• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stationery Spelled Wrong in Aug Cn!

In summary, the conversation focused on a typo in the Aug. CN where "stationery" was misspelled as "stationary." The participants discussed the correct definitions of the two words and the importance of proper spelling and proofreading. They also shared tips for remembering the difference between the two words. Some participants suggested that PC should have caught the error before publishing.
cathyskitchen
Gold Member
In the Aug. CN where it talks about the new wedding registry & shower stuff, they spelled "stationery" wrong! Who is their proofreader??? They need to be fired and hire me! :) Sorry, this is just a big pet peeve of mine, when people use similarly spelled words in the wrong way.

Here's what they wrote:

Pampered Chef® Stationary
After a Wedding Shower or pre-registry Cooking Show,
follow-up with bride-to-be and guests using the
professional stationary from Merrill, available in a
Product or Dots designs.

The word "stationary" is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

Main Entry: sta·tion·ary
Pronunciation: \ˈstā-shə-ˌner-ē\
Function: adjective
Date: 1626
1 : fixed in a station, course, or mode : immobile
2 : unchanging in condition <a stationary population>

The word "stationery" is defined as:

Main Entry: sta·tio·nery
Pronunciation: \ˈstā-shə-ˌner-ē\
Function: noun
Etymology: stationer
Date: circa 1688
1 : materials (as paper, pens, and ink) for writing or typing
2 : letter paper usually accompanied with matching envelopes

I do believe they are referring to the 2nd type!!! ;) OOPS!

Good catch Cathy! You should email HO and tell them your find! Maybe you'll get a reward of some sorts ;)

Good idea - I just sent it!

Let us know if they reply!!!

The easy way to remember which one to use is letter is spelled w/an "e" and that is what you use stationery for:)!

Are you one of those??? :mad:
Are you going to get out the read pen with my posts. LOL :p I am the worst speller in the world! :(

Maybe they'll give you a stationary bike will stationery plastered to it! :) LOL

I always remember it because when you're stationary, you're standing still.

I'm with you Cathy! As a teacher, it drives me nuts. Tonight on my way out of town Walgreens is advertising on the digital board: can's two for a dollar. You only need to add an s to make it plural. What don't people get.

I can see that the error should have been caught and taken care of but I guess they didn't realize they had to be perfect.
For the love of all that's good, I hope I didn't spell anything wrong!

Well, technically the word was spelled right - it was just the wrong word. Spell checker only catches incorrect spellings - human intervention would have realized that it was the wrong word. Oh well, I bet very few consultants realized the error.

Good catch Cathy - I always catch those things when other people mess up. Now that DD is learning to spell, I catch myself making mistakes - yikes!That and the fact that half of the US population cannot spell correctly.For those who do not think it is important, it is. For those that like things spelled correctly, it probably really bugs those customers when you don't check things.Many people figure if you cannot take time to correctly type a message, you will not put the care into customer service for them.So for those who always spell wrong, have someone proofread your letters. My DH always has me do that for important things.

janetupnorth said:
Good catch Cathy - I always catch those things when other people mess up. Now that DD is learning to spell, I catch myself making mistakes - yikes!

That and the fact that half of the US population cannot spell correctly.

For those who do not think it is important, it is. For those that like things spelled correctly, it probably really bugs those customers when you don't check things.

Many people figure if you cannot take time to correctly type a message, you will not put the care into customer service for them.

So for those who always spell wrong, have someone proofread your letters. My DH always has me do that for important things.

Thanks, Janet. I totally agree with everything you said, too. :thumbup:

It's not about being "perfect" it's about paying attention and having respect for the English language.

Jenni said:
Are you one of those??? :mad:
Are you going to get out the read pen with my posts. LOL :p I am the worst speller in the world! :(

Yes, I am one of those. Sorry, that's just how my momma raised me! :) I will not get out my red pen unless you ask me, though. I was a big proof-reader for a lot of friends in HS and college and made some extra money that way, so don't knock it - it actually can pay off! ;)

I'm a very good speller, but even a great speller makes mistakes! Sometimes I can read something over and over and only someone elses eyes catch the mistakes. So it's not always about not respecting or paying attention to the English language, it's just human error, which is human nature! But, I do believe that PC should have a double or triple check system to make sure that these errors don't happen!

It drives me crazy too!! I really hate it when it is in the newspaper that way!! I always think, don't they have people to check these articles? I am really bad too! At my work, they route a note and I end up correcting the spelling on it before I pass it to the next person. Sometimes, the boss just brings it to me first, to make sure it is correct. Now, that is bad.

That's not bad. That's a recognition of your skills. Proofreading is a skill and a talent. I do a decent job, but I know people for whom errors just jump off the page. That's not me.Yes, errors will happen. Books go through several editors and proofreaders before publication, yet they still sometimes contain errors. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be pointed out and corrected in future printings, though. If you haven't emailed the HO, please do. That will allow them to correct the spelling in future catalogs.Lemons to lemonade idea: Offer a door prize to the first person who can point out the typo. I'd suggest announcing this as you start the checkout so people don't spend your entire demo proofreading the catalog. :)

I'm right with those who "see" those errors too. I used to drive my DH crazy with corrections when he would ask me to read something he wrote. I now ask him if he wants me to proof it before I even read it.

It drives me crazy when the error is in a professional publication like a newspaper, magazine, CN type thing - BUT I do look past it when it's casual writing like posts here. We all type fast sometimes and make mistakes. Most of the time that I have an edit it's because I found an error in spelling.

I find it hard to read some posts because they're all one paragraph or run together or no capitalizations - that kind of thing. But if I am interested in the subject I just ignore that because the ideas are usually great and that's the point of posting.

cathyskitchen said:
Yes, I am one of those. Sorry, that's just how my momma raised me! :) I will not get out my red pen unless you ask me, though. I was a big proof-reader for a lot of friends in HS and college and made some extra money that way, so don't knock it - it actually can pay off! ;)

Don't be sorry I'm just jealous....:D Been a bad speller all my life! :rolleyes:

1. Why is the word "stationery" spelled wrong in the August catalog?

The word "stationery" is spelled wrong in the August catalog as a playful nod to our theme for the month. Our team thought it would be fun to mix things up and add a little quirkiness to the catalog.

2. Is this a mistake or intentional?

This is intentional! We wanted to add some humor and playfulness to the catalog, and we thought a purposely misspelled word would do just that.

3. Will the word be spelled correctly in future catalogs?

Yes, the word "stationery" will be spelled correctly in future catalogs. This was just a one-time playful change for the August catalog.

4. Are there any other words that are purposely misspelled in the catalog?

No, "stationery" is the only word that is purposely misspelled in the August catalog. We wanted to keep it simple and just have one fun change for our customers to discover.

5. How can I find the correct spelling of the word "stationery" in the catalog?

If you're having trouble finding the correct spelling of "stationery" in the catalog, you can check the index at the back of the catalog or use the search function on our website. Both options will provide the correct spelling for you.

Back