• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Staying Organized in a Small Space: One Bedroom Apartment Living

In summary, this person lives in a one bedroom apartment and has a lot of PC stuff all over the place. Their boyfriend wants to kill them soon because they have too much stuff. They recommend organizing your space and paying attention to the little things.
blueikaos
I live in a one bedroom apartment. I have PC stuff all over the place. My boyfriend wants to kill me soon. haha.

What are your best tips for staying organized?

kick the boyfriend out...you will have sooo much more space. lol. just kidding. I am an organization guru but can't tell you how to organize if I am not in the space to evaluate it.

Like Shelley said, it's hard to give organization tops without seeing the space. In general, I'd say keeping the PC stuff in one area would be a start. Or perhaps separate the tools from the paperwork, depending on your space.
That's how my PC items are setup - the tools are mainly in the kitchen, and the paperwork is in a little office area.

edit - some kitchen items are downstairs, like the mini loaf stoneware pan, the big 12-qt stockpot, breadmaker, rotisserrie oven - stuff we only use every few months is harder to get to. Put stuff you use daily/weekly in handy places.

The key is discipline and making yourself put things back right after you've used them and are done. But you already knew that:D

I use a drawer system for my paperwork and actually label it so that I am consistent on where I put everything back. I keep my kitchen tools in the kitchen and only bring what I need for a show. HTH

Most of my extra stuff is in a part of my master closet. If you have a small closet you can use, or convert into more space by adding more shelves. I had some space behind the door of my master closet. I put a bunch of wire shelves (I think 4?) and I left lots of space at the bottom to put my bag(s). That might be a good place to start. Doesn't mean a large area. I think my shelves are 2' wide.

You have too much stuff! :) Seriously, if it is taking over your living space, you might want to start sorting your stuff. Here is my system:
1) My kitchen - Everything in my kit lives in my kitchen. No duplicates unless they live in my kitchen (ie I have 2 cutting boards)
2) Paperwork - I keep this to a minimum, I don't use the 3-ply order forms and I stay away from the recipe cards, etc. I used to collect them but realized that I could get more interaction if I showed people recipes at the show and then e-mailed them the recipes they were individually interested in. Anyhow, the point is don't keep lots of papers around. Keep it to catalogs and mini-cattys.
3) minimize overstock - yep, we all have extras sitting around, make a list, set prices, and e-mail it out to your customers.
4) Storage - I keep everything in my storage to 2 big plastic bins (one is my overstock and one is everything else) and one paperwork tote.

Dorothy, can you come over to my house and play? Seriously, you rock!

The biggest thing I have learned recently that has made a huge difference is to pay attention to the little things. If I go through my day thinking "I'll [wash those dishes] [fold that laundry] [put that away] [make that phone call] [WHATEVER] later", by the end of the day, the amount of things I have to do is so large, I can't do it.

So, I try to do the little things through out the day, even if it means that I don't fully complete a large project.

I just finished re-reading a book called "Confessions of an Organized Housewife" (Half.com: Confessions of an Organized Housewife by Deniece Schofield (1982, Paperback, Illustrated)(9780898791006): Deniece Schofield: Books). It's an old book, written in 1982, and it does date itself with references to things like saving for a microwave as a large purchase (that made me laugh outloud!). But, it has some incredible organizing ideas that hold true to this day. Always find new things and ideas every time I read through it. Highly recommend it!

nikked said:
The biggest thing I have learned recently that has made a huge difference is to pay attention to the little things. If I go through my day thinking "I'll [wash those dishes] [fold that laundry] [put that away] [make that phone call] [WHATEVER] later", by the end of the day, the amount of things I have to do is so large, I can't do it.

So, I try to do the little things through out the day, even if it means that I don't fully complete a large project.

I work 53-60 hours a week and then do PC on Sundays (my only day off). I am an organization freak, my spices are even alphabetized, so I pick one room(s) in my house that gets cleaned as soon as I get home each day. Like Mondays is the Kitchen, because I do PC on Sundays, I may have some left over dishes. Both bathrooms on Tuesday. Living Room/Dining Room on Wednesday. Bedrooms on Thursday. Den/office on Friday and Saturday - I shop for my Sunday show. It only takes a small amount of time if I do it this way every day and I pick up after myself (as does my family) and do a little laundry every day.

Hope this helps someone from trying to do it all in one day and going crazy...:)

I bought a tall cabinet and store most of my PC stuff in there. Catalogs on the bottom, forms and lap boards next shelf up. Then labels packets, mini catalogs, recipe cards on the next shelf up. Then on the top shelf are smaller items and extra products like spices, towels, door prize gifts. I keep the name tags and DPDS either on that top shelf or the one below it, too. I also have a bookcase next to this with other things, but I need to go through and pare down. I have lots of empty space, so I just need to consolidate. I keep my boxes of envelopes (I mail mini's out for invites), host packet envelopes, small envelopes for just mailing receipts, extra PC bags, in the cabinet, too.Having a cabinet helps because then you can close the door to it, and not see all that paperwork and stuff. Even if it's organized, it can look kind of messy. ;)Then I have a file drawer with tabs to keep my PC finances, blank P3 receipts (in this drawer so they stay nice and flat), host coaching lists, recipes, flyers and other miscellaneous things. I have a drawer above that where I keep my calculator, business check books, my stamp, and postage stamps, pens, etc.So my advice is go through and thin down what you have. Sell or give away to a cluster mate or someone what you don't really use or need. Perhaps look into getting a cabinet or bookcase to put all your things in and also a filing drawer.

I use the cubes u can buy in AC Moore / Michaels for scrapbooking. Then I have lots of variety. Everything has a home and then on top of the towers I stand up binders with my CN's organized, all show receipts in binders, etc. I LOVE BINDERS! Also organize your emails and all files saved to your computer in electronic folders by topic.

All great ideas! Thank you so much!

I Personally would love to see photos of some of these ideas. I'll post some of my setup later (can't for a few days). But the cabinet/cubes, etc...would love to see those if possible. I'm a visual learner! ;)

I would like to see pictures I am aslo a visual learner.

I use the same system Melissa and I LOVE it! I could actually use a couple more cubes so everything has it's own shelf. I also use binders for different things.. i.e. repices in one, product information (different ways to use it) in another, ect. Love love love it! and I have a flash drive that I use specifically for my PC files. Organized in folders on there according to topic as well...

Melissa78 said:
I use the cubes u can buy in AC Moore / Michaels for scrapbooking. Then I have lots of variety. Everything has a home and then on top of the towers I stand up binders with my CN's organized, all show receipts in binders, etc. I LOVE BINDERS! Also organize your emails and all files saved to your computer in electronic folders by topic.

I have a few clear paper trays (inexpensive from Staples) on a few shelves in my office. They're stackable so I can put them 3 high and have my order forms in one, mini cattys and recipe cards in another, P3 receipts in another, envelopes, etc. It has worked wonderfully for me to maximize the 3 1/2 shelves I have and since they're clear they don't look too cluttered.

That being said, I'm still struggling to make space for all my product. I really do use almost all of the stuff I have in my kitchen on a regular basis. I need to get rid of some of my old non-PC stuff that I don't use anymore and that should help. If you can, I would recommend looking through your space and anything you haven't used or needed in a year put in a box, date it and put it away. If a year (or 6 months, however much time you think you need) goes by and you still don't need or use it, get rid of it. That's what I've done with all my grandmother's pyrex that my husband didn't want to part with. It's time is almost up!

What are some effective tips for staying organized?

1. Make a to-do list and prioritize tasks based on importance and urgency.
2. Create a designated space for important documents and items to avoid clutter.
3. Utilize a planner or calendar to keep track of appointments and deadlines.
4. Set aside time each day to declutter and tidy up your workspace.
5. Use technology, such as organizational apps, to help keep track of tasks and schedules.

How can I maintain organization in my daily routine?

1. Develop a consistent routine and stick to it.
2. Break large tasks into smaller, more manageable tasks.
3. Prioritize tasks based on importance and urgency.
4. Take breaks throughout the day to avoid burnout and maintain productivity.
5. Reflect on your daily routine and make adjustments as needed to improve efficiency.

What are the benefits of staying organized?

1. Increases productivity and efficiency.
2. Reduces stress and anxiety by providing a sense of control.
3. Allows for easier time management and meeting deadlines.
4. Saves time by avoiding searching for misplaced items or documents.
5. Provides a clear and organized mindset for better decision-making.

How can I organize my workspace for maximum efficiency?

1. Keep commonly used items within reach and less used items in designated storage areas.
2. Use labeled folders and containers for documents and supplies.
3. Invest in a desk organizer or storage bins to keep items organized.
4. Utilize a digital filing system for documents to reduce physical clutter.
5. Regularly declutter and reorganize to maintain an efficient workspace.

What are some common obstacles to staying organized and how can I overcome them?

1. Procrastination - Set specific deadlines and hold yourself accountable.
2. Distractions - Create a designated workspace and minimize distractions.
3. Lack of motivation - Set small goals and reward yourself for completing them.
4. Overcommitting - Learn to say no and prioritize tasks based on importance.
5. Perfectionism - Accept that not everything can be perfect and focus on progress rather than perfection.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kathytnt
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • Liquid Sky