 80 threads just starting with the words "Can I..." (or something equally generic) be? I'm not a moderator of this site, just someone "thinking out loud".

And, nothing pops up when I roll my mouse over a thread title, so I have to click on it and wait for it to open and sometimes that takes a while.

Thanks, Beth... I'm glad you speak "Anne". LOL

As forums go this place actually has in my opinion fairly good thread names. You would not believe the number of forums I've been on where almost every names their threads helpful things like "please help" or "hi" and when you have 20 threads with those 2 names its pretty useless. While we get some of that here I don't find it overdone.

It doesn't matter to me what the names are because I read them all anyway, LOL! It is hard to remember what the thread is about when it has a vague title, so I read them more once. If the titles were clearer it would help more people get their own questions answered, but like it has been said before, It's a free country!

I try to read the new posts are regularly as I can because so often we go off subject and the biggest treasure of information is in the most unlikely thread. We've all done it - answered or asked something that hit us because of the conversation in that thread. And then it is SO hard to find it when I want to refer to it again...

Maybe if we tried to remember to start a new thread when the light bulb shines through?!

AJPratt said:
I do click New Posts... I by no means am trying to control anyone...it was just a thought/my personal preferance. I just put my thoughts out there and asked the opinions of others, but please don't say I am spoiling anything. Judging by how much time I spend here and the number of posts I have, I think this is a great place. I just though it might be a good way to help the other (and newer) posters see which threads they may want to post in... or see good examples of how to start a thread...that's all. As experienced Cheffers, we need to set a good example! Think about it, how helpful would 80 threads just starting with the words "Can I..." (or something equally generic) be? I'm not a moderator of this site, just someone "thinking out loud".

And, nothing pops up when I roll my mouse over a thread title, so I have to click on it and wait for it to open and sometimes that takes a while.

Thanks, Beth... I'm glad you speak "Anne". LOL

Maybe I should have used regulate or moderate instead of control, but the point is that we aren't all going to be as clear as we would all like in that small amount of space. It's just not realistic to get that many people on the same page, at the same time.

I am sorry that mousing over the title doesn't work for you as it does for me and these other people. And that it takes so long to come up when you do click on it. I just thought that was a tip that you might not have known about.

I do understand what you are saying about time and experience both here and in PC. We just aren't always going to have text written in a way that everyone reads it the same way. That's the downside to things being in text. Yes, you have been with PC a while and do post here quite often, but you and I may still read things differently. I know I visit this site several times a day, I am not always posting--but I am here to read and learn just like everyone else.

It's a great thought, if we could all make that happen. I know, for me, I do the same as some of the others and just put in the first thing that comes to mind. However clear (or unclear) it comes out in text.

Like I said, just my 2 cents......and it may not be worth that much!!!

It was just a thought. I don't expect everyone to word everything exactly alike.

Obviously, I am in the minority as far as thread titles go. But that's nothing new to me anyway.

I just feel bad for some of the original posters when I see that a thread has 250 views and 1 response or none. And then the thread disappears because no one has posted and they could still use help. I can't help but think if they said "I need help with X" they may have found a solution. That's just me.

I agree with you Anne, but I also usually do agree with you. I will also admit that I sometimes use vague titles just cause I can't think of any thing else.

So, who is going to win the world series this year?

Sorry, just trying to change the subject!

soonerchef said:
I agree with you Anne, but I also usually do agree with you. I will also admit that I sometimes use vague titles just cause I can't think of any thing else.

Thanks! I have posted generic titles too, and got NO response. Talk about feeling rejected. LOL

The Mets are going to in BTW.

AJPratt said:
The Mets are going to in BTW.

Ewwwwwwwww!! DH and I have a long standing disagreement about the Mets...he is from NY and is a Mets/Jets fan (I love the Jets btw) and I was raised to hate the Mets, so of course I would marry a Mets fan! DH gets really upset when my oldest calls them the Poppie Mets...I feel somewhat bad but at least I have one person in the house on my side.

soonerchef said:

you should start a new thread if you are going to change the subject!! HAHAHAHA!!!! :eek: :D

I am getting a kick out of how a simple questions can cause so much controversy!!! I see the point of both sides though.

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

soonerchef said:

you should start a new thread if you are going to change the subject!! HAHAHAHA!!!! :eek: :D

I am getting a kick out of how a simple questions can cause so much controversy!!! I see the point of both sides though.

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

I wish the homepage would show more than one thread under the subject area. Does that make sense? But then I am sure Greg is getting tired of us trying to re-arrange his site all the time, ha!!

jrstephens said:
I wish the homepage would show more than one thread under the subject area. Does that make sense? But then I am sure Greg is getting tired of us trying to re-arrange his site all the time, ha!!
I love that we can click on "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" (under quick links)! Makes it easy to see what's new - unless one has to be away for a while - then lol!

jrstephens said:

Believe me, I did not expect the reaction I got. I just asked "What do you think" not, come verbally kick the crap out of me. I only created this thread because I have made posts and got either no response or something different than I needed. Which made me think: maybe I need to reword my questions and tell people what my specific question is and could someone else possibly feel the same way? Obviously not. I must be the only one who doesn't get exactly the response I am looking for.

Sure, I see both sides... It would make me unreasonable to not to be able to see the validity in someone's point, right?http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-013.gif

You just never know what can happen with just a simple question!
You trouble maker!!!!:p

I'm just a bad a**. What can I say?

Anne,
I think your first post wasn't clear enough for me to pick up on that. I have had the same problem as you. Sometimes I think noboby likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms. :p JK. :p LOL

Look what you guys did! Now you got the Jersey girl all worked up! Don't you know Anne's "day job" is with the mob? No wonder they keep kicking her off Chef Sucess at work, LOL!!

Fuggehdaboudit. Hey, did you know that my husband's voice is featured on a season opener of Soprano's? We're very proud.

A funny story: MY director went to a new director academy. They were talking about supporting their consultants, and trying to be positive when a consultant is down. They got to my director and she said, "Well, I want to hear them out but try not to let it turn into a b*tch session." Later on someone pulled her aside and said that after she had made her comment another director at her table said ,"Good, Lord... she must be from the North."

So you do have mob connections, Anne? Good to know! Next time a host doesn't call you back you can send someone after them!! LOL! How did Dave get that gig? And why is it only his voice? Tell us, tell us!!

AJPratt said:
Later on someone pulled her aside and said that after she had made her comment another director at her table said ,"Good, Lord... she must be from the North."

Oh, I'm dying here! She must have burnt some southern bell ears. :eek: Please, no offense to all of you southern bells. As one who is known (by my closest friends) as having a spicy vocabulary, this just kills me. However, I do notice when people swear when it's not appropriate -- and I'm REALLY good at knowing the right time and place for certain language.

Hey, should I have started a new thread. . .:eek:

Now I know who to call if I want to put a "hit" on somebody!! :eek: Good to know! My husband makes fun of me b/c I am fascinated with the mob, ha!! That's makes me sound a little crazy doesn't it?!

Non-offended Southernbell here!

Oh, I have some interesting language!

Someone from Sopranos called the radio station and since my husband was in charge, they put the call through to him. They needed someone to voice a liner sounding like they were on the air as they panned over the Atlantic City skyline. Not the last season, but the one before that the first season episode its my husband's voice that says, "Atlantic City loves its Oldies on Oldies 98.3" Amazing! He does ALOT of voice work, so it was great for his resume. He did the voice of Roger Clemen's security system.

AJPratt said:
Oh, I have some interesting language!

Someone from Sopranos called the radio station and since my husband was in charge, they put the call through to him. They needed someone to voice a liner sounding like they were on the air as they panned over the Atlantic City skyline. Not the last season, but the one before that the first season episode its my husband's voice that says, "Atlantic City loves its Oldies on Oldies 98.3" Amazing! He does ALOT of voice work, so it was great for his resume. He did the voice of Roger Clemen's security system.

Okay, that is cool ... us Houston cheffers are impressed!

So my DH's stepbrother & his wife live down the street from Pizzaland! I got to see it when we went to NJ over Labor Day. We would have ate there if it had opened earlier on Sunday!

That's cool about the voice work! Next time I break into Roger Clemen's house I'll listen more closely!

Could we keep up with the ever changing titles?
AJPratt said:
I think it would be helpful for people to be more specific with their post titles. Sometimes I feel silly when I read the title and think the post is about one thing and its about something else entirely. Any thoughts?

Added: I just feel bad for some of the original posters when I see that a thread has 250 views and 1 response or none. And then the thread disappears because no one has posted and they could still use help. I can't help but think if they said "I need help with X" they may have found a solution. That's just me.

AJPratt said:
Obviously, I am in the minority as far as thread titles go. But that's nothing new to me anyway.

I agree with you about getting a better response with more information in the title. I completely understand what you were saying, and I don't believe you are in the minority. :) I can see that it would be helpful to have more than.....

I need your help....or Do you have.....
Question for ya....or what should I do......
Can you send me everything you have.. ( a pet peeve of mine...could start a new thread on it, but I think I'll pass after reading this thread:rolleyes: )

I am MOST attracted to a message that I can help someone with or also have a question about, and SEE it quicker by a more specific title.

"Worst PC party?? I got mooned !!" :eek: (Will we hear this on the stage at conference?)
"Anyone else trying to conceive?" (that thread could have had 100 titles - great thread Anne!:D )

The only problem is that the threads often change direction and become interesting on several different levels and it becomes difficult to find something unrelated to the original post. I hope we can help the thread starter with their problem before we go into something else.;)

This thread went from titles, to baseball, to the mob, to voicework, to bad language, to Pizzaland, to breaking into Roger Clemens (we won't tell who dunnit, Gillian - oops !! sorry :eek: !!)..... to ???? who knows where it will go ----

Hey! It really wasn't me this time....I don't think! I was provoked!!

Hey, I didn't start this thread re-direction, but I just have to tell ya! In case you're Roger Clemens fans, when I was in high school I waited on him! The little league world series was here, & he brought his team to eat at the restaurant I worked at. He autographed my ticket book:)

Hey, Tina... Thanks!

Gillian: It was Andrea that tried to change the subject.

I don't mind going off topic too much. Maybe I should rename the thread.

ChefTotsy said:
And on another subject...(I have a short attention span).. LOL...Why in the world did SuperNova choose Lukas?!?!?!?!?!

He was very scary wasn't he? I only watched the show a few times, but I really liked Toby. Oh well. I will never buy their music anyway, so I don't know why I even care!

Oh, and sorry. I just changed the thread again!

Should we just see how many different subjects we can talk about in one thread?

Why not.... Hey, love the new pic!

Different subject here!How do yall quote more than one time in a post? I cannot figure that out.

jrstephens said:
How do yall quote more than one time in a post? I cannot figure that out.

The HTML code for a quote is '
(username) said:
'.

For multiples, I will click one the quote button for the first one I want to quote and then I usually just copy the other post and put the codes around it. You can preview post to see how it looks.

jrstephens said:

The HTML code for a quote is QUOTE=(username) in brackets [] follwed by the text and then /QUOTE in brackets [].

For multiples, I will click one the quote button for the first one I want to quote and then I usually just copy the other post and put the codes around it. You can preview post to see how it looks.

That is too much work for me, and I get another post if I quote each one individually, LOL!!

jrstephens said:

For the first text I want to quote, I usually right click the quote button to bring it up in a new window - we will call it window B. For the second quote, I will left click the quote button to bring up the reply in my 'current' window - we will call it window A.

Then I go to window B and copy the quoted part. I take it over to my window A and paste it in the reply. Now you have two quotes in your window A. Now only working in window A, you can answer the messages. IF you want to shorten the messages that you are quoting, then you can delete the text.

Just be sure to keep the beginning and ending part that have the word 'quote' in brackets and everything in the brackets. This is HTML and if you leave anything out it won't work right.

gilliandanielle said:
That is too much work for me, and I get another post if I quote each one individually, LOL!!

Thanks for all your directions! I will have to play around with it but for now I think I will follow what Gillian does .....

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • pchefkristin
  • General Chat
52 53 54 55 56
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Melissa78
  • General Chat