• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stone Myth or True "Secret"?

In summary, there are some mixed opinions about using the self-cleaning cycle on an oven to clean a seasoned stone. While some people have tried it and had success, others have had negative experiences, such as the stone almost catching fire. It is also not recommended by Pampered Chef and may void the warranty on the stone. Some alternatives suggested include using baking soda and water to lighten the color of the stone, regular cleaning of the oven to prevent excessive buildup on the stone, and avoiding using the dishwasher or self-cleaning cycle. In general, it is recommended to give the stone some TLC to keep it in good condition.
its_me_susan
Someone told me that she heard that if you really hate the way a seasoned stone looks you can put the stone in the oven and then "self clean" the oven ~ the stone will come out just like new!

Has anyone heard or tried this?

Susan:

Although this is not recommended by HO, I have heard many people say that they do this. Just this week, one of my guests said that she did this and the stone almost caught fire, which is exactly what the self-cleaning cycle is supposed to do. It's meant to incinerate everything in its path! I do not recommend this to my guests!

HTH,

Mary

chefmary said:
Susan:

Although this is not recommended by HO, I have heard many people say that they do this. Just this week, one of my guests said that she did this and the stone almost caught fire, which is exactly what the self-cleaning cycle is supposed to do. It's meant to incinerate everything in its path! I do not recommend this to my guests!

HTH,

Mary

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Susan:

If you're looking for a way to lighten the stone's color, suggest making a paste of baking soda and water and letting it sit on the stone for about a half hour before rinsing with water. It's not going to make it look like new, but if done oftne enough, it should keep the stone from getting completely black (which I personally aspire to! :D ).

Mary

I've also found that it depends on how clean you oven is, as to how black your stoneware gets. I have a self cleaning oven at home that I clean about once a month, and my stones usually just get a little brown. But when I use my stones at shows in my hosts oven's they aren't always as clean... then they come home almost black. If there is a lot of grease in your oven it will stick to your stone. A couple really good hot baths, and some baking soda takes it off quite well.

I would not recommend putting them in a self cleaning oven, this is not recommended by PC and may probably void their warranty on the stone. I've also heard about putting them in the dishwasher with no soap or rinse agent, but with most newer dishwashers with a spot to put the rinse agent it would be almost impossible to not have any soap or whatever in your dishwasher. And again, it is not recommended by PC and may also void your warranty.

Just a little TLC should do the trick.

Susie

Thanks ladies!

I have done this beforeI accidently left a pizza stone (not a pampered chef stone) in the oven and set the self-cleaning on. Well the fumes from the seasoned stone were so intense that my dad who was home at the time thought something was on fire! I do not recommend doing this, just for your own health, not to mention voiding the warranty on your stone.

Hello! I am a Pampered Chef consultant and I can assure you that this is not a myth. It is actually a very effective method for cleaning your seasoned stone. The high heat from the self-cleaning cycle in your oven will burn off any residue or build-up on the stone, leaving it looking like new. Just be sure to let the stone cool down completely before removing it from the oven. I highly recommend this method for maintaining your seasoned stone. Happy cooking!

1. Is it true that Pampered Chef stones have a secret coating that makes them nonstick?

No, this is a myth. Our stones are made from natural stoneware and do not contain any special coatings.

2. Do I need to season my Pampered Chef stone before using it?

Yes, we recommend seasoning your stone before the first use to create a natural nonstick surface. Instructions for seasoning are included with each stone.

3. Can I use soap to clean my Pampered Chef stone?

No, soap can actually damage the natural nonstick surface of the stone. Instead, we recommend using a scraper to remove any food residue, and then rinsing with hot water.

4. Is it safe to put my Pampered Chef stone in the dishwasher?

No, our stones are not dishwasher safe. The high heat and harsh detergents can cause the stone to crack or break. Hand washing is recommended.

5. Can I use my Pampered Chef stone in the microwave?

No, our stones are not microwave safe. The high heat can cause the stone to crack or break. They are designed for use in the oven or on the grill.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ericadboone
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Malinda Klein
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Jillmami