• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pampered Chef Stoneware Maximum Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum temperature at which stoneware can be cooked, with conflicting information found on the Pampered Chef website. It is mentioned that the customer used a pizza stone at 500 degrees and it cracked, possibly due to a hairline fracture or uneven heat distribution. The conversation also touches on the warranty for the product and the recommended temperature for stoneware, which is around 425-450 degrees. One person in the conversation has experience with pottery and suggests that stoneware should be cooled slowly to prevent cracking. The conversation also includes a brief tangent about the number of posts one person has in a forum.
AmynPC
Gold Member
What is the max a stoneware can be cooked at? I can't find that information anywhere on the Pampered Chef web-site. I had a customer e-mail me saying she was using her Pizza Stone to cook some pizza's at 500 degrees and was on the 4th or 5th pizza and it cracked in half on her. She has had this stone for at least a few years so its had many uses. She said there was no temp change so shock was not the problem.

Amy I was looking it up in the product information guide, and it does not mention a specific temperature.

For some reason, I was thinking that it could only go up to 475, but I don't see it written anywhere for sure. I think it's like the executive cookware temp. Isn't 500 about the temp of a broiler?

Amanda you're right about 500 being the temp of a broiler. That makes sense to me. Maybe the 475 is the max, because of 500 being at broiler range.

But the stones have been fired at temperatures way higher than that when they were made. And the issue with the broiler is that you're very close to a direct heat source when doing that. I would think that her stone probably already had a hairline fracture in it and the extra hot temperature pushed it over the edge. Is it within warranty? If Use and Care doesn't state a max temperature, HO should replace it within the first 3 years if it cracked.

Just because it's been fired to a high temp doesn't mean that it's safe to that temp after the initial firing. Fine porcelain is also fired above 1000˚F, but aren't heat safe to anywhere near there (I'd never subject porcelain to anything hotter than boiling water, which is 212˚F). The chemical and structural changes that occur in firing change how the clay withstands heat later.I've always heard 425-450˚F as an upper limit for stoneware, but I don't think I have it documented anywhere. Since it sounds like the customer may have had the stone for a while (and I find that most customers greatly underestimate the time they've owned things, so it's probably out of guarantee), I'd have her call customer service herself and ask.

chefann said:
Just because it's been fired to a high temp doesn't mean that it's safe to that temp after the initial firing. Fine porcelain is also fired above 1000˚F, but aren't heat safe to anywhere near there (I'd never subject porcelain to anything hotter than boiling water, which is 212˚F). The chemical and structural changes that occur in firing change how the clay withstands heat later.

I've always heard 425-450˚F as an upper limit for stoneware, but I don't think I have it documented anywhere.

Since it sounds like the customer may have had the stone for a while (and I find that most customers greatly underestimate the time they've owned things, so it's probably out of guarantee), I'd have her call customer service herself and ask.

Holy cow Ann! I just realized you had over 20,000 posts!

Her stoneware is over the 3 year warrenty. I called corp. yesturday and the customer service rep, really didn't know. She was suppose to be finding out for me, but I might have to call back today. The hairline fracture theory is a possiblility and I will tell her about that.

Also, if you have a very hot temp..500.. and you have pizza on part.. it will be unevenly heated.. which is a shock to the clay. Clay expands and contracts according to the temp. I feel that that could be the problem. The edge is hotter than the area where the pizza is. I used to make pottery in college. We had to cool the pottery very slowly (24 hrs or so) to keep the pieces from exploding. I never use temps over 425..
Also, it sounded like she was cooking many pizzas.. or did I read it wrong.. if she was adding a cold pizza to an already hot stone.. could have done the trick too.. You should always cool the stone before putting anything cool on it ( and cool compared to it's hot state) Bummer!!

wadesgirl said:
Holy cow Ann! I just realized you had over 20,000 posts!

And here I am getting all excited that I'm getting closer to 1000! LOL!

Also, am I the only one here who is wondering why she's cooking pizzas at 500F?? I understand wanting a crispy crust, and a quick cooking time to avoid drying out a thin pizza, but 500F seems REALLY hot!

AnnieBee said:
And here I am getting all excited that I'm getting closer to 1000! LOL!

Also, am I the only one here who is wondering why she's cooking pizzas at 500F?? I understand wanting a crispy crust, and a quick cooking time to avoid drying out a thin pizza, but 500F seems REALLY hot!

LOL You're right!! :D

I could have sworn I had seen it written somewhere- like 450-475. But since it is NOT written now, I'd be tempted to call HO. Worst that can happen is they will say it's not covered,etc. But it would be worth knowing for next time.

Oh well we know that broiler temps are not attainable with the stone ware, so that a temperature of 500 degrees is too high.

She was cooking fresh pizza at 500 for 7 minutes, according to a receipe she was using. She had already cooked 3 pizzas and the 4th one ended up breaking it. I called corp and they said that there is no max temp, but did say that it sounds like she didn't let the stone cool down to room temp before putting on the next fresh pizza. To me it sounds like there was a temp shock and she was not aware that she was doing it and not giving the stone a break to cool.

What is the maximum temperature that Pampered Chef Stoneware can withstand?

The maximum temperature that Pampered Chef Stoneware can withstand is 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can I use Pampered Chef Stoneware on the stovetop or grill?

No, Pampered Chef Stoneware is not recommended for use on the stovetop or grill. It is designed for use in the oven or microwave.

How do I clean my Pampered Chef Stoneware?

To clean your Pampered Chef Stoneware, simply wash it with hot water and a mild detergent. Do not use soap or scouring pads, as they can damage the stoneware.

Can Pampered Chef Stoneware go from the freezer to the oven?

Yes, Pampered Chef Stoneware can go directly from the freezer to a preheated oven. However, it is important to place the stoneware in a cold oven and let it preheat along with the oven.

Is Pampered Chef Stoneware dishwasher safe?

Yes, Pampered Chef Stoneware is dishwasher safe. However, it is recommended to hand wash for best results and to prolong the life of the stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • quiverfull7
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
whyunfor11ow
  • MrsCaleb