• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is my stoneware breaking? Need help troubleshooting!

In summary, Tiffany's large round stoneware broke for the second time in a row, this time while she was cooking enchiladas. The first time it broke she was baking a frozen pizza, but it was NOT frozen. She's always thawed anything that she put on her stoneware because she's afraid it would (you guessed it) break, and now this time the heat was at a medium temp of 350-375 and it was positioned in the middle of the oven. Does anyone know what she might be doing wrong? The stone is still under warranty but she doesn't want to have to keep sending away for
msunn1973
I just had my large round stoneware break for the second time in a row! :cry: The first time it broke I was baking a frozen pizza, but it was NOT frozen. I've always thawed anything that I put on my stoneware because I'm afraid it would (you guessed it) break! Now this time I was baking enchiladas and it broke again. The heat was at a medium temp of 350-375 and it was positioned in the middle of the oven. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? It is still under warranty but I don't want to have to keep sending away for a new stone and who knows if HO will continue to keep replenishing it. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Tiffany

How many enchiladas were on the stone. Ideally you want to spread them out to distribute evenly (i am sure i am preaching to the choir). so sorry this happened, maybe just bad luck

I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous. We never had to do that with the old stones--you shouldn't have to create an art project to cook on your stone. I have sent back at least 10, and I just cringe every time I sell one. They always crack right down the middle, and it doesn't make ONE BIT of difference what's cooked on them--they all have been used different ways. This is lame--HO needs to step up and deal with this.

Nanisu said:
I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous. We never had to do that with the old stones--you shouldn't have to create an art project to cook on your stone. I have sent back at least 10, and I just cringe every time I sell one. They always crack right down the middle, and it doesn't make ONE BIT of difference what's cooked on them--they all have been used different ways. This is lame--HO needs to step up and deal with this.

Have you shared with them how you feel?

I've had mine since it came out with no problems.

My theory is that maybe there was a bad batch. Because as much as alot of people have had breakages, there are still MANY who have not (case in point, mine!).

If there was such a bad flaw in the design/manufacture, it seems to me that so much would be returned that it would be obvious to HO that there is a problem...

But this is just my guess, I could quite possibly be completely wrong.

Actually, I'd love to see a survey here of how many people have had broken large stones with handles! Not sure how to handle figuring out the numbers, if you sold 10 and had 3 break, for instance...

Maybe we could have a survey of just personal stones owned and used my the consultant! Anyone want to set one up? :)

AnnieBee said:
My theory is that maybe there was a bad batch. Because as much as alot of people have had breakages, there are still MANY who have not (case in point, mine!).

If there was such a bad flaw in the design/manufacture, it seems to me that so much would be returned that it would be obvious to HO that there is a problem...

But this is just my guess, I could quite possibly be completely wrong.

Actually, I'd love to see a survey here of how many people have had broken large stones with handles! Not sure how to handle figuring out the numbers, if you sold 10 and had 3 break, for instance...

Maybe we could have a survey of just personal stones owned and used my the consultant! Anyone want to set one up? :)
I agree with you, there are several things that they have had us not sell due to quality issues, why would this be any different?

wadesgirl said:
Have you shared with them how you feel?

I've had mine since it came out with no problems.

Me too! I've taken it to shows, and used it at home, and no problems. I find it so strange that some people are having such major issues with them, and others aren't.

I haven't had any customer returns either.

I wonder what's making the difference?

My first one broke at the first show I used it at (I know--poor grammar). My second one is fine.

I love the design. I didn't like the old racks.. kinda gave me a fingernails on the chalkboard feeling.

I have only had to send one back. The customer said it just broke right in his hand while he was cleaning it. When I asked him further, he said, "I was holding it with the oven mitt and scraping it under the water just like you told me and it broke right down the middle. It sounded like a shotgun." I'm thinking...hmmmmmm..oven mitt? Just as I thought, he was trying to clean it while it was still hot. Other than that, I've had no problems *Cross fingers*

I've sold 11 large stones with handles, and so far have only had one split in a "S" shape pattern down the middle. She stored her stone in the oven, and I am thinking that it was close to the pilot light. Just a theory.

I have also returned another one that was bought from another consultant in late January....also split down the middle.

Nanisu said:

I can not believe you sent back 10! It's hard dealing with two let alone 10. When I call HO to exchange it for a new one I am going to see if they have any suggestions on what could have caused it to break. Possibly it was a bad "batch", although the first one that broke on me I had for about six months and this second one only about three weeks. That's a long time apart to be from the same "batch".

And it's interesting that just a few weeks ago (before my first stone broke) I had a guest say she didn't want to buy a stone because she heard they brake easily. Of course I told her I never had any trouble with mine and all that good stuff...me and my big mouth!

I have had to replace 3 for one friend of mine. Finally this last time, I told her that if it breaks again, I'll give her the money and keep the stone for myself. We went through all that you should and should not do, and yet, it still breaks. Obviously it was not meant to be. She almost didn't tell me because she was so embarrassed.

I replaced one twice for one person and had to get 4 others replaced for other customers. However, mine is perfect???

I had to replace my moms twice and on the third time she didn't want another one. But when the old ones was being discontinued I bought her one and it is working just fine. I told her that I felt it had to have been a bad batch. She said she reads all the directions and did nothing wrong and it would just "pop" in her oven while cooking. I try not to have to show the new ones now.

We have the Large Round Stone and the LRS with handles. The LRS broke once and my DD returned it within 30 days of purchasing it in 2005. I have had the LRS with handles since they came out with no problem. We store all the stones we have and the Metal Sheet Pans in our oven... That is the only place with room to do it. We also own 2 DCBs as well and both have been fine. I think sometimes it is that someone runs cold water over it while still hot, etc. It's not "intentional" misuse... It just happens!

That stone is a dud.

It is embarrassing me to even sell it anymore because I have had to help too many guests get theirs replaced. I refuse to show it anymore. This is not up to Pampered Chef's old standards. Hopefully we don't have new standards?

Call HO and let them know this is an issue.

I have 2 and use them regularly.. I have sold many... and no returns so far on any!!!!! Must be bad batches......

Oh I am so glad I found this. I have sent back 16 to date. I no longer recommend the large round stone with handles.. only the medium.
The breakage happened to me as well as one of my consultants while in use, the same as many have described it happening to them. Ugh.. so frustrating.
I know one of my "sister" consultants, who is in a different state also has the same issue, and one of my new PC friends whom I met in Miami has the same issues with them as well.
I did tell someone from the H O when I called to get the ref# for something like, number 12. I don't know if it did any good though.

Me too. Mine is fine and I have had since they came out and I use it alot. But I have also sold quite a few and have already replaced at least 8. Go figure.

I've only sold two and the second one cracked in half within the first 30 days. The customer a good friend of mine has had PC stoneware for years, but she never knew she shouldn't preheat the stone before putting frozen food on it. She had been doing it for years, but as soon as she got the LRS w/handles it cracked in half.... It was bad on my part to assume that she knew not to preheat the stone.

1. What is "Stoneware Devastation!"?

"Stoneware Devastation!" is a term used to describe when a Pampered Chef stoneware product breaks or cracks during use or cleaning.

2. Is it normal for Pampered Chef stoneware to break or crack?

No, it is not normal for our stoneware products to break or crack. Our stoneware is designed to be durable and withstand high temperatures.

3. What causes "Stoneware Devastation!"?

Stoneware can break or crack due to improper use or care, such as sudden temperature changes, using metal utensils on the surface, or dropping the stoneware on a hard surface.

4. Can I still use my stoneware if it has minor cracks or chips?

We do not recommend using stoneware with any cracks or chips, as it can potentially shatter during use and cause injury. It is best to replace the stoneware if it has any damage.

5. What should I do if my stoneware breaks or cracks during use?

If your stoneware breaks or cracks during use, please contact our customer service team for assistance. We may be able to offer a replacement or refund depending on the circumstances.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • rajenkiPC
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ted122781
  • babywings76