• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Strawberry-Spinach Salad Recipe with Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing

In summary, there is a recipe for a Strawberry Spinach Salad that includes a dressing made of lemon, white wine vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil, and poppy seeds. Some people have concerns about the amount of sugar in the dressing, but others have successfully made it using Splenda. The salad also includes toasted almonds, strawberries, cucumber, red onion, and baby spinach. Some have made modifications to the recipe, such as using canola or olive oil, or using a different type of sugar. It is also possible to make the dressing without a Measure Mix n Pour, by using a jar with a tight lid and shaking the ingredients together. Some have suggested reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe. The Whisk needed for this recipe
RMDave
Gold Member
I made this salad as part of my "show from hell" on Thursday. People seemed to love it, but there seems to be one heck of a lot of sugar in it.

Dressing
1 lemon
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp poppy seeds

For dressing, zest lemon using Microplane Grater to measure ½ tsp. zest. Juice lemon using Citrus Press to measure 2 tbsp juice. Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in Measure Mix n Pour. Whisk until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.

After whisking, refrigerating, re-whisking and pouring it over the salad, there was still sugar slowly dripping over the salad.

Is there really enough lemon juice and vinegar being used? 1 tablespoon of oil? That's it?

Anybody have any suggestions? As I said, people seemed to love the salad.

That's the recipe I've always used. People do love it. I double the oil. I use C&H Baker's Sugar to make it, which is a super-fine granulated sugar, and dissolves quicker. OR I use Agave Nectar, about 1/4 cup.

Dave,

This is one of my favorite recipes. . .and yes, there is a great deal of sugar. When I use sugar, I just make sure the person mixing the dressing whisks the heck out of it. I wanted you to know that I have successfully made this with Splenda and people were equally as pleased as when I've used sugar.

Strawberry Spinach Salad
Dressing
1 lemon
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp poppy seeds

Salad
¼ cup sliced natural almonds, toasted
8 oz. (1 ½ cups) strawberries, hulled and quartered
½ med. Cucumber, sliced and cut in half
¼ small red onion, sliced into thin wedges (1/4 cup)
1 package (6 ounces) baby spinach

For dressing, zest lemon to measure ½ tsp zest. Juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp juice. Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in a bowl. Whisk until well blended. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350° F. For salad, spread almonds in single layer over bottom of a small bar pan.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; cool almonds in bar pan.

Meanwhile, hull strawberries; cut strawberries into quarters.

Score cucumber lengthwise; remove seeds. Slice cucumber; cut slices in half/ Slice onion into thin wedges.

Place spinach in large serving bowl; add strawberries, cucumber and onion. Whisk dressing; pour over salad, gently tossing to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately

This is an awesome recipe. I make it exactly as the recipe reads and everyone loves it.

I used Splenda, as well, and everyone loved it!!

I make this salad all the time, and have also used both splenda and sugar, with no discernable taste difference. I've also used canola and olive oils in place of the vegetable oil.The huge amount of sugar makes up for the small amount of oil in it, I guess.

ChefBeckyD said:
That's the recipe I've always used. People do love it. I double the oil. I use C&H Baker's Sugar to make it, which is a super-fine granulated sugar, and dissolves quicker. OR I use Agave Nectar, about 1/4 cup.

I'll try the super-fine sugar. Thanks so much for responding.

I'm going to try this with Splenda for sure. Thanks, Keith. I used Olive Oil the other evening.

I'm going to see if my host for my 3-day breast cancer walk show this weekend but I don't have a pc whisk or the Measure Mix n Pour. Any idea what I can use in place of the Measure Mix n Pour?

Thanks!

I made this at one of my very first shows and I did not have the MM&P either. I used an old Naturally Fresh salad dressing jar with a screw top. Tighten and shake (with appropriate silliness) until dissolved. No one complained or noticed. They LOVED the salad and it is now one of my "go to" recipes.

(And I use Splenda instead of sugar, too.)​

and there is nothing in the "rules" that says you can't cut the sugar down a bit either. You won't miss it. (I typically cut sugar down some- if it calls for a cup, I'd put in 2/3 and see how that is.)

PamperedSD said:
I'm going to see if my host for my 3-day breast cancer walk show this weekend but I don't have a pc whisk or the Measure Mix n Pour. Any idea what I can use in place of the Measure Mix n Pour?

Thanks!

The Whisk comes in the New Consultant Kit. What happened to yours?

leftymac said:
The Whisk comes in the New Consultant Kit. What happened to yours?

I have the mini kit so I don't have it or the Ultimate Mandoline either :(. I always use the DCB for my shows but I'm looking for new go to recipes and I think this is going to be one.

THANKS!

PamperedSD said:
I have the mini kit so I don't have it or the Ultimate Mandoline either :(. I always use the DCB for my shows but I'm looking for new go to recipes and I think this is going to be one.

THANKS!

Nothing says you HAVE to use a PC whisk anyway. There's nothing wrong with using a non-PC whisk, and just explain to customers that you don't have it. They won't care.

What are the ingredients for Strawberry-Spinach Salad?

The ingredients for Strawberry-Spinach Salad are fresh spinach leaves, sliced strawberries, sliced red onion, crumbled feta cheese, and a homemade vinaigrette dressing.

How do I make the vinaigrette dressing for this salad?

To make the vinaigrette dressing, you will need olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and salt and pepper. Simply whisk all of the ingredients together until well combined.

Can I substitute the spinach for another type of leafy green?

Yes, you can substitute the spinach for other leafy greens such as arugula or mixed greens. Just be sure to chop them into bite-sized pieces before adding them to the salad.

How far in advance can I prepare this salad?

It is best to prepare this salad no more than an hour before serving. If you are making it ahead of time, keep the dressing and the salad ingredients separate until just before serving to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.

Can I add other toppings to this salad?

Absolutely! You can add other toppings such as sliced almonds, dried cranberries, or grilled chicken to make the salad more filling. Get creative and add your favorite ingredients to make it your own!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmoseley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • dannyzmom