• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stainless Cookware - Good, the Bad and the Ugly

In summary, the PC Stainless cookware is different than the non-stick cookware that most people are used to. So far, the only thing that has worked well in the stainless pots and pans is pan fried fish. The stainless cookware is also difficult to clean.
lindy0116
I'm adding the PC Stainless cookware to the PC Executive and Circulon cookware I've been using for years. I'm quickly realizing it handles VERY differently from the non-stick I've been using my whole life. So far the only thing I really have down is pan fried fish, which is fantastic.

I'm wondering what experience everyone else can share with me on what cooks really well in the stainless pots and pans and what doesn't so much. What works for you and what recommendations do you make to customers looking to start with it new?

I have not tried pancakes and crepes in the SS but pretty much everything else i can cook in them.

If you have specific questions i might be able to help.

Everything but eggs

Oh yes, I've tried the scrambled eggs - not so good. I may try fying an egg to see how that works out.

I also tried reheating some fried shrimp from Red Lobster which didn't work out so well either. Which kinda surprised me. I heated the pan first, then some oil and finally added the shrimp. I was expecting it to crisp up the shrimp and instead the breading just fell off and was a mess in the oil.

The pan has also become difficult to clean so I'm investing in either the PC cleaner or I've seen others talk about Bar Keepers Friend working well also.

lindy0116 said:
The pan has also become difficult to clean so I'm investing in either the PC cleaner or I've seen others talk about Bar Keepers Friend working well also.

I can't wait to get the stainless cleaner myself, but I stumbled on a trick by accident. I "deglaze" my pan. Many recipes call for this, it's adding some wine or broth or juice to the pan after the food is cooked, to stir up the remants in the pan and make it into a gravy or sauce.

So that's how I started doing it, but I've been doing it with water even when I'm not making a sauce for the food--after you remove the food, reduce the heat to medium, add about 1 cup of liquid (broth, citrus juice, white wine, some combo of those, or ust water if you are simply cleaning it.)Simmer and stir, use a spatula or spoon to loosen up those bits, for a minute or a 90 sec. Pour it out, wipe it out, and let your pan cool before you wash it.

this has definitely enhanced my relationship with stainless.

My favorite thing to do with my large stainless skillet involves the stove and the oven. Turn your oven on to 450. Meanwhile, butterfly a chicken. If you are feeling ambitious, bone it. If you don't feel like butterflying it, use pieces, with skin. Mix 1 c feta cheese with 1T rosemary leaves, chopped fine. Stuff this cheese mixture under the skin. Salt and pepper the chicken.

Heat the frying pan, with about 1T canola oil. When it is good and hot, put the chicken in, skin side down. Wait. Do not touch it. Watch it, when the edges start to look cooked, use your tongs--gently--to see if you can lift it. If so, it's ready. Turn it over, put the whole thing in the oven. Check the temp after about 10 more minutes, and when it's done, let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes.

hope this helps. Can't wait to get my whole set of PC SS.

Marghi

Stainless frying pans are a very different beast. They are mostly used to create "fond" which is the semi-burnt bits on the bottom of the pan after searing meats. After deglazing the pan with a liquid, the fonds are used to make sauces and gravies because they are so flavorful.

You can fry, saute, sear and crust just about any meat or seafood in SS. Some delicate fish should be well lubricated with oil, etc. Using a high heat and a pre-heated pan can put a very nice crust on a steak, burger, coated chicken or thick porkchop. The trick is to not mess with the meat at all until you are ready to flip it after the crust has formed.

CC also has some nice training material on selling the SS pans. Best of luck :)

lindy0116 said:
Oh yes, I've tried the scrambled eggs - not so good. I may try fying an egg to see how that works out.

I also tried reheating some fried shrimp from Red Lobster which didn't work out so well either. Which kinda surprised me. I heated the pan first, then some oil and finally added the shrimp. I was expecting it to crisp up the shrimp and instead the breading just fell off and was a mess in the oil.

I make scrambled or fried eggs in them all the time. Somewhere already explained how. It is important to have the pan med hot before you put in the eggs otherwise it will stick. Also you need more oil/butter/fat (whatever you use) before the eggs and its important that it coats all the bottom and even the sides of your pan too.

With breaded stuff, it's pretty normal that it will loose it's cover whatever way you do it. I would wrap that in aluminium foil and bake it in the oven.

If you want to reheat some leftover chinese, i put it in the pan, turn on and when it starts to sizzle i may add some liquid (water etc) and turn it to moderate temp, with a lid on. It will come out nice. Same as leftover pasta etc.

Barkeepers friend or the SS cleanen is both nice. You will save a bundle with the barkeepers friend though.

This is great feedback, thanks. Mostly I'm hearing about glazing and frying, basically pan use. Is is worth getting the set then with the pots or just a couple of the larger pans in SS and stick with the Executive cookware for pots?

I have more SS then non stick. I use large pots for boiling water and cooking pasta, rice etc. Today it was chicken soup. I would not do this in a non stick, no reason to (IMO). Yesterday it was spagetti meat sauce. I was using the 12" skillet, browned the meat and everything else i decided to put into it, then added the sauce. The browned on bottom came up nicely with the sauce, making the flavors even more intense. Pasta was cooked inthe SS pot, again.
If i make fajitas, meat for burritos and tacos i cook those in the SS skillets.

the only time i use non stick exclusively is when i do crepes, pancakes and pretty much thats it. Sometimes i use non stick for eggs sometimes i use SS, based on which one is clean and/or not used for something else.

If you have never cooked with SS before, give yourself time to learn it. It is a very different experience from nonstick, but IMO it's worth it. Maybe get a 8 or 10" skillet for eggs.

What other dishes do you make? So i can explain those.

What are the benefits of using stainless steel cookware?

Stainless steel cookware is durable, easy to clean, and resistant to corrosion. It also has a non-reactive surface, meaning it won't interact with acidic foods, making it safe to use with a variety of ingredients. Additionally, stainless steel is a great heat conductor, ensuring even cooking and preventing hot spots.

What are the potential drawbacks of using stainless steel cookware?

Stainless steel cookware can be more expensive than other types of cookware. It also has a lower heat retention, meaning it may cool down more quickly than other materials. Additionally, stainless steel can be prone to discoloration and scratching, so it's important to use the appropriate utensils and cleaning methods.

What is the difference between tri-ply and encapsulated stainless steel cookware?

Tri-ply stainless steel cookware has layers of stainless steel, aluminum, and sometimes copper, bonded together to create a more even and efficient heat distribution. Encapsulated stainless steel cookware, on the other hand, has a layer of aluminum or copper only on the bottom of the pan, resulting in less heat distribution. Tri-ply is typically considered higher quality and more expensive than encapsulated stainless steel.

How do I properly care for my stainless steel cookware?

To ensure your stainless steel cookware lasts, it's important to wash it with warm, soapy water and a soft sponge after each use. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can scratch the surface. If food is stuck on, soak the pan in warm water before washing. Additionally, avoid using high heat or metal utensils when cooking with stainless steel.

Can stainless steel cookware go in the dishwasher?

While most stainless steel cookware is dishwasher safe, it's best to check the manufacturer's instructions before putting it in the dishwasher. Some types of stainless steel may be more prone to discoloration or damage in the dishwasher. Hand washing is typically recommended to prolong the life of your cookware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Poll
  • jessicafawn
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies
Views