• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Stoneware Safe to Use in Outdoor Ovens?

In summary, the customer is considering getting a round stone for her new wood fire oven, but is worried it might not hold up and might void her warranty. My first thought was the same as the customer- NO! - but I explained to her that I was not sure if it would not break and would still be under warranty. The customer's friend has had the same oven for a long time and has used many different stones, and the only one that held up was the PC stone. Maybe I don't know enough about them, but I'm sure the stone is "oven safe." I also found out that the customer's oven is available online, and is a little thicker than ours at 3/4" and is 13"
lisasfuncooking
I have a customer that wants to order the round stone for her new outdoor wood fire oven. My first thought was.... NO! :eek: I explained to her that I was not sure if it would not break and would still be under warranty. She said she has a friend that has had the same oven for a long time. She has used many different stones and the only one that held up was PC stone. Maybe I don't know enough about them. I know that stone is "oven safe". I did go on a web site and find the outdoor ovens. They do sell stoneware too. It is 3/4" thick. I don't think ours in that thick. Theirs is also 13" round and $50.00.
Even though I really want to sell her stoneware, I don't want to do it knowing it could break and her warranty be void. I am going to her house tomorrow. (for her sons party) I want to see how far down the "heat" is from the rack where the stone would cook. I wonder if it is far enough that it is not direct heat, would it be o.k? Also, how does she control the temperature that it is not to hot?
Maybe I am just too anal. :cry:
Any input would be helpful!

Could you find out the manufacturer of her wood fire oven? I'd e-mail the test kitchens/HO about it.

babywings76 said:
Could you find out the manufacturer of her wood fire oven? I'd e-mail the test kitchens/HO about it.

You know what they will say.
You can ask I guess....and then honestly, you can tell her what you know, and if she still wants to get it based on the experience of her friend, then so be it. It may be worth it to her. As long as she understands the situation regarding the warranty, then you've done YOUR job.

if she's making that sort of investment in a wood oven....it may be worth it.
And who knows, it could be a very good oven with the source of heat below some fire bricks or something...so it would be indirect heat.

Yeah, see I'm just thinking that by knowing the manufacturer and reading up on the oven, it might be something that would be okay. At first, I'd think it wouldn't be recommended. But maybe they'd say it's fine because it's indirect heat and it's an "oven". Maybe there's a way to test the temperature to be sure it doesn't go too hot, to keep it no hotter than 450 degrees. But maybe HO will have a definitive opinion on the matter and say "no". Then the customer could just know that and continue at their own risk.

Probably a grey area....even if it is like you say- an 'oven' ...I'm sure there is some way for it to be controlled- at least minimal (vents, etc). Who knows!
I love the sound of the oven though. ;)Be curious what you end up finding out- both about the Oven and if you ask HO.

I had a customer ask the same thing about a "Green Egg" outdoor grill/oven. Anybody know anything about those?

I don't know, but I bought an inexpensive stone from another company before I joined PC, and it was advertised as a being for the grill. I used it both indoors and out and didn't have it break. It was about the same thickness as ours.

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your concerns about using stoneware in an outdoor oven. I completely understand your hesitation and want to make sure that your customer is using our products safely and effectively.First of all, our stoneware is designed and tested for use in conventional ovens up to 500°F (260°C). While it may be possible to use it in an outdoor oven, we cannot guarantee its performance or safety in that type of environment. Additionally, using stoneware in an outdoor oven may void the warranty.However, I do understand that your customer's friend has had success using our stoneware in her outdoor oven. If you do decide to sell our stoneware to your customer, I would recommend that she takes extra precautions to ensure its safety. This could include placing the stoneware on a heat-resistant surface, such as a metal baking sheet, to protect it from direct contact with the heat source. She could also try preheating the stoneware in the oven before placing it in the outdoor oven, to help prevent any sudden temperature changes that could cause it to crack.Ultimately, the decision to use stoneware in an outdoor oven is up to your customer and we cannot guarantee its safety in that type of environment. I would recommend that she follows the manufacturer's instructions for her specific outdoor oven and takes extra precautions to ensure the safety of our stoneware.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for being a caring and conscientious consultant!

1. What is stoneware for outdoor ovens?

Stoneware for outdoor ovens is a type of cookware that is specifically designed to be used in outdoor ovens, such as gas or charcoal grills. It is made from natural clay that is fired at high temperatures, resulting in a durable and heat-resistant material.

2. Can stoneware for outdoor ovens be used on a regular grill?

Yes, stoneware for outdoor ovens can be used on a regular grill. However, it is important to note that stoneware can crack if exposed to sudden temperature changes, so it is recommended to preheat the stoneware before placing it on the grill.

3. How do I clean stoneware for outdoor ovens?

Cleaning stoneware for outdoor ovens is simple and easy. You can use hot water and a mild detergent to clean the stoneware. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the stoneware. It is also recommended to avoid soaking the stoneware in water for extended periods of time.

4. Is stoneware for outdoor ovens safe to use?

Yes, stoneware for outdoor ovens is safe to use. It is made from natural materials and does not contain any harmful chemicals. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not subject the stoneware to extreme temperatures or sudden temperature changes.

5. What are the benefits of using stoneware for outdoor ovens?

Stoneware for outdoor ovens has many benefits. It is durable, heat-resistant, and can withstand high temperatures. It also distributes heat evenly, resulting in perfectly cooked food. Additionally, stoneware is non-toxic and does not release any harmful chemicals when heated, making it a healthy choice for cooking. It is also easy to clean and can be used for a variety of dishes, from meats and vegetables to desserts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AmaraJ
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
AmaraJ
  • tinat51796
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • missymssy