• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Possible webpage title: What is a Good Substitute for Gruyere Cheese in Recipes?

In summary, the preschool teacher is looking for a good substitute for Gruyere cheese in a new recipe that she got from the Food Network. She found the cheese, but doesn't want to spend $15 on it. The most affordable option that she has heard of so far is to use Swiss cheese.
babywings76
Gold Member
My son's preschool teacher was asking me today if I know of a good substitute for Gruyere cheese. She is making a new recipe that she got from the Food Network. The recipe has wild rice, chicken, cinnamon, cranberries, cream, and the gruyere cheese. The cheese is supposed to get melted. She found the cheese, but didn't want to spend $15 on it. So she's wondering if there's a good substitute (that is economical in price).

I looked it up online and I've heard a few different things: swiss (since Gruyere is a form of Swiss), Provolone, or Fontina. What do you think? Which do you think would be better for her in this recipe?

babywings76 said:
My son's preschool teacher was asking me today if I know of a good substitute for Gruyere cheese. She is making a new recipe that she got from the Food Network. The recipe has wild rice, chicken, cinnamon, cranberries, cream, and the gruyere cheese. The cheese is supposed to get melted. She found the cheese, but didn't want to spend $15 on it. So she's wondering if there's a good substitute (that is economical in price).

I looked it up online and I've heard a few different things: swiss (since Gruyere is a form of Swiss), Provolone, or Fontina. What do you think? Which do you think would be better for her in this recipe?

Well, Fontina is about the same price as Gruyere around here. I'd probably do a blend of Swiss and Provolone if it was me. HOWEVER - if she has an Aldi's near her, at Christmas, I was able to get Fontina AND Gruyere there for way less than the grocery store deli!

Thanks! I'll let her know. Unfortunately we don't have an Aldi's near us.

Go with Swiss. It's typical to substitute for each other or use both when making a fondue. They have similar tastes and melting properties.

a good quality swiss cheese
if you have Sams club they have some imported swiss there
I always get my cheeses there, and not ever buying from anywhere else!

1. What is a good substitute for Gruyere cheese?

A good substitute for Gruyere cheese is Swiss cheese. It has a similar nutty and slightly sweet flavor, and melts well in dishes like quiches, gratins, and fondue.

2. Can I use cheddar cheese instead of Gruyere?

While cheddar cheese has a stronger flavor than Gruyere, it can be used as a substitute in dishes like mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, and soups. However, it may not melt as well as Gruyere.

3. Is there a non-dairy substitute for Gruyere cheese?

Yes, there are several non-dairy options for Gruyere cheese, such as vegan cheese made from cashews or almond milk. These options may not have the same flavor as Gruyere but can provide a similar texture and meltability in dishes.

4. What can I use instead of Gruyere cheese in a salad?

Feta cheese is a good substitute for Gruyere in salads. It has a tangy and salty flavor that pairs well with greens and other salad ingredients. Blue cheese or goat cheese can also be used as alternatives.

5. Can I use Parmesan cheese instead of Gruyere in a recipe?

Parmesan cheese is a harder cheese with a stronger flavor than Gruyere, so it may not be the best substitute in all recipes. However, it can be used in dishes like pasta, pizza, and casseroles where the flavor of the cheese is not the main focus.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • PamperedK
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove