1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Stone and Fish?

1. Leigh0725

Leigh0725 Member

I have some fish that I am wanting to cook in the oven. Now normally I would put some foil down on a cookie sheet and then pop it in the oven. But, I got rid of all my metal cookie sheets since I love cooking with the stones. I have the square, the rectangle and the deep dish, so I have options to use, but am not sure about putting the fish right on the stone. Has anyone cooked fish with a stone with foil?

Nov 5, 2007
  2. Geekgirl69

Geekgirl69 Advanced Member Gold Member

We cooked blue fish on the stone (rectangular baker) without foil, it was awesome.

Nov 5, 2007
  3. Leigh0725

Leigh0725 Member

and it was okay afterwards? i use the rectangle baker a lot for cakes and casseroles, and am worried about a lingering fish smell/taste.

Nov 5, 2007
  4. caynreth

caynreth Member

I cook fish on my stone all the time. I've never had a problem with it retaining a fishy smell or taste. I guess because it's nonporous...Just give it a good going over with the scraper and really hot water and it all falls away.

Nov 5, 2007
  5. DebbieSAChef

DebbieSAChef Senior Member

Nope

No lingering smells on the stones. That's the beauty of stoneware, the taste and smells of foods don't stick to the stone. I bake homemade pizzas, or fresh salmon, cool the stone down, then use it to make cookies. That's what we are having for dinner tonight. Salmon with garlic mashed potatoes.

Debbie :D

Nov 5, 2007
  6. Leigh0725

Leigh0725 Member

awesome thanks! I'm having salmon too! though being in the midwest, it's not as tastey as being on the coast, but it will do. ;)

Nov 5, 2007
  7. kspry

kspry Advanced Member

I cook fish on my stones, too. If you're worried about lingering smells (which I haven't noticed on mine), just sprinkle some baking soda on it when it is damp and rub it around, then rinse again.

Nov 5, 2007
  8. Geekgirl69

Geekgirl69 Advanced Member Gold Member

Yeah what they all said!... I have had no problems with the fish smell/taste lingering at all. I just use really hot water and the scraper or the kitchen brush to get it off. I haven't tried the baking soda, haven't needed to yet.

Nov 5, 2007
  9. its_me_susan

its_me_susan Senior Member

SALMON is AMAZING on the stone! Simply preheat to 450, brush with BBQ sauce or maple syrup (my kids 2 favorite ways) or spray with oil and sprinkle seasonings. Bake 22 minutes or until flakes. I use the baking soda rub to clean whenever it seems fishy to me (not too often). :) Try it!

Nov 6, 2007
Have something to add?