• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Stoneware Go From Freezer to Oven Without Cracking?

It pulls heat from the air and transfers it into the food. Our pans work quite well for this because aluminum is such a great heat conductor.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of freezing meals in stoneware and putting them directly into the oven. While some people have done it successfully, it is generally not recommended as it can cause thermal shock and potentially break the stoneware. It is important to fully thaw the stoneware before putting it in the oven to avoid this issue. Additionally, the conversation touches on using cookware to speed up the thawing process and the science behind heat transfer in cooking.
pcchris
Silver Member
Okay, so I've never done this...but someone told me that you can freeze meals in the stoneware, and just put the whole thing into the oven. :eek: I don't know...never done it, and not willing to sacrifice my stoneware. If you take a frozen piece of stoneware (with food in it) and put it into the oven, won't it suffer thermal shock? Do you have to thaw it first, or what? Please let me know if any of you do this, and if so, how to do this correctly!!! Thank you!

I certainly wouldn't do it, nor would I recomend it to anyone. You are right, it can get thermal shock and break. Someone has just gotten lucky if they have done that and not lost a stone.

Yes! You CAN freeze meals in stoneware....you just have to MAKE SURE it is completely thawed before putting it into the oven!

Yes, you can put the stoneware in the freezer!:)

rebeccastt said:
Yes! You CAN freeze meals in stoneware....you just have to MAKE SURE it is completely thawed before putting it into the oven!
Yes, this is right! If you were to put it directly from freezer to oven, it would have thermal shock. (and a mess!)

I do a lot of freezer meals and I freeze my casseroles in freezer paper lined baking dishes and then pop the food out once it is hard so I can keep my baking dishes in my cupboard and cut down on freezer space. My question is, do I have to let the casserole fully defrost before baking or can I put it into a room temp peice of stoneware prior to baking?

Go ahead and take out the freezer meal, put it back in the stoneware and let it defrost that way. When it is thawed completely, then put it in the oven and bake/cook as usual. As long as it is thawed you shouldn't have any problems.

My question is...can you take stoneware from the fridge and put it right into the oven? I suppose I could email HO but they seem to say as long as you thaw it completely in the fridge, you can stick it in the oven.

Come to think of it, I make refried beans in my small oval baker all the time and reheat the leftovers from the fridge to the toaster oven...HMMMMM...

You want the food to be at room temp. before putting the food into the oven with a stone. What I sometimes do to speed it up, is put the refrigerated (not frozen) food in the stone and put the stone with food in it in the cold oven and preheat the oven, food, stone all together. There is no drastic temp. difference and it all warms up together. I have never seen anything written saying this is o.k. or not but it is a gradual increase in temp. not a dramatic increase.
TIP for the day: To thaw food out quickly use our COOKWARE! If you are not a fan of taking all day in the fridge or microwave our cookware speeds up the thawing process. Just like it evenly cooks the food it also thaws it as well. Try it..... Take a pound of hamburger and lay it on the counter verses putting in our Family skillet. It will thaw faster.

C. Schapker said:
TIP for the day: To thaw food out quickly use our COOKWARE! If you are not a fan of taking all day in the fridge or microwave our cookware speeds up the thawing process. Just like it evenly cooks the food it also thaws it as well. Try it..... Take a pound of hamburger and lay it on the counter verses putting in our Family skillet. It will thaw faster.
Ann the Nerd is on the scene!

That works because of heat transfer. The metal of a pan conducts heat from one place to another, usually from the hot burner to your raw food. It works on the same principle to defrost food. It pulls heat from the air and transfers it into the food. To speed it up even more, set the pan on a cooling rack that's set over a bowl of really hot water. Our pans work quite well for this because aluminum is such a great heat conductor.

To illustrate this easily at a show, pass around the small saute pan with an ice cube in it. People will see how fast the iec cube melts. They will also feel how well the pan conducts, because the whole thing will be cold, not just the spot under the ice cube.

chefann said:
Ann the Nerd is on the scene!

That works because of heat transfer. The metal of a pan conducts heat from one place to another, usually from the hot burner to your raw food. It works on the same principle to defrost food. It pulls heat from the air and transfers it into the food. To speed it up even more, set the pan on a cooling rack that's set over a bowl of really hot water. Our pans work quite well for this because aluminum is such a great heat conductor.

To illustrate this easily at a show, pass around the small saute pan with an ice cube in it. People will see how fast the iec cube melts. They will also feel how well the pan conducts, because the whole thing will be cold, not just the spot under the ice cube.

I do the ice cube demo at all my shows....and tell them there is a scientific reason why it does that, but because I can't explain it, I just call it Pampered Chef Magic! Now, thanks to you Ann - I know the reason behind the "magic"!:D

1. What is stoneware and why is it beneficial for cooking?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic material that is specifically designed for cooking and baking. It is made from natural clay that is fired at a high temperature, making it durable and able to withstand extreme heat. The stoneware's porous nature allows for even heat distribution, resulting in perfectly cooked food every time.

2. How do I season my stoneware before using it?

Stoneware needs to be seasoned before the first use to prevent food from sticking to it. To season, rub a thin layer of vegetable oil all over the stoneware and place it in a preheated oven at 350°F for 20 minutes. Let it cool completely before using it for cooking.

3. Can stoneware be used in the microwave?

Yes, stoneware can be used in the microwave. However, it is important to note that stoneware retains heat very well, so it may take longer for your food to heat up in the microwave. Also, avoid using stoneware with any metal trim or decoration in the microwave as it can cause sparks.

4. How do I clean my stoneware?

Cleaning stoneware is simple and easy. After use, let it cool down before washing it with warm water and a mild detergent. Avoid using harsh scrubbers or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the stoneware's surface. Also, do not soak stoneware in water as it can cause it to crack.

5. Can stoneware be used on the stovetop?

No, stoneware is not suitable for stovetop use. It is designed to be used in the oven, microwave, or on the grill. Using it on the stovetop can cause it to crack or break due to the direct heat source.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
AnnieBee
  • msunn1973
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BeckyC5830
  • mirandalea