• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Say Goodbye to Stinky Brushes with These Silicone Basting Tips

In summary, the author had a problem with the Silicone Basting brush that reeked of garlic. He tried handwashing and the dishwasher, but nothing worked. He then tried soaking it in baking soda water, running it through the dishwasher multiple times, and finally contacting HQ. HQ sent him a replacement brush.
susanr613
Gold Member
Hello:

I just signed up and am trying the New Consultant recipes. I wish I had taken photos of my 11-year old son and his 13-year old friend helping me "rehearse"! :D

Anyway, I used the Silicone Basting brush to coat my pizza crust with oil and garlic....and now the brush reeks of garlic. I tried handwashing and the dishwasher.

Any suggestions before I buy another brush to use with sweets?

Thanks so much!!!

Susan

Wash it with vinegar - I use that for everything else... ;)

Have you put it through a dishwasher yet?

BTW, this thread is just BEGGING for a parody - I am so trying to resist it...

Thanks - looking for more tipsHi -

Yes, I did put it thru the dishwasher...it smells faintly of Electrasol and strongly of garlic.

As for a parody...go for it! ;)

If the vinegar doesn't work try a soak in warm water and baking soda. Next, send it through the dishwasher again.

Hopefully one or the other will work!

Bumping for those who missed the parody. ;)

I had the SAME PROBLEM!First of all, in retrospect, I should have realized one clove of garlic was PLENTY! Second, I shouldn't have let it sit in my dishwasher overnight before running it!I tried soaking it in baking soda water.Ran it through the dishwasher more times than I can count.Did the product training on-line .... found out that the head COMES OFF so tried just cleaning the head ... it still smelled like garlic!FINALLY called HQ and asked for a replacement, saying "How can I tell customers it doesn't retain odors when it does?"They told me to throw the old one away and they would send me a new one because it was within my first 30 days.(Instead, I gave it to a friend who really doesn't care what it smells like. Truthfully, I was afraid it wouldn't come in before my next show, but it did.)

Well, got new brush out, made the garlic pizza again, came home, rinsed the brush, doused in soap ... soaked in baking soda water, ran through dishwasher twice, and guess what happened??

Still stinks!

I'm sure it will fade soon!

I wonder if there is a bad batch. I've used my several times to coat with oil and garlic and never had it smell. And usually it doesn't go into the dishwasher right away either. I don't know what to tell you!

Have you tried letting it sit overnight in a glass of vinegar? Couldn't hurt.

LOL! Yes i know, mine still smells liek BBQ, for the aloha pizza, and sad thing is , when they use it, they usually mention something like, oh this smells, dang do you wash your dishes?? YES! but i guess it is just one of those things. I guess dont let your dishes sit and sit. wash it immediatly after use. and maybe that could cut down on smell.

and about the perody? Got no idea.. fill me in.

My silicone brush stank after the first time I used it with garlic. I just handwashed it REALLY well... scrubbing and grinding the dish detergent in really really well and washing it until it abated. I now wash it IMMEDIATELY after using it on something stinky and it seems to be just fine. I wouldn't rely on a dishwasher... the nice thing too is you can demo how well it hand washes even with really rough handling. Most folks with a pastry brush know all too well how easy it is to lose bristles with 'traditional' brushes. After seeing ours 'manhandled' with my cleansing efforts, they kinda sell themselves.As for parody, it was parodied... I think that thread sank down but I think it was something like Stinky Silicon Breast...

susanr613 said:
Hello:

<SNIP>
Anyway, I used the Silicone Basting brush to coat my pizza crust with oil and garlic....and now the brush reeks of garlic. I tried handwashing and the dishwasher.

Any suggestions before I buy another brush to use with sweets?

Thanks so much!!!

Susan

Susan, The SAME thing happened to me! I soaked the brush in a baking soda and water paste for 10 hours, then soaked it in vinegar, tried soaking it in a concentration of soap, 409 and other various things I thought would help, and do you know what?
There was a TINY, MICROSCOPIC piece of garlic stuck in between some of the bristles! LOL I'm like for crying out loud! I was going nuts that I couldn't seem to get the stink of garlic off of it. Pull that thing apart bristle by bristle until you find the culprit! :)

Best of luck:D

lkprescott said:
As for parody, it was parodied... I think that thread sank down but I think it was something like Stinky Silicon Breast...

Yeah it was my lame parody...maybe I'll bump it again just for the heck of it...:D

1. How do these silicone basting tips help eliminate stinky brushes?

These silicone basting tips are designed to fit snugly over the bristles of your basting brush, creating a barrier between the brush and the food. This prevents the bristles from soaking up strong odors and flavors, reducing the likelihood of your brush becoming stinky.

2. Can these tips be used on any type of basting brush?

Yes, these silicone basting tips are designed to fit over most types of basting brushes, including silicone, nylon, and natural bristle brushes. They have a flexible design that allows them to stretch to fit a variety of sizes.

3. Are these tips dishwasher safe?

Yes, these silicone basting tips are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. You can also hand wash them with soap and water if you prefer.

4. Can these tips withstand high heat?

These silicone basting tips are heat-resistant up to 550°F, making them safe to use while grilling, roasting, or broiling. However, they should not be exposed to an open flame.

5. How many tips are included in a set?

Each set includes three silicone basting tips in different sizes: small, medium, and large. This allows you to use them on a variety of basting brushes or switch them out depending on the size of your brush.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • PCJenni
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • scottcooks