• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cake Disaster - Trying Out Torte Pans

In summary, the cake stuck to the rack and the one on the platter also stuck to the platter. The one on the platter also broke.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Well ... I made a cake tonight and against my better judgement, I used the torte pans.

Even used the circles of parchment to avoid sticking and trying out the cake.

Well, after 15 minutes I had to pull it out of the oven b/c I could smell it burning.

Didn't want it to burn more in the hot pans, so I immediately turned them out on the cooling rack. Shortly thereafter, moved one of the cakes to my platter.

Well, the one I left on the cooling rack stuck to the rack so bad that it broke!

The one on the platter also stuck to the platter!

I can't frost it until tomorrow b/c I couldn't find food coloring anywhere, and I'm really hoping I can cover it up!

Next time I'll just use mom's tried and true layer cake pans. Sheesh.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well ... I made a cake tonight and against my better judgement, I used the torte pans.

Even used the circles of parchment to avoid sticking and trying out the cake.

Well, after 15 minutes I had to pull it out of the oven b/c I could smell it burning.

Didn't want it to burn more in the hot pans, so I immediately turned them out on the cooling rack. Shortly thereafter, moved one of the cakes to my platter.

Well, the one I left on the cooling rack stuck to the rack so bad that it broke!

The one on the platter also stuck to the platter!

I can't frost it until tomorrow b/c I couldn't find food coloring anywhere, and I'm really hoping I can cover it up!

Next time I'll just use mom's tried and true layer cake pans. Sheesh.

Hmmm I've never had my torte pans stick. Did you use Pam w/flour too? I use that along with the parchment paper and get perfect results every time.

Don't things bake in those pans in about 10-12 min.? (I know that's the max for a brownie mix). The top is so thin, it doesn't take long, that's why they're great for shows. They cook and cool quickly. As far as moving it from the rack to the serving plate, I'll never understand why they discontinued the lift and serve right when they came out with the torte pans..I've never had any trouble either, use parchment circles and Baker's Joy.

Yes, make sure you use the nonstick with flour all over ... shouldn't have to bake it too long. I've never had trouble either. Hmmm....maybe try again! I love these!

I don't know what it is ... cake mix only gives times for 9 inch pans.

Yes, I used pam with flour. They didn't stick to the pans, they stuck to every surface I cooled the cakes on! I tried to use the mega scraper and only ended up with a mega mess!

I agree....try again. I love mine. But you can only cook in them for about 10-12 minutes. They are too thin for an entire cake cooking time. I do have trouble with hot cakes sticking to my cooling racks sometimes though.

Don't use the cake mix instructions for baking. Use the Torte Pan instructions. Also, be sure to follow the Torte Pan instructions for the length of time to cool in the pan. Otherwise the cake is too fragile and can break as you try to turn it out. Also, placing the cake on a cooling rack too early can make it stick to the rack.

leftymac said:
Hmmm I've never had my torte pans stick. Did you use Pam w/flour too? I use that along with the parchment paper and get perfect results every time.

Same here, I LOVE mine!!

I agree - I LOVE mine too! I have several great recipes I use with them and share with my guest when they purchase them. I use wax paper (cheaper than parchment paper) on my cooling racks whenever I turn something out on them to cool. Two reasons: 1. I'm a little lacks on washing the cooling racks and use them all the time. 2. I don't want my baked goods to stick or take on the inprints of the cooling rack.

lpacker said:
I agree - I LOVE mine too! I have several great recipes I use with them and share with my guest when they purchase them. I use wax paper (cheaper than parchment paper) on my cooling racks whenever I turn something out on them to cool. Two reasons: 1. I'm a little lacks on washing the cooling racks and use them all the time. 2. I don't want my baked goods to stick or take on the inprints of the cooling rack.

good idea on wax paper, can you give us some good torte pan recipes, your favorite?sorry, Maybe this should be on another thread.
thanks

Yes, I don't flip the cakes out of their pan until I need them several minutes later and haven't had a problem either :) I loooove them!

Di_Can_Cook said:

Yes, I used pam with flour. They didn't stick to the pans, they stuck to every surface I cooled the cakes on! I tried to use the mega scraper and only ended up with a mega mess!

I hope you saved your "meag mess"... layer those cake crumbles with fruit and cool whip or pudding in the trifle bowl!!

Di_Can_Cook said:

LOL well that's not the pan's fault!! LOL

I can't recall but do we also lower the temp since they are the darker pans?

I love my torte pans, and suggest you change your baking time, set the pan to cool on our cooling rack, and after five minutes flip it out on your plate, directly rather than onto your cooling rack. I've been trying to come up with a "green" dessert for St. Pat's dinner. I think you have inspired me to do a Yellow cake Torte and will it with Pischacio pudding.
I like the Trifle idea too, for those poor test results.

I doon't have my PIG anymore, but I seem to recall that being for a recipe where I put all the stuff in one pan ....Actually ... it all worked out. The messed up part was on the bottom of each layer. The tops were fine. Aside from a bit of burnt stuff which I ignored, they were fine ... and the moistest cake I ever made. Go parchment!This weekend, however, when I take a cake to my church, I will use the traditional cake pans, even though they make a smaller cake. Reasons? First, I have nothing to transport a cake of that size in. Second, a tub of frosting more than covers a regular cake, but barely and badly covers a cake made in the torte pan.My roomate is ANTI pudding so I resorted to putting the pudding in the mix and coloring the frosting green. The cake barely had a green cast to it. But I've done the pudding in the wells before and it was a huge hit.

cookingwithlove said:
Yes, but we SELL Parchment paper!!

This is where when I'm doing a recipe at home I use waxed paper, but at shows I use parchment paper. No one needs to know ;)

Can you use wax paper in the pans? Curious for future reference.I borrowed a thing of parchment a long time ago and can't find the PC stuff to save my life.

I used to use the parchment paper, but tried a couple times without. I haven't really noticed a difference. The pans are so wonderfully non-stick, things release beautifully. I spray them with Baker's Joy first, though (non-stick spray w/ flour).

Usually, the non stick pans need to be baked at a 25 degree lower temp. Better safe than sorry, so always bake lower.

Anyone ever tried the Creamy Mojito Torte? Opinion?

It is yummy. Nice and tart. A little putzy for a show but good!

Putzy? LOL.. I'm not sure what that means. I am making other things as well.. thought it would be a quick dessert but I have never tried it :)

I love my torts too! I have used the clear bowl part of the salad spinner as a lid when transporting torts on a serving platter. Works pretty good.

PCAnna said:
Anyone ever tried the Creamy Mojito Torte? Opinion?

It is awesome! All my friends ask for it when their birthdays roll around. Nothing but great things to say about it. Make sure you use Mint extract and not peppermint - that would ruin it for sure.​

I am with you there amanda... I don't use parchment paper either. I just spray the pan and bake.. :)

If you do not have the PIG or Use & Care instructions that came with the pans, they are both on CC. That resource is there so we do not have issues with "our" products. Check those, follow them exactly then if you still have issues, then blame the pan. Then ask the test kitchens.

What are the best torte pans to use for baking a cake?

The best torte pans for baking a cake are typically made of durable materials such as aluminum or stainless steel. Non-stick coatings can also be helpful for easy release of the cake. Some popular options include the Pampered Chef Round Cake Pan Set and the Pampered Chef Springform Pan.

How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the torte pan?

To prevent your cake from sticking to the torte pan, make sure to properly grease and flour the pan before adding the batter. You can also try lining the pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Avoid using cooking sprays with non-stick coatings, as they can cause buildup over time.

Do I need to adjust the baking time when using torte pans?

Yes, you may need to adjust the baking time when using torte pans. The baking time will vary depending on the size and material of the pan, as well as the type of cake batter. It is important to follow the recipe instructions and check the cake for doneness using a toothpick or cake tester.

Can I use torte pans for other desserts besides cakes?

Yes, torte pans can be used for a variety of desserts including cheesecakes, pies, and tarts. They are also great for making savory dishes like quiches and frittatas. Just make sure to adjust the recipe and baking time accordingly for different types of desserts.

How do I clean and care for my torte pans?

To clean your torte pans, wash them with warm soapy water and a soft sponge. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or steel wool, as they can damage the non-stick coating. If the pans have stubborn residue, soak them in warm water before cleaning. To prolong the life of your torte pans, avoid using metal utensils and be sure to dry them thoroughly before storing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lkbcovington
Replies
Views
doughmama