• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Convincing Reasons to Love SS Colanders

In summary, the new SS colanders are not as popular with the expert as the bowls and lids with lids. The colanders are easy to wash, but the stainless steel colander is easier to clean. There are some concerns about the durability, but overall these are good colanders.
ChefPaulaB
So, just received my second shipment of samples which had the new SS Colanders... I'm just not sold on these. I love our other colanders with the bowls and lids... When I got them a couple years ago I got rid of my stainless one (not PC), and now they came out with these... Can someone sell me on these? Give me something good about why I need to use these instead of the old ones? I tried to do a search on them but the only comments that I could find were that they were hard to wash unless you put them in the dishwasher... I don't usually put things like that in the dishwasher, just wash by hand.... So, what makes them good? I want to love them since I felt the need to buy them (but of course, I always feel the need to buy everything!)(I'm a closet shop-a-holic, shhhh, don't tell my DH)

hmm i think they would look great with fruit in them! maybe a nice decoration on your kitchen countertop!

Well I thought they would be crap when I saw them but now that I have them and have used them, I am sold on them. With the wiring around them they are really sturdy and I thought clean up would suck but it has been easy breezy so far. I recomend them, there is nothing saying you don't have to use the old ones we still sell both ;o)

They are more "professional" looking then our plastic ones. Won't stain like our white ones. And they are easy to wash up, just run them under hot water when your done using them and wash as normal.

They're easy to wash... unless you're draining a post of just-boiled cheese-filled ravioli where a few of them split & the hot, stringy, melted cheese that was floating around the water turns back into firm cheese as soon as it hits the cold steel. That's pretty tough to clean out of the mesh! LOL Ask me how I know.... Thank goodness for baby bottle brushes & the dishwasher!

Pedey said:
They're easy to wash... unless you're draining a post of just-boiled cheese-filled ravioli where a few of them split & the hot, stringy, melted cheese that was floating around the water turns back into firm cheese as soon as it hits the cold steel. That's pretty tough to clean out of the mesh! LOL Ask me how I know.... Thank goodness for baby bottle brushes & the dishwasher!

Good to know! :D

The won't Change colors, like that pinkish redish color you get from the dishwasher!

Well, I've used them twice now... once for mac and cheese (used the small one) and put that one in the dishwasher, then used the medium one for ziti pasta and hand washed it. They were fine, I guess. I agree they are more professional looking, not sure I feel that they are super sturdy, feel kind of funny to me, maybe just need to get used to them. But I still like the bowls/colanders with lids better so far. Plus, I have no where to put them! Right now they are sitting on my kitchen counter. Figured I'd be more apt to use them there, but I have to put them away eventually, and there is literally no room. I hate to have to get rid of something! guess I might have to... Still not totally sold on them though....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the mesh colanders. I have always used a metal colander and was so very happy to see these come out.

Very Sturdy, self nesting, which I find to be a plus. I have a really hard time using plastic tools when I am cooking, even if it just for my family. I guess I've always been pampered and now being a consultant I am truly spoiled!

ChefGwendolyn said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the mesh colanders. I have always used a metal colander and was so very happy to see these come out.

Very Sturdy, self nesting, which I find to be a plus. I have a really hard time using plastic tools when I am cooking, even if it just for my family. I guess I've always been pampered and now being a consultant I am truly spoiled!

Okay, but why? Because you think it isn't professional enough or is it dangerous or just don't like the look or feel? Just curious...

I guess it is mainly because I feel that plastic tools are an inferior product. Of course I know that PC has the best quality, but it is something that I have always been aware of when I am cooking. For example, BPC (before PC) I've never purchased plastic tools, always bamboo tools for non-stick and stainless steel tools for my stainless cookware. You are right plastic to me doesn't have the quality or the professionalism of stainless, nor does it have the feel of the stainless.

I've had a lot of customers say that they would not by plastic colanders/bowls from PC, basically because if they wanted that they would go through Tupperware. So I never purchased them as an extended part of my kit. I know this is strange but as much as they say that then they turn around and order the collaspable bowls. I know strange.

Just my 2 cents worth!

ChefGwendolyn said:
I guess it is mainly because I feel that plastic tools are an inferior product. Of course I know that PC has the best quality, but it is something that I have always been aware of when I am cooking. For example, BPC (before PC) I've never purchased plastic tools, always bamboo tools for non-stick and stainless steel tools for my stainless cookware. You are right plastic to me doesn't have the quality or the professionalism of stainless, nor does it have the feel of the stainless.

I've had a lot of customers say that they would not by plastic colanders/bowls from PC, basically because if they wanted that they would go through Tupperware. So I never purchased them as an extended part of my kit. I know this is strange but as much as they say that then they turn around and order the collaspable bowls. I know strange.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Well, our collapsible bowls are much better than Tupperware, I have to say! As far as the rest, it makes sense... I guess that I just liked the colanders/bowls set because of the versatility, and they nestle and have the lids.... I like that you can put a colander inside of the bowl to let stuff soak and then pick back up and drain... just little things like that, and they were so much better functionally then my old SS colander (non PC), then drained better, with my other one I had to keep lifting it up get the water to drain down, where these had the space for the water to drain... But of course, our new SS mesh ones do that too, but they don't have the bowl function, but I think they will be good.... And I agree that SS is more professional, I just need to find somewhere to store them! MIght have to find some non-PC stuff to get rid of, or at least move to the store room. Thanks for your input & 2 cents!

I'm planning to use these as gift 'baskets' for Christmas. Fill with pasta, homemade sauce, bread, etc., and wrapped all together w/ cellophane. That way they have a nice gift even after the meal is gone.

pattikake said:
I'm planning to use these as gift 'baskets' for Christmas. Fill with pasta, homemade sauce, bread, etc., and wrapped all together w/ cellophane. That way they have a nice gift even after the meal is gone.

Excellent idea!!!!

pattikake said:

That does sound like a great gift idea... Are you going to use them separately to make 3 gifts or all together to make one really great gift?

That does sound like a great gift idea... Are you going to use them separately to make 3 gifts or all together to make one really great gift?
I'm planning on giving them as 3 separate gifts! The smaller ones for smaller families :)I plan to promote this idea at my shows as well.

I love that there's 3 in the set, just like the stainless mixing bowls (a total add-on item!), and I love the tiny one - I sometimes have to "short-order cook" for my kids, and only one likes spaghetti. I made a small pot of spaghetti the other night, and instead of having to use the giant colander, I used the little stainless one - perfect!! :) Plus, if I was steaming veggies, making pasta and rinsing fruit for dessert, I would have a strainer for each and wouldn't have to clean in-between.

I was harvesting a ton of stuff from the garden this evening, and mine look really pretty right now sitting on my table full of veggies. (I'll deal with them in the morning.:eek:)

The large one is full of a variety of tomatoes - red, orange, and yellow - and all different shapes.

The medium is full of green and yellow beans, along with chili peppers and white sweet bell peppers.

The small is full of zucchini, and summer squash.

What a pretty centerpiece!

Pedey said:
And THIS very reason, is why I highly recommend the 7" strainer from the professional tools!!! You just scoop out your "filled" pastas with this tool, and then they drain right there, and then you can gently "pour" the filled pastas into your pretty Dots bowl!!! No busting!!!

I won the SS Colanders at our monthly cluster meeting and I was thrilled. I only "had" plastic. I have recently taken on making my own tamales as I could not find any awesome ones in Ohio. (born and 1/2 raised in SanDiego). I have an xtra large stockpot and used the medium colander turned upside down and the large one right side up and I steamed 24 tamales at one time (it takes 2 hours to steam/cook them. Both the tamales and the colanders were amazing. You can also use them to cook/steam potatoes with out making them water logged like they would be if you boiled them.

I avoid using plastic with hot things or for longer storage (less concerned with quick measuring and such) both because I am apprehensive about the chemicals and because it holds on to flavors and stains.
I was happy to see that PC came out with these, although frankly, the lack of handles baffles me (what are you supposed to grab right after you pour out pasta in boiling hot water into it?!). On the other hand they are mesh as opposed to "regular" colanders with various size holes which means you have more effective draining surface. Also, you should be able to drain very small or thin items without losing them though the holes - think spaghetti and orzo .

Lindsay said:
I avoid using plastic with hot things or for longer storage (less concerned with quick measuring and such) both because I am apprehensive about the chemicals and because it holds on to flavors and stains.
I was happy to see that PC came out with these, although frankly, the lack of handles baffles me (what are you supposed to grab right after you pour out pasta in boiling hot water into it?!). On the other hand they are mesh as opposed to "regular" colanders with various size holes which means you have more effective draining surface. Also, you should be able to drain very small or thin items without losing them though the holes - think spaghetti and orzo .

That's a good point!

Lindsay said:

I sit mine in the sink. It has a raised bottom, so the water has room to drain from the bottom.

So, after reading the posts, I took a look at how I am storing the mesh colanders. At the moment, I have them nesting in the SS bowls. The small fits ok in the small bowl, the med fits better in the med bowl & the large in the large. The med colander & bowl would work great for soaking and straining in the same dishes.

1. What makes the SS Colanders from Pampered Chef better than other colanders on the market?

Our SS Colanders are made of high-quality stainless steel that is durable and rust-resistant. They also have a unique perforated design that allows for quick and efficient draining of water, making them more convenient to use than other colanders.

2. Can the SS Colanders be used for more than just straining pasta?

Absolutely! Our SS Colanders are versatile and can be used for straining all types of food, including fruits, vegetables, and even large quantities of grains or beans. They can also be used as a steamer basket or to rinse and drain salad greens.

3. Are the SS Colanders dishwasher safe?

Yes, our SS Colanders are dishwasher safe, making them easy to clean and maintain. They are also heat-resistant, so you can use them to strain hot foods without worrying about warping or damaging the colander.

4. Do the SS Colanders come in different sizes?

Yes, our SS Colanders come in a variety of sizes, including small, medium, and large. This allows you to choose the perfect size for your needs and ensures that you always have the right colander for the job.

5. How do the SS Colanders save time in the kitchen?

Our SS Colanders are designed to make food preparation and cooking more efficient. Their unique design allows for faster draining, saving you time when cooking pasta or other foods that require straining. They are also dishwasher safe, making clean-up a breeze.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RachelNguyen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • tabnat80
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefKrisB
  • BeckyC5830