• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Remove Sticky Residue from Pizza Stone?

In summary, my son's teacher has a stone that she has had for about 6 years that has some kind of sticky substance on it. She has tried the baking soda mixture and the nylon scraper, but nothing has worked. She also suggests trying boiling water.
jodistrauss
One of my son's teachers just e-mailed me. She said she has a stone that she has had for about 6 years. This past week she noticed it has some sort of sticky substance on it. She mentioned that her younger sister may have used a scouring pad on it... yuck.....but she isn't sure. She has tried the baking soda mixture and the nylon scraper, but nothing has worked. Any ideas??

Maybe soak it in waterfor a few hours, then do the baking soda?? I have never had anything on there that didn't come off with baking soda...

She could try carefully pouring boiling water over the stone, concentrating on the sticky area, then scraping.

Is there a chance it may crack the stone??

Not unless it's a really cold stone. If your her house is cold, she may want to start with hot tap water until the stone is warm.

Ask her if she uses aerasol (sp) sprays on them. The propellants will gum up the stone. Also, if she has gotten plastic too close to them, it may stick to the stone.
I am not sure if white vinegar may help too. I know it dissolves lime and mineral build up.
Will keep watching for other ideas shared here.

I would have her try the baking soda paste again and REALLY hot water. My cousin called me after having her stone for about 4 months and it was sticky. I think we finally figured out that she just wasn't rinsing it/scraping it with hot enough water and the grease was just starting to build up. Not sure if that's the case here if she has already had the stone for such a long time. I don't think I would do boiling water unless she runs really hot water over it first to heat it up really well!

I've actually used boiling water on my stones several times. It's never been a problem. I usually warm the stone up with hot water first, though.

raebates said:
I've actually used boiling water on my stones several times. It's never been a problem. I usually warm the stone up with hot water first, though.
Rae~

I didn't want to sound like you were way off base about the boiling water:D ...I just have visions of how people half listen and I would be afraid that they would take a cold stone and pour boiling water on it and then they would think *I* broke their stone! I do know that the really hot (boiling) water should really help if it's sticky.

Not a problem, Kelly. It's just that there had been a few questions about it, and I wanted everyone to know that it really is okay. The stones bake at a much higher temp than the boiling water.

She also might try coarse sea salt to scour the area.

I have a customer with the same issue. Her problem developed when she moved. Someone on here suggested it might be that she had a gas oven and that makes sense to me. Of course, I never followed up with her so I'll have to give that a try....

I have a gas stove and the stones I have used in it have not gummed up yet. I have used on one (the small round stone) in our electric toaster oven and it is slightly sticky. I wondered if I didn't over oil it when I seasoned it the first time. I need to try the baking soda deal and hot water.

chef_kimmo said:
I have a gas stove and the stones I have used in it have not gummed up yet. I have used on one (the small round stone) in our electric toaster oven and it is slightly sticky. I wondered if I didn't over oil it when I seasoned it the first time. I need to try the baking soda deal and hot water.
Same here. I went from an apartment with electric to a home with a gas stove and have not had any sticky problems.

I have a gas oven and an electric toaster oven...nothing sticky here!

Another vote for no stickies in a gas oven!!

I've used my stones in both gas and electric, and haven't had "sticky" problems with either. My first thought was that it was probably caused by an aerosol oil.

I was told that if you used cooking spray on it too often that this would create a sticky surface.

She might try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is amazing what that thing can do.

I never use cooking sprays on my stone and have noticed a mysterious black sticky surface on the under side of the stone for quite some time now. I always scrub on it with hot water and dawn before putting it away. And was only mildly concerned. That is before I noticed black sticky splats on the bottom of my shiny new convection oven that could have come from nowhere else but the pizza stone itself. My pizza was very small and so I no nothing dripped from the pizza onto the underside. Now, I'll try steam cleaning my oven! It's as if it oozes from the stone itself and with gravity and heat (the box says you can use 450 but I usually keep it to 425 when doing pizza and I only use cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking. Any news on this phenomenon?

Hot water always works on stuff like that.

1. What is the best way to clean sticky stuff off of a pizza stone?

The best way to clean sticky stuff off of a pizza stone is to let it cool completely, then use a plastic scraper or spatula to gently scrape off any excess residue. Next, use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe off any remaining residue. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives, as they can damage the stone.

2. Can I use soap and water to clean sticky stuff off of my pizza stone?

It is not recommended to use soap and water to clean sticky stuff off of a pizza stone. The soap can seep into the pores of the stone and affect the taste of future pizzas. Stick to using a scraper and water for the best results.

3. How do I prevent sticky stuff from building up on my pizza stone?

To prevent sticky stuff from building up on your pizza stone, it is important to properly season the stone before use. This involves lightly coating the stone with oil and baking it in the oven at a high temperature for about an hour. Also, be sure to use a parchment paper or a pizza screen when baking to avoid any direct contact between the pizza and the stone.

4. Can I use a pizza stone that has sticky stuff on it?

It is not recommended to use a pizza stone that has sticky stuff on it. The residue can affect the taste of the pizza and may also cause the stone to smoke or emit unpleasant odors when heated. It is best to clean the stone thoroughly before using it again.

5. How often should I clean my pizza stone?

It is recommended to clean your pizza stone after each use. This will prevent any buildup of residue and ensure that your stone is ready for the next use. If you notice sticky stuff or other residue on the stone, it is best to clean it immediately to avoid any potential issues when baking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Traci loves tocook
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • crystalscookingnow
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • SilverCeladon