• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Stoneware: Sudden Seasoning Flaking - Causes and Solutions

In summary, it is possible for the seasoning on stoneware to flake off due to improper seasoning, exposure to high heat, abrasive cleaning, or natural wear over time. To prevent this, follow manufacturer instructions and use gentle cleaning methods.
ChefSandyK
Has anyone had the seasoning on their stoneware flake off before? I've had my bar pan for YEARS...it's a deep mahogony color. All of a sudden, spots are flaking of right down to the original coloring. This is BAD. First, I'm losing my precious non-stick. More importantly, my hands and any food I'm putting on it are getting these horrible little flecks (not good when demo-ing the pizza twist, let me tell you!)

Any ideas why? I'm not doing anything differently. NO soap, do dishwasher...just handwashing with scaper or brush.

Help!

Sandy

Yes, it is possible for the seasoning on stoneware to flake off. Stoneware is a porous material and over time, the seasoning can wear off due to repeated washings and usage. It is also possible for the seasoning to become damaged or worn if it is exposed to high heat or sudden temperature changes. Additionally, using harsh scrubbing pads or metal scouring tools can also damage the seasoning. To prevent further damage, it is important to follow manufacturer instructions for use and care of your stoneware.

I have not personally experienced the seasoning flaking off of my stoneware, but I have heard of it happening to others. There are a few potential reasons for this:1. Improper seasoning: Stoneware needs to be seasoned properly in order to create a non-stick surface. If the stoneware was not seasoned correctly or if the seasoning has worn off over time, this could lead to flaking.2. High heat: Stoneware is not meant to be used at high temperatures (above 450 degrees Fahrenheit). If the stoneware is exposed to high heat, the seasoning can become damaged and start to flake off.3. Abrasive cleaning: Using harsh scrubbers or cleaners on stoneware can also cause the seasoning to flake off. It's important to use gentle cleaning methods, such as a scraper or brush, to avoid damaging the seasoning.4. Age: Over time, stoneware can start to wear down and the seasoning may start to flake off. This is normal and can be remedied by re-seasoning the stoneware.To prevent the seasoning from flaking off in the future, make sure to properly season your stoneware, avoid using high heat, and use gentle cleaning methods. If the flaking continues, it may be time to re-season your stoneware or invest in a new piece.

What is the best way to clean my stoneware?

To clean your stoneware, it is recommended to use hot water and a gentle scrub brush. Avoid using soap or harsh chemicals as they can be absorbed by the stoneware and affect the taste of your food.

Why does my stoneware have discoloration?

Discoloration on stoneware is a natural occurrence and does not affect the performance of the product. It is caused by oils and food residue that have been absorbed into the stoneware over time. To reduce discoloration, make sure to properly clean and dry your stoneware after each use.

Can I use my stoneware on the stovetop or under the broiler?

No, stoneware is not safe to use on the stovetop or under the broiler. It is designed for use in the oven only. Using it on the stovetop or under the broiler can cause the stoneware to crack or break.

What should I do if my stoneware cracks?

If your stoneware cracks, it is no longer safe to use and should be replaced. Cracks can affect the performance of the stoneware and can also be a safety hazard. Contact our customer service for assistance on replacing your stoneware.

Can I put my stoneware in the dishwasher?

Yes, stoneware is dishwasher safe. However, it is recommended to hand wash your stoneware with hot water and a gentle scrub brush to avoid any soap residue or damage from other dishes in the dishwasher. Also, make sure to properly dry your stoneware before storing it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BeaLorene
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
BeaLorene
  • chefamanda
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
stephaniekocala
  • jillbean