• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substitute for Gruyere cheese?

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
My son's preschool teacher was asking me today if I know of a good substitute for Gruyere cheese. She is making a new recipe that she got from the Food Network. The recipe has wild rice, chicken, cinnamon, cranberries, cream, and the gruyere cheese. The cheese is supposed to get melted. She found the cheese, but didn't want to spend $15 on it. So she's wondering if there's a good substitute (that is economical in price).

I looked it up online and I've heard a few different things: swiss (since Gruyere is a form of Swiss), Provolone, or Fontina. What do you think? Which do you think would be better for her in this recipe?

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
My son's preschool teacher was asking me today if I know of a good substitute for Gruyere cheese. She is making a new recipe that she got from the Food Network. The recipe has wild rice, chicken, cinnamon, cranberries, cream, and the gruyere cheese. The cheese is supposed to get melted. She found the cheese, but didn't want to spend $15 on it. So she's wondering if there's a good substitute (that is economical in price).

I looked it up online and I've heard a few different things: swiss (since Gruyere is a form of Swiss), Provolone, or Fontina. What do you think? Which do you think would be better for her in this recipe?

Well, Fontina is about the same price as Gruyere around here. I'd probably do a blend of Swiss and Provolone if it was me. HOWEVER - if she has an Aldi's near her, at Christmas, I was able to get Fontina AND Gruyere there for way less than the grocery store deli!

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
Thanks! I'll let her know. Unfortunately we don't have an Aldi's near us.

Becca_in_MD

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2009
Go with Swiss. It's typical to substitute for each other or use both when making a fondue. They have similar tastes and melting properties.

Zsu

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
a good quality swiss cheese
if you have Sams club they have some imported swiss there
I always get my cheeses there, and not ever buying from anywhere else!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
gailz2
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views