• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stop Using Credit Cards! You're Throwing Money Down the Drain!

In summary, the conversation is about the benefits of using credit cards responsibly and paying them off each month to avoid interest charges. The speakers also discuss the rewards and points that can be earned through responsible credit card use, and the importance of being disciplined and not overspending. They also mention the benefits of cutting up credit cards and using cash instead, as well as the positive impact of going through Financial Peace University and becoming debt-free.
nikked
Gold Member
Unless you are one of the minority who actually PAYS OFF the credit card every month, you are wasting money on interest. After going through Financial Peace University, boy did we ever learn a lot. We haven't accumulated new debt in about six months, including having our FIRST debt-free Christmas ever. It was liberating! Hard... but LIBERATING!

So, cut up those cards and stop paying interest. You'll be glad you did!

Agreed! The so called money you earn or points, are outweighed by the fees and interest. We use ours for online purchased, large purchases, and items i buy for scouts and then expense. We earn points and use for airline miles to see the grandparents or bring them to us. Well, I have to spend $25,000 to get one ticket. Cheaper to buy the ticket! I suspect if you do the math, you would find similar on the cashback and other points. Even double miles cards, that
is more than $10,000 to get a $300-500 airline ticket or other item?

It is WAY too easy to spend more than you should with a credit card. With cash, you are going to be a bit stingier!

nikked said:

Certainly you must pay off each month for it to be rewarding. But you can easily set your credit limit to something you can afford. Even as low as $500/m. Just because they give you $5000/m limit doesn't mean you have to take it.

esavvymom said:
Even double miles cards, that
is more than $10,000 to get a $300-500 airline ticket or other item?

Even if it takes you 3-4 years to get that, it's worth it. With cash you get nothing. There are lots of reward cards with no annual fee. :)

I have one credit card almost paid off but we have used it for medical bills. We do have an awsome intrest rate (less then 6%). Medical intrest rates are much higher then that.

Making good use of credit cards that offer rewards back (cash or gifts or miles) is just a matter of discipline--only charge what you can actually pay off totally every month--then make sure you put that money aside to pay it off on time. We earn cash dividends back on ours and pay no annual fee and no interest.

gailz2 said:
Making good use of credit cards that offer rewards back (cash or gifts or miles) is just a matter of discipline--only charge what you can actually pay off totally every month--then make sure you put that money aside to pay it off on time. We earn cash dividends back on ours and pay no annual fee and no interest.

Agreed!

I have never paid interest to any major credit card (VISA, etc) and only once ever paid interest on a dept store one (and that was because I did not complete the transaction thru billpay online all the way...and I called and they reduced the amount).

I use my credit cards instead of writing a check or paying cash - not becaues I can't pay with a check or cash.

So, no, I am not rich or lucky. I just can't stand paying interest. The irritation of paying interest outweighs any desire for a product.

Jennie4PC said:
I have one credit card almost paid off but we have used it for medical bills. We do have an awsome intrest rate (less then 6%). Medical intrest rates are much higher then that.

But, if you have to pay interest ANYWAY- then it doesn't matter where your best rate is -- as long as you find a good rate.

that's why we use the card. Less intrest and reward points

nikked said:
Unless you are one of the minority who actually PAYS OFF the credit card every month, you are wasting money on interest. After going through Financial Peace University, boy did we ever learn a lot. We haven't accumulated new debt in about six months, including having our FIRST debt-free Christmas ever. It was liberating! Hard... but LIBERATING!

Best thing we ever did....Financial Peace University......we have used only cash for the last 4 years and have not incurred any new debt. Debt free except for our house and car.

I pay for everything with a credit card and then pay it off each month. I have gotten over $700 in cash back in the last two years that I wouldn't have had. I am careful to keep track so I don't overspend. I pretty much buy the same amount each month on groceries and gas and then I watch other purchases to make sure I am able to pay it all when due. The only debt we have is the house and our interest rate on the new house is just 2.75%!

It's hard right now because we *need* so many things for the new house but I am putting off until tomorrow what can wait. I have paper taped onto the windows until I know I have the money for the custom blinds - should be next week. Other things can wait too. I am busy enough with unpacking that I don't need to get things ahead of myself.

1. What is the main reason to stop using credit cards?

The main reason to stop using credit cards is to avoid paying high interest rates. When you use a credit card, you are essentially borrowing money from the credit card company and they charge interest on the amount you borrow. This means that you end up paying more for the items you purchase with a credit card compared to if you had paid with cash or a debit card.

2. How can I break the habit of using credit cards?

Breaking the habit of using credit cards can be challenging, but it is possible. One way to start is by creating a budget and sticking to it. This will help you to manage your expenses and avoid overspending. You can also try leaving your credit cards at home and only carrying enough cash for what you need. Another helpful tip is to find alternative ways to cope with stress or emotional spending, such as exercising or talking to a friend.

3. Will stopping the use of credit cards affect my credit score?

Stopping the use of credit cards may have a temporary impact on your credit score, as your credit utilization ratio may decrease. However, in the long run, it can actually improve your credit score as you will have less debt and a better payment history. It is important to also note that closing credit card accounts can also have a negative impact on your credit score, so it's best to keep them open but not use them.

4. Can I still use my credit card for emergencies?

While it is not recommended to use credit cards for everyday purchases, it is still okay to use them for emergencies. However, it's important to have a plan in place for paying off the balance as soon as possible to avoid accruing interest. You can also consider having an emergency fund in place so that you don't have to rely on credit cards in case of an emergency.

5. Are there any benefits to using credit cards?

Yes, there are some benefits to using credit cards. They can help you build credit, which is important for things like getting approved for a loan or renting an apartment. Some credit cards also offer rewards programs, such as cash back or travel points, which can be beneficial if used responsibly. However, the key is to use credit cards wisely and pay off the balances in full each month to avoid paying interest.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
feefee04
  • NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies