• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substitute for Apricot Preserves?

In summary, there are several options for substituting apricot preserves in a recipe. Other fruit preserves, such as peach or raspberry, can be used as well as apricot jam or jelly. Alternatively, you can make your own apricot filling by cooking down fresh apricots with sugar and lemon juice. Dried apricots can also be used, but the texture and flavor will be slightly different. For glazes or sauces, other fruit preserves or apricot jam can be used. Honey can also be used as a substitute, but it may alter the flavor of the dish. Non-fruit substitutes such as maple syrup, agave nectar, or a combination of soy sauce and brown sugar can also work in certain recipes.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm so frustrated! I just came back from the grocery store and realized I forgot to buy apricot preserves. I do have some orange marmelade though. Do you think that would be an okay substitute? What I'm making is a recipe from a friend that I've made before and I think it's one of those recipes that a lot of people have done (or variations of). You do chicken, dry onion soup mix, French salad dressing, and the apricot preserves. Put in a crock pot or you can bake it in the oven.

So...think my orange marmalade is okay or should I do something else? It's too late to go back to the store and I don't shop on Sundays and this is for tomorrow.

I often substitute peach jam for apricot preserves, but I've never tried marmelade. It sounds to me like it might work, but I might add a little sugar to the sauce before you put it in the crock pot with the chicken.

The marmelade should work well

I think the marmalade would be fine as well.

I'd think the marmalade would work just as well, too. Did you try it? How did it go?
I always love hearing about substitution results!

I make this dish in the crock pot all the time.. One of my favorites. Let us know how it went!

Okay, thanks! I'm putting it together now. We eat at 4:30 today, so I'll let you know how it turns out when I get back home later. Thanks! :)

1. What can I use as a substitute for apricot preserves in a recipe?

There are a few options for substituting apricot preserves in a recipe. You can use other fruit preserves such as peach or raspberry, or you can use apricot jam or jelly. Another option is to make your own apricot filling by cooking down fresh apricots with sugar and lemon juice.

2. Can I use dried apricots as a substitute for apricot preserves?

Yes, you can use dried apricots as a substitute for apricot preserves, but keep in mind that the texture and flavor will be slightly different. To use dried apricots, chop them into small pieces and simmer them in water until soft. Then, add sugar and lemon juice to create a jam-like consistency.

3. What can I use instead of apricot preserves in a glaze or sauce?

If you don't have apricot preserves on hand, you can use other fruit preserves such as peach or mango to make a glaze or sauce. You can also use apricot jam or jelly, or make your own apricot filling by cooking down fresh apricots with sugar and lemon juice.

4. Can I use honey as a substitute for apricot preserves?

Honey can be used as a substitute for apricot preserves, but keep in mind that the flavor will be different. Honey is sweeter and has a more distinct taste, so it may alter the flavor of your dish. If you do use honey, use a slightly smaller amount than the recommended amount of apricot preserves.

5. Are there any non-fruit substitutes for apricot preserves?

While fruit preserves or jams are the most common substitutes for apricot preserves, there are a few non-fruit options that can work in certain recipes. For sweet dishes, you can use maple syrup or agave nectar. For savory dishes, you can use a combination of soy sauce and brown sugar to mimic the flavor of apricot preserves.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies