• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with a Sick Toddler and Needing Advice

a decrease in this indicates that they are losing more water from the skin than they are taking in)Keep him hydrated with fluids and try to get him to eat if he won't drink/drink fluids. I would also recommend giving him Pedialyte or other fluids to sips so that he doesn't vomit it all back up. His fever is not a concern at this time.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
Ok So I have been up half the night with my 2yr old. He started vomiting arround 10pm last night and has continued to done so off and on. The last time was arround 8:30 this morning. It's more like dry heaves now. I called the nurse line and have ben waiting 1 1/2 hrs for them to call me back.
I never dealt with this before. My kids have of course(sp) thrown up before but not like this! He does seem better. I'm trying to get some fluids into him but he will not eat. I do not want to push him but he looks so worn down.

On top of it all I have a show tonight with a whole new group of people! I have a sitter comming since my hubby is OOT. She is just a teenager and I hate for her to deal with this.....

I guess I just do not know what to do....

Thanks for letting me ramble......

There's no more perfect place to ramble than here among friends.

I hope your son gets feeling better soon.

Oh, it's so hard when the little ones are sick.

Give him sips of Pedialyte all day to keep him hydrated. Don't let him chug it or he'll just barf it all back up.

Does he have a fever?

have you tried pedia lite? stay away from sugary drinks and sports drinks also. if you want them to eat try something like a broth or chicken noodle soup...there is a nasty virus going around all over that leads to pneumonia so watch real careful. sorry cant offer better advice

If he has dry heaves, he needs to get something in his system to throw up or he'll hurt more. Pedialyte is best, but if he refuses to eat, give him a popsicle to at least get some liquid in him.

monica_sweetconsultant said:
have you tried pedia lite? stay away from sugary drinks and sports drinks also. if you want them to eat try something like a broth or chicken noodle soup...there is a nasty virus going around all over that leads to pneumonia so watch real careful. sorry cant offer better advice

Grrreeeeaaaatttttt......

He wasn't diggin the pedia lite so I wattered down his apple juice (he's used to it this way anyway) and is finally sipping on that.

Well he's walking arround a bit so hopefully he is perking up. He dos not feel feverish.

etteluap70PC said:
Grrreeeeaaaatttttt......

He wasn't diggin the pedia lite so I wattered down his apple juice (he's used to it this way anyway) and is finally sipping on that.

Well he's walking arround a bit so hopefully he is perking up. He dos not feel feverish.

My kids aren't too thrilled with it either...at least he's sipping on something. Keep the fluids going in him to make up for what he lost - hope the vomiting is over!

It's REALLY important to get the fluids into him or you'll end up in the ER to get him rehydrated with IV's (dehydration in kids can happen quickly and be very serious -- my 3 year old nephew was in the ER Christmas Eve for rehydration IV's)

Pedialyte makes popsicles (or freeze what you have and make him a slushy) -- even if it's water down juice that's fine, it's just important to keep the fluids in him. Pedialyte is better than juice because it has electrolytes in it, but juice or water is better than nothing.

My son won't do the Pedialyte either.....I think as long as he's drinking something and keeping it down that is the key right now!
We had a horrible virus run thru our whole family during Jan....thought it was the flu, and only afterwards did we learn there was a Noro-Virus (what they get on Cruise Ships)Epidemic in West MI.! My 2 yr old was miserable! It's hard to watch your little ones be sick - hope he's feeling better soon!

How to check for dehydration:

Among the signs and symptoms that your Pediatrician will look at to determine if your child is dehydrated include:

~the amount of weight loss, which usually correlates to how dehydrated a child is (so 5 percent weight loss likely means that they are 5 percent dehydrated)
~how often and how much they are urinating (children with diabetes may continue to urinate frequently, even when they are severely dehydrated, so this isn't always a reliable sign)
~the presence of tears, a moist mouth and tongue, and whether or not their eyes are sunken
~their capillary refill (briefly press on your child's nail bed so that it blanches or turns white, and see how long it takes to return to normal)
~skin fold recall or skin turgor test (gently pinch your child's skin on their abdomen, hold it for a few seconds and then let it go to see how long it takes to return to the normal position)

Symptoms of Minimal Dehydration
Most children who are sick, either with a cold or mild stomach bug, will have minimal or no dehydration.

These children are alert and appear well and have:
normal thirst or may refuse some liquids
a moist mouth and tongue
normal to slightly decreased urine output
less than 3 percent weight loss
normal heart rate, pulses, breathing, and warm extremities
capillary refill less than 2 seconds
instant recoil on skin turgor test
eyes not sunken (and/or fontanel in a baby)
Symptoms of Mild to Moderate Dehydration
Once their dehydration worsens, children may begin to feel tired, restless, and irritable, which makes it difficult to get them to drink more fluids. Other signs and symptoms of mild to moderate dehydration, for which you should usually call your Pediatrician, include:
increased thirst
a dry mouth and tongue
decreased urine output
3 to 9 percent weight loss
normal to increased heart rate and pulses, normal to fast breathing, and cool extremities
capillary refill greater than 2 seconds
recoil on skin turgor test in less than 2 seconds
slightly sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)
Symptoms of Severe Dehydration
Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and you should seek immediate medical attention. These children appear lethargic (meaning they are difficult to keep awake) or may be unconscious. They also may have:
poor drinking or may be unable to drink
a parched mouth and tongue
minimal or no urine output
greater than 9 percent weight loss
increased heart rate, weak pulses, deep breathing, and cool, mottled extremities
capillary refill that is very prolonged or minimal
recoil on skin turgor test in more than 2 seconds
deeply sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)

ivykeep said:
How to check for dehydration:

Among the signs and symptoms that your Pediatrician will look at to determine if your child is dehydrated include:

~the amount of weight loss, which usually correlates to how dehydrated a child is (so 5 percent weight loss likely means that they are 5 percent dehydrated)
~how often and how much they are urinating (children with diabetes may continue to urinate frequently, even when they are severely dehydrated, so this isn't always a reliable sign)
~the presence of tears, a moist mouth and tongue, and whether or not their eyes are sunken
~their capillary refill (briefly press on your child's nail bed so that it blanches or turns white, and see how long it takes to return to normal)
~skin fold recall or skin turgor test (gently pinch your child's skin on their abdomen, hold it for a few seconds and then let it go to see how long it takes to return to the normal position)

Symptoms of Minimal Dehydration
Most children who are sick, either with a cold or mild stomach bug, will have minimal or no dehydration.

These children are alert and appear well and have:
normal thirst or may refuse some liquids
a moist mouth and tongue
normal to slightly decreased urine output
less than 3 percent weight loss
normal heart rate, pulses, breathing, and warm extremities
capillary refill less than 2 seconds
instant recoil on skin turgor test
eyes not sunken (and/or fontanel in a baby)
Symptoms of Mild to Moderate Dehydration
Once their dehydration worsens, children may begin to feel tired, restless, and irritable, which makes it difficult to get them to drink more fluids. Other signs and symptoms of mild to moderate dehydration, for which you should usually call your Pediatrician, include:
increased thirst
a dry mouth and tongue
decreased urine output
3 to 9 percent weight loss
normal to increased heart rate and pulses, normal to fast breathing, and cool extremities
capillary refill greater than 2 seconds
recoil on skin turgor test in less than 2 seconds
slightly sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)
Symptoms of Severe Dehydration
Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and you should seek immediate medical attention. These children appear lethargic (meaning they are difficult to keep awake) or may be unconscious. They also may have:
poor drinking or may be unable to drink
a parched mouth and tongue
minimal or no urine output
greater than 9 percent weight loss
increased heart rate, weak pulses, deep breathing, and cool, mottled extremities
capillary refill that is very prolonged or minimal
recoil on skin turgor test in more than 2 seconds
deeply sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)

Thanks Laura! That's good info to have on hand!

Well the nurse from the clinic finally caled back. Seems like there is a run of stomach fly going arround. I can possibly look forward to 3 to 4 days of icky runny diapers and an out of sorts child.

All I can Say is Yippiee! Ahh the joys of motherhood!!!

I love being a mom but some days yeally test you as a person!

My daughter woke up with it Tuesday morning. As soon as she ate, she threw everything back up plus everything from the night before. She couldn't eat all day and hardly drank anything for a while. I had her sipping on weak tea though and it was gone the next day. She's eating like normal now. On the other hand though, my MIL is treating one of her grandchildren for throwing up and runny diapers since March 1st and he's FINALLY getting over it. He's only 10 months old. It seems to hit the younger ones harder and it's definately making the rounds. Good luck sounds like you're gonna need it!

I don't have much else to add, but when they throw up, make sure you wait about an hour before you try to give them anything else, and then limit it to a couple of tablespoons till you see that will stay down for an hour, then double it (4 T.) till that stays down...and on and on.

Plus, when you go to give them foods, keep them very plain (banana, toast or applesauce) and do the same thing adding gradually.

Once they throw up, you start the process again.

Hope all goes well for you, espcially since you have a sitter tonight. Any other "adult" you could have step in since he is sick? (Not sure how comfortable you are with your sitter...sometimes they are really good, but still couldn't handle a sick little one.)

My son is the KING of vomitting! Anytime he feels remotely sick, he vomits!

He had a bad stomach virus a couple of months ago when he vomitted 13 times in a few hours. After the first 2 times, all that was coming up was bile (It was yellow and foamy). Dr said to let it run it's course.

After an hour of not vomitting, I'd give him some liquid by the teaspoon, as Kelly suggested. If in 10-15 minutes, nothing came up, I'd give him another teaspoon or two.

I waited 8-12 hours after he stopped vomitting to give him any solid food. Crackers, bread were best. (Think bland foods)

My doctor said watered-down Gatorade was fine too, if we didn't have Pedialyte on hand.

Paulette, hope your son feels better soon!

1. How can I keep my sick toddler comfortable while they are recovering?

The best way to keep your sick toddler comfortable is by making sure they are well-rested and hydrated. Offer them plenty of fluids and a cozy place to rest, such as a warm bed or comfortable couch. You can also use a cool mist humidifier to help ease congestion and make breathing easier for your little one.

2. What are some natural remedies for a sick toddler?

There are a few natural remedies you can try to help your sick toddler feel better. Some options include using a saline nasal spray to loosen mucus, giving them honey to soothe a sore throat, and using a warm compress to ease aches and pains. It's always best to consult with your child's pediatrician before trying any natural remedies.

3. When should I take my sick toddler to the doctor?

If your toddler is showing signs of a high fever (over 100.4°F), difficulty breathing, severe vomiting or diarrhea, or a rash, it's best to take them to the doctor. Also, if their symptoms last for more than a few days or seem to be getting worse, it's always better to err on the side of caution and seek medical advice.

4. How can I prevent my other children from getting sick from my sick toddler?

To prevent the spread of illness to other children in your household, make sure to wash your hands frequently and encourage your sick toddler to do the same. Also, try to limit contact between your sick toddler and other children, such as having them stay in a separate room or wearing a mask. Disinfecting commonly touched surfaces, like toys and doorknobs, can also help prevent the spread of germs.

5. What foods should I give my sick toddler?

When your toddler is sick, it's best to stick to bland, easy-to-digest foods like toast, crackers, and chicken noodle soup. Avoid giving them dairy products or sugary foods, as they can worsen symptoms. It's also important to make sure your child stays hydrated, so offer them plenty of water, broth, or diluted juice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lesliec
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies