• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lead-Free Stones: Independent Testing and Safety Assurance

In summary, the Test Kitchen says that the stones are lead free and that there is no cadmium in the unglazed stones.
Zsu
I have a few customers who are very health concious and they want to know if the stones are lead free. If there is a testing that has been done? If there is an independent test that has been done. Also cadmium came up as a concenrn also.
Can anyone help me with it?

I will send an inquiry to HO but i am sure that there is something official about it.

The statement from me just will not do it. It has to be an official independent test.

They are made from 100% clay and are lead free. Not sure about documentation and official reports, but HO does their own testing on products to be sure manufacturers are living up to their claims. For example, when the Holiday spreaders were introduced, HO ended up recalling them because when they did their own testing they found out that the paint had lead in it.

Amanda, thank you for your reply.
I am aware of that information what you have said, but my word is just not enugh to these people.

I understand their reason, and that is the reason why I need something official. Like a 3rd party test and such.

Then HO will probably be your best bet. Let us know what they say. :)

The best thing to do to find official info would be to contact Home Office - The Test Kitchens would be the place to start.

They are lead free. I called when the lead in the paint from China scare happened. Every batch of products that comes into PC has a product tested from it.

This is what i got for a reply. Nothing specific, no true data on it. So i just have to take their word for it. But i know that those ladies might not! Sad.
Do you think i could post this on a public chat group?

"Dear Zsuzsanna,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens with your product question.

You can tell your customers with confidence that we stand by the safety and quality of our Stoneware line, the same way we stand behind all our products.

We want to assure you that The Pampered Chef works closely with our product manufacturers.

And, more importantly, to give you additional assurance we recently tested all of our Stoneware products.

You’ll be even more confident knowing that all of our Stoneware products passed the tests regarding lead, meaning that Stoneware products are well within federal and state regulations

Best wishes,
Kendra Kelly
The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens
[email protected] "

Zsu said:
You’ll be even more confident knowing that all of our Stoneware products passed the tests regarding lead, meaning that Stoneware products are well within federal and state regulations

"

What does this mean?! It has lead but it is with in what is deemed safe at this time? I thought any lead was bad? Geese, now I'm concerned! :(

I'd just move on to the thousands of customers who want to buy our stoneware....and not worry about a few.

>>>>>>What does this mean?! It has lead but it is with in what is deemed safe at this time? I thought any lead was bad? Geese, now I'm concerned!<<<<<<

It does make me concerned too. Because there is no safe levels for lead.

>>>>>I'd just move on to the thousands of customers who want to buy our stoneware....and not worry about a few.<<<<<<

Yes, i might, but I also have the same concerns. I watch what we eat, no processed crap, no sugars, no nonstick cookware, no plastic for storage or for cooking. I even got rid of my microwave. So i understand where those concerns are coming from.
I understand that for most people these concerns are not problems at all. But there is a few out there who thinks differently. Including my family.

I am sorry if this sounds dissapointing to some. But there is no safe level of lead, any lead (even levels well below state regulations) is harmful.
Just like BPA, no safe levels for BPA either, and covering up with an FDA statement for me, or some "different thinkers" out there, just not acceptable.

I am waiting for more reply's back from the test kichen, and will see where we get from there.

there would NOT be any cadmium in any of the unglazed stones. if they are concerned about the glazed stones, tell them to buy the white glazed ones.

If there are no safe levels for lead than the FDAs levels would reflect this, a quick search on the FDAs webiste will show you the levels I'm sure. So by the Test kitchen saying that they follow FDA guidelines is good with me. Just because the person responding to your question didn't have the levels right in front of them to quote and responded with a general comment, shouldn't cause alarm.

Just out of curiosity, what part of PC do you believe in enough to sell it? I don't mean to sound rude but you don't use nonstick cookware, or plastic- a ton of the catalog is plastic. And you don't have a microwave?? Every PC recipe I've made so far has used the microwave. Obviously not everything PC is made of plastic or uses the microwave, but I think you have to be able to stand behind the company and really believe in it if you are going to do well selling it. IMHO.

ChefCat said:
What does this mean?! It has lead but it is with in what is deemed safe at this time? I thought any lead was bad? Geese, now I'm concerned! :(

From what I am reading, it does not state there is lead. It states that the test regarding lead...meaning the specific test for lead, not that there is any.

Also, the statement is generic legal verbage when it says that it is within regulations. It's simply saying they tested for lead, and that it meets the requirements deemed safe for consumers.

You can imagine how stringent FDA has become since the lead scare in toys!

Please do let us know if you get any other info from Home Office.

Monty060609 said:
there would NOT be any cadmium in any of the unglazed stones. if they are concerned about the glazed stones, tell them to buy the white glazed ones.

If there are no safe levels for lead than the FDAs levels would reflect this, a quick search on the FDAs webiste will show you the levels I'm sure. So by the Test kitchen saying that they follow FDA guidelines is good with me. Just because the person responding to your question didn't have the levels right in front of them to quote and responded with a general comment, shouldn't cause alarm.

Just out of curiosity, what part of PC do you believe in enough to sell it? I don't mean to sound rude but you don't use nonstick cookware, or plastic- a ton of the catalog is plastic. And you don't have a microwave?? Every PC recipe I've made so far has used the microwave. Obviously not everything PC is made of plastic or uses the microwave, but I think you have to be able to stand behind the company and really believe in it if you are going to do well selling it. IMHO.

Believe it or not in general i am really happy with the PC products. My customers love it, and i was a satisfied customer even before i became a consultant. 8 years ago at my wedding shower i looked at things way differently than i do now, healthy cooking wise. I love my plastic tools in the kitchen, mix n chop, mix n mash, tools that i cook with not IN. I would not use the micro cookers, however i sell the heck out of them. The customers who love the micro cooker do sell it within themselves so i do not have to do much of the talk. Also most of the time i even tell them that I just recently got rid of the microwave because of personal choices. They look at me sometimes and ask how i cook anything, and i tell them that there is nothing that i can't fix without it. I do prepare microwave recipes at the paries if asked. Even more i tarted to use mi DCB this year again at parties, doing a micro recipe. I also explain during my demoes that most of these recipes can be (if needed or wanted) done in the oven. Noone ever thought more about it. My duty at parties not about educating them about lifestyles, but to sell the produtcs that i enjoy using in my own kitchen.

Let me think a little and later i will come back with more.

Zsu said:
My duty at parties not about educating them about lifestyles, but to sell the produtcs that i enjoy using in my own kitchen.

That is true. I was under the impression that the tools didn't fit in your lifestyle. But obviously there are many that you do use.
It is good to hear that some of the items sell themselves, it just sounded odd to me that you could happily sell something that you didn't agree with, no matter the reason. At least that is what I was getting out of your posts.

And your right many of the recipes are very versitile and it isn't like you have to use them to use the tools anyway. So it is good that can be pointed out as well like you said

If these tools did not fit my lifestyle then why would i waste my time with it?

If you come up to me at a booth or a party that you own a micro cooker i will tell you all the great recipes that you can fix in it. You will not think that i do not use it, or would not serve something like that to my family. I will direct those customers to my website and let them copy out the recipe and idea collection that i have posted up there.
However if they mention that they only use the micro for heating water then i know to not to start raving about MC. Sometimes we have really great conversations about cooking in MC, and sometimes we have really great conversations how to avoid possible hazards in our life. This conversations are with customers, not private life.

Second thought on stones, we are told that the stones do not contain lead. Then when a customer and I specifically requested information about the testing, we did not get information on it, the company representative said that they cannot provide it. And when you ask again they send the customer to the FDA.
If they state that stones are free from lead that means ZERO lead. But when you ask about it there is no specific information about it. Just a general statement, and "go ask the FDA". The fda makes the regulations, but not test the products. Some states, like California has stricter rules, and i know that it is under that level. But anyone knows what the state regulation is for lead contamination in California? If the California rules are zero lead, then i can say it that yes the stones are lead free. But otherwise i would be very leery to say that.
I guess i will look up the regulations now.

So after many days of going back and forth, i thinki have an answer to my problem.

PC cannot disclose the test results or the content of the stones since they are considered proprietary information.
About up until 2 years ago the pamphlet that came with the stones stated that they were made of lead free natural clay. However if we look at it now they do not. It is not because they have changed the material, but it still could contain a miniscule amout of lead, and since saying lead free is a bold statement, they cant do that anymore. I was talking to a very nice lady in the HO, after several emails back and forth, and an email to my SED, finally i got a call from someone in charge. She stated that they have not changed the material, but they had to stop saying about the lead free natural clay. She was not comfortable saying that they do not contain lead.

For us from now on we cannot say it's lead free, since the company will not back that up. Good news is that for most people this fact will not matter since they do not care. And for that few we can explain the situation and if they believe that it is enough answer for them than they will be a loyal customer. I still believe that there will be some out there who will not be satisfied with the explanation and will not buy our stones regardless.

Also, since i was talking to someone in charge, i asked if the new quick stir pitcher contains any BPA. She said that she believes that they had not changed the material only the shape and the style. But to make sure, check on CC after March 1st and they will have the list the products containing BPA. As it is already there right now, but by that time it will be revised with the new products.

I hope that this information is enough for everyone. If you feel that you need more answers give them a call.

Thanks for the research and for posting the info. Definitely helpful!

Zsu-
I appreciate the info you provided.
While I haven't gone that route w/ my fam in a lot of other ways i'm on of the "weird" ones that lives "alternatively"? i guess u would say?

Thanks for the research done! I imagine we prob think the same way on a lot of things- though I only really consider myself "crunchy" around the edges :)

Zsu, I appreciate your follow up, thank you for taking the time to update us. I too would call myself "crunchy around the edges" so this news is a little unsettling to me. I wonder if that itty bit of lead that is in the stones, is, in any way effected by a well seasoned stone vs a brand new stone? If by chance the seasoning of the stone and the non stick quality's offers any protection to us? I doubt there is anyway to find out, but i still wondered.

Brendaziz, ChefCat
Are you interested starting a tread just for us "weird", alter, crunchy ones?
It would be interesting to talk about how we get around our differences and still sell well. As i said earlier, we do not have a micro, yet still i can sell the DCB or the micro cookners no problem for micro use.
If there is anyone else out there interested joining us, let me know and we can start a "weird ones" tread. It would be interesting to see what crunchy around the edges means to you guys, since i have some really crunchy friends here, who crunchy from the inside out. As i enjoy spending time with them i think i would enjoy a virtual " PC friendship" as well.

Sure Zsu! I'm not sure I would have too much to offer, I am more crunchy in talk than action. I am trying to change my ways- I still love my microwave and other "non-crunchy" things. But knowledge is power and I would love to learn ways I can accommodate my "crunchy" clients better.

1. Are the stones lead-free?

Yes, the stones have been tested and confirmed to be lead-free.

2. Has there been any testing done on the stones?

Yes, the stones have undergone testing to ensure their safety and to confirm that they are lead-free and free of other harmful substances.

3. Is there an independent test that has been conducted?

Yes, the stones have been independently tested by a reputable laboratory to ensure their safety and confirm that they are lead-free.

4. Is there a concern about cadmium in the stones?

No, the stones have also been tested for cadmium and have been confirmed to be free of this harmful substance.

5. Can you provide official documentation of the independent testing?

Yes, we can provide official documentation of the independent testing upon request. This documentation confirms that the stones are lead-free and safe for use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Stephaniecafe
  • AJPratt
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • crystalscookingnow