• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware & Using Pans on Top of It

In summary, The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens do not recommend placing cookware on top of their stoneware.
tlennhoff
I wrote to HO about why we should not put pans on top of the stoneware and this was their answer:

Thank you for your question about our stoneware.

We do not recommend placing cookware on top of our stoneware because the stoneware could chip, crack, scratch or break if something is placed on top. We hope this answers your question. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens

I'm not convinced I should not be putting my challah pans or muffin pans on the stoneware based on the above as I can't figure out why it would chip/crack/scratch?/break just from having something on top of it that is lightweight.

What do you all think?

Were they thinking maybe pan pans, not baking pans? <shrug> Just a thought, maybe they misunderstood?

That would make more sense. LOL. I should have been really, really, explicit. Maybe I'll respond asking for clarification.

Sorry Tasha, that I couldn't be more help. I was just trying to think what the problem would be. As I think about, I have two stones on the stove (it's turned off) that need to be washed.... my DH put the pot from dinner on them... I don't think that it's hurting anything... LOL! ;)

You were a help, you got me to reread the email and think HMMMM. I wrote to them asking for clarification. Hopefully I'll have more information within the next week.

And the final word:

We don't recommend any cookware, be professional, executive or any other cookware (ours or anyone else's) be used in this manner which could possibly damage the stoneware. We hope this answers your question. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens

I think I remember someone asking about putting the prep bowls on the stones and they said not to I think they said somehing about shocking the stone and it could crack.

Are you all saying while baking? Or just storing?
I store my stoneware stacked on each other (not pots and pans on it, just stones) and have for well over 14 years. Never a problem.
But a couple of months ago a glass slipped from the sink In to the sink, hit my 14 year old 13" stone and broke it! Boo hoooo!!!

Kris

Awww.... man... I hate it when a stone breaks.... at least it had a good run! 14 years, Fantastic!

I have had a guest before that said she always kept her round stone in the oven while baking. I'm not sure if she stacked other pans on top of it while baking, or if it was just on the rack underneath. She said it really helped all her food turn out well. That was the first I'd ever heard of that.

I have quite a few guests say they keep thiers in the oven... and they don't even wash it between uses. Personally I can't do that.

ihavethetools said:
Are you all saying while baking? Or just storing?

Baking was what I asked them about. I regularly use metal pans on top of my stoneware to bake challah (bread) as well as cakes and things. HO says not to do that as it might cause the stone to break/shatter.

I've had some mention they preheat it too. I don't recommend that but I guess everyone does things their own way no matter what we tell them :)

What is stoneware and why is it popular for cooking?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic cookware that is made from clay fired at a high temperature. It is popular for cooking because it distributes heat evenly, retains heat well, and is durable and non-toxic.

Can I use metal pans on top of stoneware?

Yes, you can use metal pans on top of stoneware. However, it is not recommended as it may scratch or damage the stoneware surface. It is best to use silicone or wooden utensils on stoneware.

Do I need to season my stoneware before using it?

No, stoneware does not require seasoning like cast iron cookware. However, it is recommended to wash and dry your stoneware before first use to remove any residue from the manufacturing process.

Can stoneware be used on the stovetop?

No, stoneware is not designed to be used on the stovetop. It is meant for use in the oven, microwave, and under the broiler. Using stoneware on the stovetop can cause the stoneware to crack or break due to the direct heat.

How do I clean and care for my stoneware?

To clean stoneware, use warm water and a gentle dish soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the stoneware surface. You can also use a nylon scraper or a non-metal brush to remove any stuck-on food. Let the stoneware cool completely before washing. To prevent cracking, avoid sudden temperature changes, such as placing hot stoneware in cold water. Proper care and maintenance will ensure your stoneware lasts for years to come.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Denarella
  • aPamperedBride
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • KatieBeth