• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Stone is Ruined: DH's Unfortunate Pie Mishap

scrubbing...and then scrubbing some more will take care of it. Just make sure the piece that gets sent back doesn't have the blank gunk!!Carolyn, I admire your restraint.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Dh was trying to be helpful - thinking he could season my new Lg Round Stone w/Handles really fast. He baked a peach pie...on to pof the stone so that all the bubble-over landed on the stone. Then he took the puie out & left the stone in the oven. The carry-over heat burned the pie-goo onto the stone in big BLACK marks. NASTY. Then to "fix" that, he slathered the stone in olive oil and baked it in the oven for a few hours. Oy. Now it has a thick sticky residue. I have scrubbed like crazy and nothing is working...help??

Try the baking soda paste - baking soda and a little water - rub it in and let it sit for awhile. It has worked on mine pretty good.

Carolyn,
Don't they advise not to bake on top of it like that I thought it would cause breakage.

actually she is lucky that he didn't break the stone. Shouldn't use the stoneware to catch drips and such

I am going to have to try the baking soda paste... the edge of my stone is sticky;)

ooohh i hate that. i had a PC show at my house when i first moved in and the consultant was my husbands bf's wife.. she didn'T have a lot of the products and since i had most of them she used my large bar pan to make the family burrito... god only knows what she did to it but it has nasty black stains on it and i can't get them out. it's been almost 2 yrs, do you think the baking soda will work?

ALSO.... i had my pie baker stored in the basement with a metal pan inside it and the metal rusted into the stone... should i still bake in it or throw it out?? i don't know if the risidual rust is bad??

thanks ladies!

janetupnorth said:
Try the baking soda paste - baking soda and a little water - rub it in and let it sit for awhile. It has worked on mine pretty good.

Yep - that is why I have always done. If my stone is really greasy for some reason, sometimes I do it a few times or just sprinkle a good coating of baking soda directly on the stone and see if it will absorb any of the icky stuff, then follow with the paste.

Carolyn~

You may need to do the baking soda paste a few times...along with lots of elbow grease each time!

My LBP started getting grease coming through on the BOTTOM a long time ago :grumpy: (it was a newer stone...have since heard other people say the same thing has happened to them...doesn't make sense since grease doesn't actually soak into our stones...) and it took a LOT of scrubbing to get it all off. It still looks "seasoned" on the bottom, but at leasst it isn't STICKY anymore. I actually ended up using steel wool on it with the baking powder paste...I know, not recommended but I was desperate! (And I have learned on other stones NOT to use blue or green scratchy pads, as the color will rub off onto your stone and that is basically impossible to remove...it just has to "wear off." So don't do that!! :eek: )

I hope yours comes clean! It's nice, though, that DH was trying to help you season it!:balloon:

Carolyn,
If it accidentally chips or cracks when you chase him with it, I wonder if that is covered by the warranty and could be replaced. :)

KellyTheChef said:
Carolyn~

You may need to do the baking soda paste a few times...along with lots of elbow grease each time!

I hope yours comes clean! It's nice, though, that DH was trying to help you season it!:balloon:

Um, no...you mean DH has to use a lot of elbow grease - LOL
Lucky for him I earned two of these so it's not the end of the world if this one looks nasty - we can use it at home and use the nice one for shows.

Last edited:
Teresa Lynn said:
Carolyn,
If it accidentally chips or cracks when you chase him with it, I wonder if that is covered by the warranty and could be replaced. :)

Or when I throw it at him frisbee style? LOL

Teresa Lynn said:
Carolyn,
Teresa! :D :D :D :D LOL

well, you know stranger things have happened.

Just make sure the piece that gets sent back doesn't have the blank gunk!!

Carolyn, I admire your restraint. I figured the man would wind up in the emergency room. ;)He may have dishpan hands by the time he gets done, but I think scrubbing over and over will do the trick.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... this happened to me as well and I put mine in the dishwasher with no soap. It didn't break and came out perfect. Of course, if you did this and it did break, they probably wouldn't replace it because it violates the warranty. But it worked for me.... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Aren't they so helpful?!?!? Hope all of these suggestions work. I guess on my end there is ONE advantage to living with a lazy man!!:grumpy:

I do joke with my customers and tell them that our stones are just another way we like to throw men off. Just as we got them used to cleaning with soap and water...we tell them they can't use soap with our stones!!!:)

I have another Sssshhhhhhhh!!! uhhhhh, couldn't you accidentally like, get some cool water on it and uhhhhh, accidentally let it crack and uhhhhhh, get a new one???? uhhhh who, said that?:confused: :confused: :eek: :blushing: LOL!
The company, I can almost guarantee, will work with you! I bet even if you told them that it was just tacky looking and not tell them all the details of your hubby's "helping!" then they'd probably replace it!!!! They are sooo good like that! They have replaced stones for my customers where the problem was clearly the customers, but they took care of the customer anyway! I just love PC!
I really truely believe you LOVE your man:love: ! Because, I can see you, Carolyn knocking him out with that stone otherwise and I can guarantee with the things you've said on here in the past, if it would have been your ex, he's be out COLD!!!:p LOL!!! ROTFLMBO!!!:D :D :thumbup: :D

Carolyn - I'm just surprised that he isn't trained better!!!:indif: Or, maybe he wasn't paying attention?

finley1991 said:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... this happened to me as well and I put mine in the dishwasher with no soap. It didn't break and came out perfect. Of course, if you did this and it did break, they probably wouldn't replace it because it violates the warranty. But it worked for me.... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

What about dishwasher additive? Do you have this in your dishwasher? Doesn't that get into your stone?
Schel

my stones go in EVERY day I have the little basket of rinse agent, use plastic booster, jet dry and cascade gel packs (yeah, I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleaning) :)

Okay...my large bar pan had something ooey gooey on it from my DH's attempt at cooking. It was "seasoned" on the bottom as well and looked really bad. I have a stiff wire brush (looks like our kitchen scrub brush but with wire bristles) that I used on it with the BS paste and it worked great.

1. What happened to my stone after my DH's pie mishap?

It is common for stones to become stained or discolored after being exposed to certain foods, such as berries or tomato-based sauces. The high heat from the oven can also cause the stone to crack or break.

2. Can I still use my stone after it has been ruined?

Unfortunately, if the stone is cracked or broken, it is not safe to use for cooking. If it is only discolored, you can still use it, but the appearance may be affected.

3. How do I clean my stone after a pie mishap?

To clean your stone, let it cool completely and then gently scrub it with warm water and a soft brush. Avoid using soap as it can seep into the stone and affect the taste of your food. If there are stubborn stains, you can try using a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste and gently scrub the stone.

4. Is there a way to prevent my stone from getting ruined?

To prevent your stone from getting ruined, always make sure to use a protective layer, such as parchment paper or aluminum foil, when cooking foods that may stain the stone. Also, avoid using high heat settings and never place a cold stone in a hot oven as it can cause it to crack.

5. Can I still use my stone for baking after a pie mishap?

Yes, you can still use your stone for baking after a pie mishap, as long as it is not cracked or broken. Just be aware that the discoloration may affect the appearance of your baked goods. You can also try using a baking mat or parchment paper to prevent any further staining.

Back