1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Stoneware Tips and Techniques

1. Mystik

Mystik Member

I searched through the files and posts and found some nifty stoneware tips that I was thinking would be a handy cheat sheet for people new to stoneware. I am going to try and make up a flyer to hand to guests when they order a stone. Some of the tips I will give more detail for on the flyer than I have listed here.

Tips I have so far are:

• Start the seasoning process by baking crescent rolls or another high-fat item
    • Do not use the stone in place of a regular cookie sheet under pies, it may crack
    • aluminum foil on the bottom of your oven will interfere with how the stone works
    • use a baking soda and water paste every so often to clean the stone, it will also clear up any stickiness that may devlop
    • avoid using aerosol spray oil, it will cause stickiness on the stone
    • Should your stone be washed with soap accidentally bake a batch of crescent rolls on it and throw them out, they will absorb the soap
    • Use the stone that is proportional to what you're cooking.Two thirds or more of the surface should be covered to prevent cracking
    • Spread food out evenly on the stone, it should not be all clustered together
    • Stones will not harbor bacteria or absorb soap
    • Nver take a stone directly from the freezer to a hot oven, it needs to be thawed out a bit first
    • Stones do not need to be pre-heated

If anyone has any other tips that they think a new stone user would find handy feel free to post them. And I thank everyone who previously posted one of the tips listed above, some of these things I never knew until I went poking around earlier today.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
    Feb 10, 2006
  2. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I have been thinking about a similar flyer about Stoneware use and care.

In the meantime, I recommend that a stoneware newbie purchase the Stoneware Inspirations cookbook because there are two or three pages about Stoneware right in there!

Feb 11, 2006
  3. Mystik

Mystik Member

I'm getting that cookbook on the 21, can't wait to check it out.

Feb 11, 2006
  4. jenniferlynne

jenniferlynne Senior Member

Here is a flyer that someone has already made up.

Attached Files:

Feb 13, 2006
  5. Mystik

Mystik Member

I have that file, thanks though, Jennifer. What I'm looking for is tips of what to do with/how to care for the stoneware once you've bought it.

Feb 13, 2006
  6. Mystik

Mystik Member

From John, Pampered1224:

Deterioration of the stone itself. With the power of the jets in the dishwasher, you wash away part of the stone. The jets in a normal dishwasher are strong enough to errode the stone. This would void the warranty. Also, it will oversoak the stone. If you use it before letting it air dry for 24 hours, you risk "water logged stoneware cracking". The water stays in the stone after you wash it. With the dishwasher, you are forcing even more water into the stone than you would by simply running it under the tap. You have to make sure the stone is dry when you place it in the oven or the water in the stone can over heat the stone and crack it.

Feb 23, 2006
Have something to add?