• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing "Stained" Stoneware: Diane's Dilemma

In summary, Diane suggests trying a fine sandpaper and rubbing over it gently. Dawn also suggests soaking the stone in a baking soda paste to try to remove the stain. Diane also recommends trying a product adjustment for stones that come in slightly discolored.
dianevill
Gold Member
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with this one. I have a customer who called me last week with "stained" stoneware. She was using a snowman pot holder to take her round stone out of the oven, and where the material folded over on the top of the stone, it left a print of the snowman's face! I suggested soaking it in a baking soda paste, and that didn't work. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Diane

Have her try a fine sand paper and rub over it gently. Maybe there was some food residue on the stone that the pattern stuck to.

I read somewhere that you could put a stone in the self-cleaning cycle of your oven, but I have never done it, it kind of scares me. But they said that it would make your stone like new---so it would take all the seasoning off of it....not sure about this, but I did read it somewhere.

Did the sametingI also have a stained stone, I could do nothing about it to removed it but after using it a lot it kind of desaper. If it still under warrenty maybe call the HO and see if you can return it.

In response to putting it in the oven on self-clean - I have had customers who have done this and they say it does come out looking almost like new, however, that subject came up on this board some time ago, so someone asked HO, and they said definately NOT to do it. It may cause the stone to crack, and it would no longer be covered under the gaurantee. So, you shouldn't advise your customers to do it. I would just ignore the stain, and eventually it will fade. Also, the more you use your stone, the darker it will become, so even if the stain itself doesn't fade, it will become less noticeable over time. A girl in my cluster has a stone that, after taking it out of the oven, was too close to a loaf of bread, and the plastic bread wrapper melted onto her stone. You can see the logo from the wrapper, and although she scrubbed and scrubbed, nothing seemed to get it off. However, it does not affect the function of the stone, nor the taste of the food, so she just ignored it. It just doesn't look as nice!

Dawn Trudell
Independent Kitchen Consultant
Fort Wayne, IN

Thanks everyone!Fortunately she's not freaked out by the stain and she said it does look kind of cute, a little snowman peaking out from the side of the stone, so she's just going to keep cooking with it.

Regarding the self-cleaning, I've been told never to do that not because the stone could break, but because it could start a fire :eek: ! Any excess oil could ignite with temps that high.

Thanks again everyone!

Diane

I once used a cheap towel, that was printed green to dry my stone and it left a green mark on my stone, but eventually it went away with the seasoning. My Bar Pan is this wonderful dark brown color now and I LOVE IT!

I've had stones come in that were slightly discolored with a blue tinge and if the customers weren't happy with them I just do a product adjustment. I'm not sure what causes the discolorations(not sure if it's a natural part of the clay or process or whatever) but for any reason if the customer is dissatisfied HO will replace the item or refund their money.

1. How do I remove stains from my stoneware?

To remove stains from your stoneware, create a paste using equal parts baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the stained areas and let it sit for 30 minutes before scrubbing with a nylon brush. Rinse the stoneware thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth.

2. Can I use bleach to remove stains from stoneware?

No, bleach should not be used to clean stoneware as it can damage the glaze and leave a permanent white residue on the surface. Stick to gentle cleaning methods such as using baking soda or white vinegar.

3. What if the stains are really stubborn?

If the stains are not coming off with just baking soda and water, try using a stoneware cleaner specifically designed for removing tough stains. Follow the instructions on the cleaner and be sure to rinse and dry the stoneware thoroughly afterwards.

4. Can I use steel wool to remove stains from stoneware?

No, steel wool or any other abrasive materials should not be used on stoneware as they can scratch and damage the surface. Stick to non-abrasive scrubbers or brushes made specifically for cleaning stoneware.

5. How can I prevent stains from forming on my stoneware?

To prevent stains, it is important to properly season your stoneware before using it for the first time. This creates a natural non-stick surface that will make cleaning easier. Also, avoid using metal utensils on your stoneware as they can cause scratches and make the surface more prone to staining.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefKeender
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • koren
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies