• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware Loaf Pan: Is It Worth the Hype?

In summary, the Stoneware Loaf Pan is a great option for quick breads, yeast bread, and other things. It is easy to season with a little shortening and salt, and can hold up to four cups of mix.
stefani2
Does anyone have/use the Stoneware Loaf Pan?...Do you recommend it, or is there a trick to using them? I just over-cooked my Banana Bread AGAIN in my regular loaf pans....rrrr...

TIA - Jenna

I have the loaf pan, and I really like it. I've used mine for quick breads (banana, zucchini, etc.), yeast bread, and other things (fruitcake) and they always come out well.

more ?sWhat Seasons it the best? How many times do you suggest to help season your Specialty Stones?

I love my mini loaf pan for banana bread. I also use it for mini meatloafs--seasons it nicely!

Lacy when you make banana bread do you fill all 4 wells with banana mix? I have a banana bread recipe I have used for years and wasn't sure if I should try to fill all 4 or if you can fill just 3.

stefani2 said:
What Seasons it the best? How many times do you suggest to help season your Specialty Stones?
I brush it with a little shortening before I use it, because I use it so seldom. If, however, you make meatloaf in a loaf pan, that is a sure way to season it well in one use. :)

There's also a great seasoning "recipe" that Scott posted, using shortening and salt that should work in the specialty stones.

climbercanoe3 said:
Lacy when you make banana bread do you fill all 4 wells with banana mix? I have a banana bread recipe I have used for years and wasn't sure if I should try to fill all 4 or if you can fill just 3.
I fill all 4. I use my Betty Crocker recipe & it fills all 4 perfectly:thumbup:

thank you!Thanks SO much, Ann...you are always such a great help! :)

MiniUsing the Mini....Do you HAVE TO fill all 4 wells? Do you fill the un-used ones with water (similar to the DMMP?)

read the PIG on the Mini Loaf pan and it will tell you

ok thanks.
I just looked up the Betty Crocker recipe and it says it uses a 9x5x3 pan, just like my recipe calls for. So I will try all 4 and see how it works.
thanks!!
Yummy, my bananas are very ripe at the moment.

Don't fill the empty wells with water. I saw something from HO (I think) that said we shouldn't do that for safety. Probably because it can slosh out and burn someone.

You can put a potato in the empty well!

BTW- I was going to mention that I LOVE our loaf pan...but if you buy one, you really need to buy TWO! Most of my bread recipes make 2 loaves...and I got tired of baking one in a stone and baking my second one in a normal pan. The one in the stone was always the best one!

If someone wants to buy one, I tell them if they get two...I will give them 10% off!

tons of infohmmmm....GOOD ideas ladies! Thank you!

I love my loaf pan! I do meatloaf and breads in it all the time, and never have had a bad loaf!! I would have to agree with Kelly on this one... if you are going to buy one, you need another. I hate baking and getting one good loaf ( from my stone loaf pan) and one crappy loaf (from my silicone loaf pan). I so should get another one while thay are 20% off!

chefann said:
I brush it with a little shortening before I use it, because I use it so seldom. If, however, you make meatloaf in a loaf pan, that is a sure way to season it well in one use. :)

I just made the Orange Poppy Seed Tea Bread from the Delightful Desserts cookbook and it says to spray the bottom with nonstick cooking spray. But I usually just use a little olive oil to coat the bottom and my tea bread comes right out!

I also make meatloaf (but I usually use ground turkey...less fat) and never have a problem getting the slices out..

That's interesting that some of you recommend getting two loaf pans...I guess most of my recipes for banana bread, zucchini bread, etc are portioned correctly for making ONE loaf. Never had enough to make two!

I have 2 loaf pans that I got as host gifts back in the day when we had points and you had to take what ever the host gifts were based on your sales before I became a consultant.

I love having both and use them every week. I use them to make salmon loaf, meatloaf, quickbreads etc. Sometimes I use them together and what a great help it is to put both in the oven at the same time to get the same results!

elizabethfox said:
I so should get another one while thay are 20% off!

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that for myself!

I just ordered the mini-loaf pan. I had a host that did not use her half price items and I asked her if I could add it to her show. So I got it for hardly nothing using the 20% price as the half price item! It comes to her today and I am picking it up from her tomorrow.:D

I want to bake the beer bread in small loaves b/c just me and my husband cannot eat it all at once, so, I want to freeze some for later instead of wasting it. For those that do that, how do you reheat it for the best taste?

I also love the idea of meatloaves with different ingredients in them. I am hoping this will be a way to be able to make meatloaf. My husband hates meatloaf but I thought about just making his like I would hamburger steak ingredients. What about the fat that comes out of meat loaves...is it less when they are mini? Guess I need to get some really lean beef for it.

recipesWhen I have search the files for Loaf and Mini Loaf recipes - there aren't very many. Could anyone share any of their favs? :)

Here is a recipe that I used to get BEGGED to bring into work (when I was working outside of PC)

Chocolate Banana Bread
Submitted by: Tracie P.
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 468 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Yields: 24 servings

"This banana bread features cocoa, chocolate chips, sour cream and a bit of vanilla extract."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup margarine, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
6 bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
powder
1 cup lite sour cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate
chips

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking soda and cocoa; mix well. Blend in sour cream and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a loaf comes out clean.

This recipe appears in the Allrecipes "Tried & True Favorites" cookbook. Buy it online at http://www.shopallrecipes.com/
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2007 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/16/2008

Here is the seasoning recipe for stones:

SEASONING stoneware - similar to seasoning cast iron...from Scott Backus

1/2 cup crisco and 1/4 cup salt - (trust me, it works!) spread over
surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware.

Bake in a 200 degree oven 30 minutes, remove to cool. Scrub with Kitchen
Brush and hot water, not trying to remove all the oils, but just get the
salt off. Shake dry, leave out.

You're done - it's now nonstick! It works wonders for new stones.

Edit: Kelly--allow me to step in--I am the one who originally submitted the new stoneware seasoning trick...I encourage all Cheffers to use it at your show when presenting stoneware from this point forward... - it came from my grandma's way of seasoning cast iron. The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

My original recipe said, do it twice in succession - why? For the same reason the Army makes its recruits polish their shoes twice in a row - in catches any spots you miss, and gives a better polished product:

Smear the goop around, pop it in the oven at 250, and let it go for 30 minutes or so. Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around , making some attempt to contact all of the surface...the salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little. Then pop it back in the oven, leave it for another 30 minutes, and then turn the oven off and leave it in overnight - this allows the oils to seep more into the stone[...bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it, let it cool, and rinse it out.] Then, rinse/scrape under hot water and voilla! Nonstick stoneware!

- and what is important in the proportions, is twice the crisco/lard/grease, to salt. Certainly putting 1/2 cup of crisco in a small round stone is going to cause a drippy problem in your oven - so use 2 tablespoons crisco to 1 tablespoon salt, and you're good to go. (the quantity I suggested was specifically for a stoneware fluted pan)

God Bless You! Take care. Praying for Paige and her family!

FYI bacon works OK, but only where the bacon or grease touches the stone.

I also emaild the test kitchen about this and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef regarding your product
question. We have not tested this method and therefore cannot comment if
this tip is successful. We would not think it would cause any harm to
the Stone, but please be cautious about using too much Crisco on a
smaller Stoneware piece. Our concern is that it would liquify and drip
in the oven, causing some smoking.

Thanks Kelly for the recipe. Sounds really good. I am going to save that to try when I get more bananas.

My D tried doing this but forgot the salt and just added shortening and it was not a good turn out. So don't forget the salt.....

Mmm, Kelly that recipe sounds delicious!
I am going to try to halve it - only have 3 bananas and one stoneware loaf pan.

It is really yummy....I have used anywhere from 3 large bananas...to 7 small bananas (just made whatever I had on hand into a full recipe) and it always turns out super!

It turned out great! Son was pleased to snack on it after school.
I had to use real butter and sour cream...too lazy to go shopping.

For one loaf, I used
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup sour cream
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

Thanks again!

What is a Stoneware Loaf Pan?

A Stoneware Loaf Pan is a baking dish made from natural clay that is fired at a high temperature. It is designed to evenly distribute heat and create a crispy crust on breads, cakes, and other baked goods.

Is a Stoneware Loaf Pan worth the hype?

Yes, a Stoneware Loaf Pan is worth the hype. It is a versatile and durable kitchen tool that has been used for centuries. It can withstand high temperatures and can be used in both conventional and microwave ovens.

How do I properly care for a Stoneware Loaf Pan?

To properly care for a Stoneware Loaf Pan, it is important to season it before its first use. This can be done by rubbing the surface with a small amount of vegetable oil and baking it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. After each use, wash the pan with warm water and a mild dish soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or metal utensils on the surface to prevent scratching. Allow the pan to cool before washing or placing it in the dishwasher.

Can I bake frozen dough in a Stoneware Loaf Pan?

Yes, you can bake frozen dough in a Stoneware Loaf Pan. It is recommended to let the dough thaw before placing it in the pan to ensure even baking. You may also need to adjust the baking time to account for the frozen dough.

What types of recipes can I make in a Stoneware Loaf Pan?

You can make a variety of recipes in a Stoneware Loaf Pan, including breads, cakes, meatloaf, casseroles, and more. It is a versatile kitchen tool that can handle both sweet and savory dishes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Michelle817
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Julie Richt
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • HeatherP19