• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Homemade Pizza Dough be Used as a Substitute for Crescent Rolls?

In summary, there are several substitutes for crescent rolls that can be used in recipes such as puff pastry sheets, pre-made pizza dough, and homemade dough. Biscuits can also be used, but may not have the same flaky texture. The baking time may vary depending on the substitute used, and gluten-free dough can also be used with slight variations in taste and texture. Croissant dough and a simple homemade dough can also be used as substitutes. Adjust the baking time accordingly to ensure a thorough cooking.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Alot of the new recipes in the SB call for refrigerated pizza dough or crescent rolls. At home I make homemade pizza dough but wasn't sure if there was a good homemade substitute for the crescent rolls.

I have never made it at home, but something close might be puff pastry dough. But I think that might not be as easy to work with as the cresent rolls....

A year or so ago I copied down a recipe from here called Veggie Pizza Crust - Use in place of crescent rolls. I have never tried it but here is what I copied:

2 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon oil, divided

Combine dry
Add milk and 1/4 cup oil; mix well
Shape into ball
Knead 10 times
Press onto bottom & up sides of Large Bar Pan. Pierce with fork & brush with remaining oil.
Bake 12-14 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

If you try it, let me know how it is!

1. What can I use as a substitute for crescent rolls in a recipe?

There are a few options you can try as a substitute for crescent rolls. One option is to use puff pastry sheets, which can be found in the frozen section of most grocery stores. Another option is to use pre-made pizza dough, which can be rolled out and cut into triangles to mimic the shape of crescent rolls. Lastly, you can make your own dough using a combination of flour, butter, and baking powder.

2. Can I use biscuits as a substitute for crescent rolls?

While biscuits can be used as a substitute for crescent rolls in some recipes, they have a different texture and may not work as well in dishes that require a flaky and buttery crust. We recommend using puff pastry or pizza dough as a substitute instead.

3. How do I adjust the baking time if I use a substitute for crescent rolls?

The baking time may vary depending on the substitute you use. For puff pastry, follow the directions on the package and adjust the baking time accordingly. For pizza dough, you may need to bake it for a few minutes longer than crescent rolls. If you make your own dough, follow the baking time recommended in the recipe you are using.

4. Can I use gluten-free dough as a substitute for crescent rolls?

Yes, you can use gluten-free dough as a substitute for crescent rolls. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste may be slightly different from traditional crescent rolls. It is always a good idea to do a test batch before using it in a recipe to ensure it works well with the other ingredients.

5. Are there any other ingredients I can use instead of crescent rolls for a similar result?

Yes, in addition to the substitutes mentioned above, you can also use croissant dough as a substitute for crescent rolls. You can also make a simple dough using flour, butter, and milk to create a flaky crust for your recipe. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly to ensure it is fully cooked.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tashayoung
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih