• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You Using Your Stoneware Correctly? Tips and Techniques for New Users

In summary,Some useful tips for using and caring for a stone include:-Baking crescent rolls or another high-fat item before using the stone will help to season it;-Do not use the stone in place of a regular cookie sheet under pies;- aluminum foil on the bottom of your oven will interfere with how the stone works;-use a baking soda and water paste every so often to clean the stone;-avoid using aerosol spray oil;-should your stone be washed with soap accidentally, bake a batch of crescent rolls on it and throw them out;-use the stone that is proportional to what you're cooking. Two thirds or more of the surface should
Mystik
I searched through the files and posts and found some nifty stoneware tips that I was thinking would be a handy cheat sheet for people new to stoneware. I am going to try and make up a flyer to hand to guests when they order a stone. Some of the tips I will give more detail for on the flyer than I have listed here.

Tips I have so far are:

• Start the seasoning process by baking crescent rolls or another high-fat item
  • Do not use the stone in place of a regular cookie sheet under pies, it may crack
  • aluminum foil on the bottom of your oven will interfere with how the stone works
  • use a baking soda and water paste every so often to clean the stone, it will also clear up any stickiness that may devlop
  • avoid using aerosol spray oil, it will cause stickiness on the stone
  • Should your stone be washed with soap accidentally bake a batch of crescent rolls on it and throw them out, they will absorb the soap
  • Use the stone that is proportional to what you're cooking.Two thirds or more of the surface should be covered to prevent cracking
  • Spread food out evenly on the stone, it should not be all clustered together
  • Stones will not harbor bacteria or absorb soap
  • Nver take a stone directly from the freezer to a hot oven, it needs to be thawed out a bit first
  • Stones do not need to be pre-heated

If anyone has any other tips that they think a new stone user would find handy feel free to post them. And I thank everyone who previously posted one of the tips listed above, some of these things I never knew until I went poking around earlier today.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a similar flyer about Stoneware use and care.

In the meantime, I recommend that a stoneware newbie purchase the Stoneware Inspirations cookbook because there are two or three pages about Stoneware right in there!

I'm getting that cookbook on the 21, can't wait to check it out.

Here is a flyer that someone has already made up.

Attachments

• Top 10 Reasons.doc
    53 KB · Views: 592
I have that file, thanks though, Jennifer. What I'm looking for is tips of what to do with/how to care for the stoneware once you've bought it.

From John, Pampered1224:

Deterioration of the stone itself. With the power of the jets in the dishwasher, you wash away part of the stone. The jets in a normal dishwasher are strong enough to errode the stone. This would void the warranty. Also, it will oversoak the stone. If you use it before letting it air dry for 24 hours, you risk "water logged stoneware cracking". The water stays in the stone after you wash it. With the dishwasher, you are forcing even more water into the stone than you would by simply running it under the tap. You have to make sure the stone is dry when you place it in the oven or the water in the stone can over heat the stone and crack it.

1. What is stoneware and how is it different from other types of cookware?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic cookware that is made from clay fired at a high temperature. It is known for its durability and ability to retain heat, making it great for baking and roasting. Unlike other cookware materials, stoneware is naturally non-stick and does not require seasoning or coating. It also does not contain any harmful chemicals like Teflon.

2. How do I properly care for my stoneware?

To ensure your stoneware lasts for years to come, it is important to follow a few simple care instructions. Always wash your stoneware by hand with hot water and avoid using harsh soaps or scouring pads. Allow it to cool before washing and avoid drastic temperature changes, such as placing hot stoneware directly into the fridge or freezer. It is also recommended to avoid using metal utensils on your stoneware, as they can cause scratches.

3. Can I use stoneware in the microwave?

Yes, our stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to note that stoneware can retain heat, so be careful when removing it from the microwave and use oven mitts or a towel to handle it. Also, avoid using stoneware with metallic accents or decorations in the microwave as they can cause sparking.

4. Do I need to season my stoneware before using it?

No, our stoneware does not require seasoning. It is naturally non-stick and will develop a patina over time with use, making it even more non-stick. If you notice your stoneware is sticking, it may need to be cleaned more thoroughly or re-seasoned by lightly rubbing it with a small amount of vegetable oil before use.

5. Can I use stoneware on the stovetop?

No, stoneware should not be used on the stovetop. It is designed for use in the oven or microwave only. Using stoneware on the stovetop can cause damage to both the stoneware and your stovetop. Always use caution when handling hot stoneware and never place it directly on a burner or other heat source.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • LBurke
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • button92