• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Stainless Steel Cookware: Host Exchanges and Refunds

In summary, two different hosts have emailed about their new cookware. One lady wants to exchange it for the executive set, and the other host wants a refund. Both hosts have said that everything sticks to their stainless steel cookware, and that the heat they are using is too high. Lowering the heat may help to prevent the cookware from sticking.
angmillar
In the past two days, I've had two different hosts email about their new cookware. One lady wants to exchange it for the executive set, and the other host wants a refund.

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!

Just wondering what issues are they having with the stainless?? I know my mom ordered both the 8 and 10 saute pans and the 10 has ad to be returned 3 times already. They have all burned the food, and the oil that she uses (the PC oil) on them sticks and won't come off. I know she's starting to get frustrated with it, but she does have another 10 one that isn't giving her any problems. It's so weird.

Both gals have told me that EVERYTHING sticks to them. One gal just made some soup tonight, and she said she had to scrub it out of the bottom.

SS is not nonstick. It is not supposed to be non-stick.

I think both hosts were thinking that it would be somewhat non-stick with the satin finish, or at least that everything wouldn't stick so much.

If things are sticking REALLY bad, it could be an indication that the heat they are using is too high. Stainless conducts heat really, really well, so everyone should use a lower setting. Med to med-high is fine... definitely not on high. It's a bad habit a lot of people have to crank their cookware up to high as soon as they get it on the stovetop and this will kill the pans.

Colleen you beat me to the punch! I was also going to say that I explain at my shows that SS pans need to be used at a lower heat than non-stick. I ask them if they have ever looked at the box of brownies that say bake at 2 different temps for different colored non stick pans. SS heats up really fast and needs to be lowered to cook best. When it's lowered it doesn't stick as much.

I have the SS 12" Skillet and that cleans up really nice. (Amazing really)

But I also have the SS 8" Saute and when I make the pizzas from CN- they stick! I love the recipe but I have I hard time getting them out of the pan. I notice that it is mostly the sauce or cheese when it spills over that is causing the the buiscuits to stick.

I will have to try lowering the heat a little...Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks

I just used my SS try me piece for the first time last week... and made rosemary lemon chicken and BOY DID IT GET MESSY! It was a pain to clean up, and I was wondering what went wrong... Then my husband used it to fry sausage, and another sticky icky mess and we had to let it pre-soak for a while then scrape and scrub... not fun... I was beginning to get turned off with the SS line all together, because I would NEVER want to sell customers something that is such a pain to clean up! But now I will try cooking on lower heat and see if that does the trick!!! Thanks for the SS advice guys! :rolleyes:

It really doesn't matter what you cook in it, SS is going to stick. That is how you get the "goodies" in the bottom of your pan to flavor your gravy after frying meat. Whether or not it is hard to clean up is the big issue. I haven't decided whether or not to get any of the SS pieces yet. I spoke with a friend of mine who is an excellent cook. She is Italian and cooks all the time for her family. She told me that SS is good for making mashed potatoes or soup, but you never want to fry anything because it would stick. She did not recommend me getting the 12" skillet. She said she did not think I would be happy with it. She has some stainless pieces...a very expensive set actually. She said that all SS sticks. So, I think I am taking her advice. She has been cooking a lot longer than I have.

Thanks for ss advice. the low heat thing is something I will need to work on!:eek:

In light of all of this information I think I am going to "stick" to recommending the executive cookware (no pun intended:blushing: )

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 12" SS Skillet.

I make the Asian Pork and Noodle Stir Fry in it. It looks awful while cooking - all the fond at the bottom of the pan. It looks burnt on and like it will never come off. Then the water is added to the recipe and you scrape the fond off the bottom of the pan while cooking - so the flavor goes into the food. By the time the recipe is done and you have removed the food - the pan is amazingly almost clean. I soak it for a few minutes and then it cleans up really nice with soap -and maybe a little Bar Keepers Friend.

I LOVE my SS and Executive Cookware. I have not had a problem yet. With the SS I use EVOO and cook on low heat. Easy to clean. I only have a few Executive pieces but love them too.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have had a bad experience. :confused:

I think one of the keys to cleaning SS is to "deglaze" the pan before cleaning. If you're making a sauce, you deglaze the pan by adding your wine, stock, cream, or whatever, and scraping up the little stuck bits (fond). If you aren't making a sauce, a good bit of water added to the pan and a few minutes of scraping up the stuck bits will make cleanup much easier.

Shawnna said:
It really doesn't matter what you cook in it, SS is going to stick. That is how you get the "goodies" in the bottom of your pan to flavor your gravy after frying meat. Whether or not it is hard to clean up is the big issue. I haven't decided whether or not to get any of the SS pieces yet. I spoke with a friend of mine who is an excellent cook. She is Italian and cooks all the time for her family. She told me that SS is good for making mashed potatoes or soup, but you never want to fry anything because it would stick. She did not recommend me getting the 12" skillet. She said she did not think I would be happy with it. She has some stainless pieces...a very expensive set actually. She said that all SS sticks. So, I think I am taking her advice. She has been cooking a lot longer than I have.

When you add liquid (broth, cream, etc), does it steam up and "release" the stuck stuff like it's supposed to? I am so scared of my SS cookware. It doesn't come shiny clean. I was using bar keeper's friend, but HO said try to vinegar & water like it says in the U&C (guess I should really start reading those though a few times? - I feel stupid...).

Has anyone put these in their dishwashers? broiled? What are your best made things in the SS?

kam said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 12" SS Skillet.

I make the Asian Pork and Noodle Stir Fry in it. It looks awful while cooking - all the fond at the bottom of the pan. It looks burnt on and like it will never come off. Then the water is added to the recipe and you scrape the fond off the bottom of the pan while cooking - so the flavor goes into the food. By the time the recipe is done and you have removed the food - the pan is amazingly almost clean. I soak it for a few minutes and then it cleans up really nice with soap -and maybe a little Bar Keepers Friend.

Oh phew! I'm going to try this! Have you tried any other of the ramen flavors? The recipe just hasn't appeal to me.

raebates said:
I think one of the keys to cleaning SS is to "deglaze" the pan before cleaning. If you're making a sauce, you deglaze the pan by adding your wine, stock, cream, or whatever, and scraping up the little stuck bits (fond). If you aren't making a sauce, a good bit of water added to the pan and a few minutes of scraping up the stuck bits will make cleanup much easier.

What are using to scrape with?

I want to get the 12" SS with my POR but now I'm a little scared. I really want it for some reason but I hate scrubbing my pans. And I can't return it if I use POR. I'll have to think about this some more... I guess if I hate it it's not like I'm out any money. Hmmmm. Such big decisions :rolleyes:

I'll have to try the vinegar & water solution, because my 10" saute pan has a horrible discoloration in the bottom of the pan after using it only once. I didn't even display it at my fair last weekend because of this.

its_me_susan said:
Oh phew! I'm going to try this! Have you tried any other of the ramen flavors? The recipe just hasn't appeal to me.
I've made it with Asian and Creamy Chicken (the store was out of Asian that day). The Creamy Chick was nowhere near as good. The Asian kicks butt- it's a great recipe!

One lady wants to exchange it for the executive set, and the other host wants a refund.

Bummer!

They might be using them at too high of heat. But, I did the recipe that came with the SS 8" pan - Sauteed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce - it went in the oven at 400F. What a pain to clean!

I have another stainless set that's similar in quality, and it lost its shine pretty quickly. I had to scrub it with S.O.S to get it clean.

its_me_susan said:
What are using to scrape with?

A nylon turner/spatula or a bamboo spatula.

I don't hate my SS 12" skillet but I definitely wish I would have gotten the Exec. instead. I LOVE my Exec. cookware. I'm getting used to the stainless but the ONLY way I can get it clean is with Bar-Keepers Friend. Love this stuff!

its_me_susan said:

I have only used the Oriental flavored Ramen so far.

DH is a little funny about "repeating meals". If we have spaghetti on a Monday and I mention spaghetti again anytime before the next Monday he accuses me of trying to kill spaghetti for him. This goes for ANY meal.

So now to the Asian Pork & Noodle Skillet. This is so wonderful that DH is actually asking for it twice a week!!! We had it earlier last week and by Friday we was asking for it again. He wanted to know why I wasn't pushing to make it more often! I let him know I didn't want to be accused of killing the dish for him!

We have it so often (and the pork is expensive and not on sale too often) that we use chicken and it is just fine!

Also: we have started subbing fresh sliced mushrooms in place of either the carrot or red pepper.

Sigh ...First of all, a disclamer. I was NEVER a fan of non-stick cookware. I blame this partially on my mother, who raised me on stainless and club aluminum pots and cast iron skillets, which I still cook on to this day ... and a dear uncle who lived with us during childhood ... who INSISTED on cooking on poor quality teflon pans, which flaked and peeled and got in the food. I have a BIG stubborn streak. I have only cooked with the executive pan once since I got my kit, and I was impressed with it despite myself. But I still hate being told what kind of utensil I have to use to flip my eggs.That said ... there are two kinds of people in the world ... non-stick people and anti-non-stick people. It looks like the stainless line was meant to reach out to those of us in the second camp.HOWEVER, a few major problems:
• You can buy a non-stick saucepan or stock pot in non-stick ... but for stainless, there is no way you can buy a set without a frying pan. There is no WAY I would fry in a stainless frying pan! That, my friends, is what CAST IRON is for.• You can buy stainless cookware, but not the proper utensil to use for stirring from Pampered Chef. To properly stir a pot of soup cooking in a stainless pot, you need NOT a wimpy silicone spoon, but good old fashioned METAL, so you can feel that you are actually hitting the bottom of the pan!In short, it seems like PC is throwing a bone to those of us who are anti-nonstick without taking the time to understand what it is we need. How about a metal stirring spoon that won't rust in a year, for starters?Personally, I wish PC would mix up its sets, since they tell us that stainless is good for some dishes, and non-stick is good for others. Or at least let me buy a stainless saucepan and stock pot without buying a frying pan, so I can finally replace those vintage ones I inherited from Mom, which have duct tape around the handle!End of mini-rant ... just trying to provide a bit of insight.Oh ... and I personally believe that metal cookware (stainless, cast iron and other non-teflon surfaces) does not stick, as long as it is stirred properly and often enough, and as long as enough water or oil is used. If a person is used to non-stick, they'll hate stainless because they are used to using less oil and stirring less often. This is why Roomie complains that my cookware sticks and I've NEVER had a problem with it sticking.

The vinegar and water solution works. A host bought the SS in Sep and called me last week upset that two pans had discoloured. I read her the use and care info about the v/w solution and she tried it while we were on the phone. Voila!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Sigh ...
Personally, I wish PC would mix up its sets, since they tell us that stainless is good for some dishes, and non-stick is good for others. Or at least let me buy a stainless saucepan and stock pot without buying a frying pan...
... and I personally believe that metal cookware (stainless, cast iron and other non-teflon surfaces) does not stick, as long as it is stirred properly and often enough, and as long as enough water or oil is used. If a person is used to non-stick, they'll hate stainless because they are used to using less oil and stirring less often. This is why Roomie complains that my cookware sticks and I've NEVER had a problem with it sticking.

So true! I wish they would have all open-stock pieces so we can mix & match the cookware. It just makes more since. Especially since you can just go to any store to buy only 1 piece. As far as SS...I haven't had any problems yet either. I love our cookware!!!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Sigh ...

First of all, a disclamer. I was NEVER a fan of non-stick cookware. I blame this partially on my mother, who raised me on stainless and club aluminum pots and cast iron skillets, which I still cook on to this day ... and a dear uncle who lived with us during childhood ... who INSISTED on cooking on poor quality teflon pans, which flaked and peeled and got in the food. I have a BIG stubborn streak. I have only cooked with the executive pan once since I got my kit, and I was impressed with it despite myself. But I still hate being told what kind of utensil I have to use to flip my eggs.

That said ... there are two kinds of people in the world ... non-stick people and anti-non-stick people. It looks like the stainless line was meant to reach out to those of us in the second camp.

HOWEVER, a few major problems:
• You can buy a non-stick saucepan or stock pot in non-stick ... but for stainless, there is no way you can buy a set without a frying pan. There is no WAY I would fry in a stainless frying pan! That, my friends, is what CAST IRON is for.

• You can buy stainless cookware, but not the proper utensil to use for stirring from Pampered Chef. To properly stir a pot of soup cooking in a stainless pot, you need NOT a wimpy silicone spoon, but good old fashioned METAL, so you can feel that you are actually hitting the bottom of the pan!

In short, it seems like PC is throwing a bone to those of us who are anti-nonstick without taking the time to understand what it is we need. How about a metal stirring spoon that won't rust in a year, for starters?

Personally, I wish PC would mix up its sets, since they tell us that stainless is good for some dishes, and non-stick is good for others. Or at least let me buy a stainless saucepan and stock pot without buying a frying pan, so I can finally replace those vintage ones I inherited from Mom, which have duct tape around the handle!

End of mini-rant ... just trying to provide a bit of insight.

Oh ... and I personally believe that metal cookware (stainless, cast iron and other non-teflon surfaces) does not stick, as long as it is stirred properly and often enough, and as long as enough water or oil is used. If a person is used to non-stick, they'll hate stainless because they are used to using less oil and stirring less often. This is why Roomie complains that my cookware sticks and I've NEVER had a problem with it sticking.
Please email HO with this information. They need to hear from someone like you!

yes, definately send HO that email. I didn't think about the fact that we don't have open stock SS pieces and that some would want them. But, why wouldn't they? We want non stick open stock, so naturally people who love to cook with SS would also want them. My mom is a big fan of cast iron skillets. I used to have some, but hated them. But, I will say it is because you have to take a little extra time to condition and clean them after you use them and I am just lazy when it comes to that. That is why I love our non-stick cookware...easy to clean and care for. But, I have to honestly say that I sometimes put them in the dishwasher.

Thank you for sharing your information with us on cooking with stainless. It is very helpful to me.

Oh, I want to add that I think if we have had a lot of good response to our SS line that HO will give us open-stock pieces.

It's funny. The pieces I most wanted were the frying pan and saute pans so I could put them under the broiler. I didn't think of wanting just the saucepans. I have both sets (Exec and Saainless) and grab a different one each time I make something so I can compare and have stories to tell about using and cleaning them. So far I am thrilled with both!

My mother had a cast iron too and I got one a few years after I was married - I hated it but then I didn't understand about the seasoning thing. Now I think they are just too much work (I know, I know...) and LOVE my 2 PC sets and my stoneware!

I really don't want PC to come out with any more cookware or stoneware - one only has so much room in their house!

So Beth...give us some recipe and cleaning pointers on the SS Skillet. I really wanted that 12" SS skillet, but after all the posts on how hard it is to clean I have been leaning toward the Executive SF Skillet instead. I guess what I am saying is "Make me want that SS Skillet"!

Well, every recipe that I have tried has given me the same result, even the Artichoke Chicken recipe from 29 Minutes.

I leave the pan on the stove (turned off) while we eat. After dinner I fill the pan with hot soapy water and do other hand wash dishes and fill the dishwasher - clean up from dinner. I then wash the SS pan last. It always wipes clean. Once or twice I've used the green scotch scrub thing on a pan to get the last marks off but usually don't even have to do that.

I know we can put them in the dishwasher but I prefer to wash larger things like pans by hand and leave the space in the dw for smaller items. I only run it every other day when it fills up.

I think it's as easy to clean the SS pan as it was my old non-stick cookware. Not as easy as the Exec (that is AMAZING) but easy enough.

BethCooks4U said:
Well, every recipe that I have tried has given me the same result, even the Artichoke Chicken recipe from 29 Minutes.

I leave the pan on the stove (turned off) while we eat. After dinner I fill the pan with hot soapy water and do other hand wash dishes and fill the dishwasher - clean up from dinner. I then wash the SS pan last. It always wipes clean. Once or twice I've used the green scotch scrub thing on a pan to get the last marks off but usually don't even have to do that.

I know we can put them in the dishwasher but I prefer to wash larger things like pans by hand and leave the space in the dw for smaller items. I only run it every other day when it fills up.

I think it's as easy to clean the SS pan as it was my old non-stick cookware. Not as easy as the Exec (that is AMAZING) but easy enough.

This works great...It's not really that HARD to clean, but it just doesn't look brand new anymore after you use it. That's what I use the Bar Keepers Friend for. Takes off any remaining stuff and makes it shine again!

I got the 12 inch family SS skillet with my points. I love it. The secret is low heat. I have a gas stove, but it doesn't matter. I have cooked eggs, bacon, the asian noodle dish, hamburger helper. Immediately after using, I put a small amount of hot water and dish soap in. I then use the PC brush (scraper side) to release anything and a sponge with a rough side to wash out. It comes clean with very little effort. It isn't non-stick so some scrubbing is required, but I don't find that it's much work.

:love: I absolutely LOVE the SS! I have the 8" and the 10" pans. I love to do sauces using the browned bits of chicken.. I use olive oil..light.. The best recipe is the Chicken with Artichoke toping in the new 29 mins to Dinner Cookbook. It will make you look like a real professional chef. I do de-glaze the pan --usually with wine-- to make a light sauce. I also add fresh mushrooms and the wine prior to putting it under the broiler. In the end.. clean-up is not that hard. Just soak for a short time..everything comes right out. I do use the Barkeepers Friend. It looks like new after you use it. If you have had issues, get some, clean it up, and start over! You will love it if you follow the recipe. Just realize that it is different from non-stick for a reason, and that reason provides the most flavorful sauces you can make with little effort. You will amaze yourself! Let me know how it goes.

bsaxman said:
In light of all of this information I think I am going to "stick" to recommending the executive cookware (no pun intended:blushing: )

Ok...old stainless cookware person here...

I have been using SS cookware for years and I don't see the big deal with sticking to the bottom of the pan. Even when it does stick, let it soak for while, then swish it out with a scrubber and toss it into the dishwasher.

But then again, PC has something for everyone.

I made the cinnamon bites last night with Grands biscuits, butter, brown sugar and pecans. I put the SS pan in the dishwasher and it came out perfect. I think I'll stick to using SS for high fat foods or recipes created especially for SS. I wouldn't normally put the SS in the dishwasher, but I figured with all that butter it would come clean.

I hate the ss collection as I've mentioned before. Everything I try to cook in it sticks really bad. I have tried to cook as low as 2 or 3 to fry and egg and it ruins the egg. I will not recommend this to anyone. The executive line however, I absolutely love.

tabnat80 said:
I hate the ss collection as I've mentioned before. Everything I try to cook in it sticks really bad. I have tried to cook as low as 2 or 3 to fry and egg and it ruins the egg. I will not recommend this to anyone. The executive line however, I absolutely love.

Just a heads up ... Eggs should never be done in stainless. They will never work.

I love SS cookware and I wouldn't fry an egg in it. That is why NS cookware was invented!

FYI if you have blue discoloration on the bottom inside of your SS pan it is from too high of heat.

I also agree about the SS open stock pieces. I would love some sauce pans and not the fry pans. I already have too much cookware and just need a couple good sauce pans. Hopefully PC will change that next season.

I have done eggs in the ss 8" saute pan. It worked pretty well (maybe I used to much butter?) :) But the executive still works better for eggs.

I did the 20 minute ribs last night using my ss 12" skillet. It was a pretty big mess with all the bbq sauce and stuff. I just added some water to the bottom and turned the burner on till it was hot and then scraped it all off the bottom. It worked like a charm!

E-mail HQ??? Hmmmmm .... let's wait until I get some credibility under my belt. As of this point, I haven't turned in a show yet (although I have three shows open.) Mostly, I was just venting.

I noticed that I CAN get a SS saucepan ... on a supply order. For $75. No thanks because a) I have a lot more important things to spend that on and b) I shoudn't get anything customers can't get for themselves.

Mostly, I was just venting. There are a whole lot of us who are not used to stirring without metal utensils.

I was at a gift fair this weekend talking to another PC consultant. (I was there representing my "old line" as I had signed up weeks ago.) She mentioned that her family loved it for steaks but she didn't know how to clean it because it says not to use steel wool. I told her some on here had suggested Bar keepers friend and she was thrilled.

I tried cooking the chicken rissotto thing in mom's old cast iron. It stuck ... badly, mostly due to crucial mistakes I'd made because I was tired. I just soaked it in water for a while (I know, you're not supposed to soak cast iron) and scrubbed it clean with a copper scrubbie. (They say you're not supposed to use soap on it either but I break that rule often!)

When it was done, it looked a little dry. So I just simply picked up my trusty can of Pam, sprayed the inside and wiped it clean with a paper towel. It is now seasoned and ready to be used. How simple is that??

Anyway ... I still wish I could get a stock pot or sauce pan with my Panorama points, but it looks like I wouldn't have enough even if I could. At least not so far. Book Party Hostess #1 has sold an executive sautee pan. That gives me enough, I think to purchase another satee pan. I already have one .. and Roomie won't even use it because he says it's too small.

It's not how long you have been a PC consultant or how many shows you have done that qualifies you to send the email to HO, it's the fact that you are an experienced Stainless cookware person. They need to hear opinions from people out in the real world like you when it comes to products like this!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alma
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • redsoxgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies