• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is this sticky substance on my stoneware and where did it come from?

In summary, someone's been cooking bacon on their stoneware and the residue has seeped out and gotten sticky.
pamperedchefpei
Silver Member
I have two pieces of stoneware I've been using for a long time (bar pan and rectangle baker). Both have started to develop this sticky substance on the outer corners of the underside. No matter what I do I can not remove it and can not figure out where it's coming from! Anyone heard of this before? It's very strange!

Have you tried making a thick baking soda paste and letting it sit for about 30 mins. Then wash with hot water? This is what I have heard works the best

spray oil (pam) will leave a residue that will become sticky over time. The baking soda should help.

I've never sprayed cooking oil on it. And the weirdest part is it's on the bottom - that's why I can't figure out what it is! Will try the bakingsoda paste...

If it is on the underside, not the cooking side, why not try some Dawn and a scrubbie?

Do you have a gas oven? This sometimes leaves a residue on baking pans and stones.

I got this after cooking bacon on it several times, using parchment paper. It's gross!It will be "clean" when I put it away in the closet, and when I take it out again, it has seeped out some more. Yuk!

Exactly! It seems worse when I take it out to use it again. I have used soap and a scrubbie, and no - I don't have a gas oven. I'll try the soda tomorrow (too lazy tonight!!) and will report back! : )

I have this on my older bar pan too... just noticed it recently. It's like the oil is seeping through or something. And it can't be from the spray (although I don't use Pam) because it's on the bottom of the pan. I guess I'll try the baking soda too and see what happens.

dont shoot me!!!! :blushing:

but, I'd put it in the dishwasher.... I know, I know... but sometimes, when my stones just dont clean up right I throw them in the dw to remove all the icky sticky stuff... works for me :eek:

Laura420 said:
dont shoot me!!!! :blushing:

but, I'd put it in the dishwasher.... I know, I know... but sometimes, when my stones just dont clean up right I throw them in the dw to remove all the icky sticky stuff... works for me :eek:

Do you use dishwasher soap? I use my dishwasher to rinse things all the time seeing as I never remember to fill the rinse aid.

ShellBeach said:
I got this after cooking bacon on it several times, using parchment paper. It's gross!

It will be "clean" when I put it away in the closet, and when I take it out again, it has seeped out some more. Yuk!

I have a bar pan that did exactly that! I used steel wool and baking soda paste to get the stickiness off, and have NOT used my bar pan for bacon anymore. The bottom of my pan is still discolored (looks almost seasoned) but it is no longer sticky, and it isn't seeping out grease onto the surface anymore. I don't like the bacon in the bar pan, anyhow...and I know that's what did it to my pan. HO thought that it may have had a hairline crack (i called them to see what the heck was up), but that's not the problem because it was happening ALL OVER, not in one area.

My large bar pan is the same way and also has been ever since I used it for bacon. I have been meaning to try the baking soda paste. I have tried soap a few times with no good result.

SassyCook said:
Do you use dishwasher soap? I use my dishwasher to rinse things all the time seeing as I never remember to fill the rinse aid.

Yes. I just put it in with the rest of the load and wash as usual...

I was at Pier One today and they are carrying 2 stones in a vanilla glaze that look 98% like ours. They have a deep dish pie plate and a square baker.
This is natural clay made in the USA by Haeger. I wonder if it is one of the places that used to make our stoneware.
Some differences I noticed, It is dishwasher safe, they recommend Pam to season it and it has a 90 day money back guarantee. Both pieces were $29.95 each. They are calling it "Natural Stone"

That's strange. I've used all 3 of my bar pans for bacon for almost 4 years now and I don't have any sticky, icky residue on mine.

I had the same "sticky" residue on my rectangle stones, and I put them in the dishwasher with NO soap and ran the cycle and they came out wonderful!!! That has been about 3 years ago and they are still perfect and working beautifully today!!

I have a question about the dishwasher.... I read on one post on here a while back that if you put your stone in the dishwasher it'll create hairline cracks and void the warranty, and obviously, ruin your stone. Anyone know anything about this? For those of you that have put yours in the dishwasher, any problems?

I dont put my stone in the dishwasher after every use... just after I make something that makes alot of mess or grease. If I feel the stone getting sticky or tacky I will put it in the dishwasher too. I havent had any problems as of yet, but that doesnt mean that I wont... however, I am willing to take the risk.

Laura420 said:
I dont put my stone in the dishwasher after every use... just after I make something that makes alot of mess or grease. If I feel the stone getting sticky or tacky I will put it in the dishwasher too. I havent had any problems as of yet, but that doesnt mean that I wont... however, I am willing to take the risk.

Okay, thanks, good to know!

Evelyn, I saw 3 stones that look exactly like ours in a JC Penny Cooks catalog yesterday. The same two you mentioned as well as the Rectangular Baker...they are also made by Haeger and list the same instruction you listed. The come in Cranberry and white. Their regular prices are higher than ours, but they are currently on markdown much lower than ours.

As for the goo....I had the same problem with my small bar pan, which I have never ever cooked bacon in...but I did cook Chicken on it and assumed thats what it came from. I called HO and they sent me a shipping label to return it but I haven't yet received my replacement piece :( I miss my small bar pan! It's perfect for a toaster oven!

1. What is the sticky substance that sometimes appears on stoneware?

The sticky substance on stoneware is a natural buildup of oils and fats from the food being cooked. This buildup is completely normal and does not affect the performance of the stoneware.

2. How do I remove the sticky substance from my stoneware?

The easiest way to remove the sticky substance is to soak the stoneware in hot water for about 20 minutes. Then, use a non-abrasive scrub brush or sponge to gently scrub the surface. You can also use a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste and scrub with that. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth.

3. Can I use soap to clean my stoneware?

It is not recommended to use soap on stoneware as it can leave a residue and affect the performance of the stoneware. If you do use soap, make sure to rinse the stoneware thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth.

4. How often should I clean my stoneware?

It is recommended to clean your stoneware after each use. This will prevent any buildup of the sticky substance and keep your stoneware in good condition for longer.

5. Is it safe to use stoneware with the sticky substance on it?

Yes, it is safe to use stoneware with the sticky substance on it. The buildup will not harm the stoneware or affect the food being cooked. However, it is recommended to clean the stoneware before each use for optimal performance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • BeckyC5830
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BeckyC5830
  • cheflorraine