• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substitute for Sherry for Beef Stroganoff?

In summary, the recipe calls for just 1/4 cup of Sherry, one that would be suitable to drink. Due to religious beliefs, we don't purchase or consume any alcohol, so I don't even know what this tastes like...so I can't figure out what I should substitute for it. Normally where a recipe calls for wine, I just add more chicken broth or water, or grape or apple juice depending..., but I don't know what I should do for this one. Any ideas?I googled "substitue for sherry in cooking" and came up with this site with subsitutions for all types of alcohol, including sherry...hope it helps!
babywings76
Gold Member
The recipe calls for just 1/4 cup of Sherry, one that would be suitable to drink. Due to religious beliefs, we don't purchase or consume any alcohol, so I don't even know what this tastes like...so I can't figure out what I should substitute for it. Usually where a recipe calls for wine, I just add more chicken broth or water, or grape or apple juice depending..., but I don't know what I should do for this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the link! Google sure comes up with tons of things and I was overwhelmed! lol

If I make this again I will not use the sherry anyway! We didn't care for the flavor that it added and didn't use the 2nd amount it said to add. I personally would probably just add more beef broth.

I'd also add more beef broth in. I know in other recipes (I think Chicken Penne Al Fresco) it says to add in more chicken broth in place of white wine, and I'd do the same here

Well, I saw somewhere on a substitute list the mention of adding a little vinegar, I just put in a teeny tiny bit of Apple Cider Vinegar (it probably wasn't enough to do much of anything though. ;) ) We decided that we like other recipes for Beef Stroganoff better. I like when you use hamburger/ground turkey instead. It's nice to get some meat in with each bite of noodles and these chunks of meat were just too big for us. I did cut them small, but still...The sauce was okay, but I've had better. Oh well, I'm sure some people will love this, but we didn't care for it.

What can I use as a substitute for sherry in beef stroganoff?

There are several options that can be used as a substitute for sherry in beef stroganoff. Red wine, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar can all be used as replacements. Just keep in mind that the flavor may vary slightly depending on the substitute used.

Can I omit the sherry altogether in this recipe?

Yes, you can omit the sherry if you don't have any on hand or if you prefer not to use alcohol in your cooking. The dish may be slightly less flavorful without the sherry, but it will still be delicious.

Is there a non-alcoholic substitute for sherry in beef stroganoff?

If you're looking for a non-alcoholic substitute, you can use apple juice or white grape juice in place of sherry. Just keep in mind that the flavor may be slightly sweeter and less complex compared to using sherry.

How much of the substitute should I use?

The general rule of thumb is to use the same amount of substitute as you would sherry. For example, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sherry, you would use 1/4 cup of your chosen substitute instead.

Will using a substitute for sherry affect the overall taste of the dish?

Using a substitute for sherry may slightly alter the taste of the beef stroganoff, but it should still be delicious. Experiment with different substitutes to find the one that best suits your taste preferences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • babywings76