1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Stone Myth or True "secret"?

1. its_me_susan

its_me_susan Senior Member

Someone told me that she heard that if you really hate the way a seasoned stone looks you can put the stone in the oven and then "self clean" the oven ~ the stone will come out just like new!

Has anyone heard or tried this?

Oct 14, 2005
  2. chefmary

chefmary Member Gold Member

Susan:

Although this is not recommended by HO, I have heard many people say that they do this. Just this week, one of my guests said that she did this and the stone almost caught fire, which is exactly what the self-cleaning cycle is supposed to do. It's meant to incinerate everything in its path! I do not recommend this to my guests!

HTH,

Mary

Oct 14, 2005
  3. its_me_susan

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Oct 14, 2005
  4. chefmary

chefmary Member Gold Member

Susan:

If you're looking for a way to lighten the stone's color, suggest making a paste of baking soda and water and letting it sit on the stone for about a half hour before rinsing with water. It's not going to make it look like new, but if done oftne enough, it should keep the stone from getting completely black (which I personally aspire to! :D ).

Mary

Oct 14, 2005
  5. I've also found that it depends on how clean you oven is, as to how black your stoneware gets. I have a self cleaning oven at home that I clean about once a month, and my stones usually just get a little brown. But when I use my stones at shows in my hosts oven's they aren't always as clean... then they come home almost black. If there is a lot of grease in your oven it will stick to your stone. A couple really good hot baths, and some baking soda takes it off quite well.

I would not recommend putting them in a self cleaning oven, this is not recommended by PC and may probably void their warranty on the stone. I've also heard about putting them in the dishwasher with no soap or rinse agent, but with most newer dishwashers with a spot to put the rinse agent it would be almost impossible to not have any soap or whatever in your dishwasher. And again, it is not recommended by PC and may also void your warranty.

Just a little TLC should do the trick.

Susie

Oct 14, 2005
  6. its_me_susan

Thanks ladies!

Oct 14, 2005
  7. I have done this before

I accidently left a pizza stone (not a pampered chef stone) in the oven and set the self-cleaning on. Well the fumes from the seasoned stone were so intense that my dad who was home at the time thought something was on fire! I do not recommend doing this, just for your own health, not to mention voiding the warranty on your stone.

Oct 14, 2005
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted