• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

SS Bowls vs. Batter Bowls: Which One is Best for Your Cooking Needs?

In summary, it is safe to use metal utensils on stainless steel bowls, but this may cause some scratching on the surface. Stainless steel bowls are also recommended for beating egg whites and whipping cream, as chilling the bowl can aid in achieving the highest volume. However, it is important to avoid using stainless steel bowls with high-acidity foods, as this can alter the flavor and damage the bowl. While some have successfully microwaved stainless steel bowls, it is not recommended according to the Use and Care Card.
pcjulie
This may be a crazy question, but are there some things that should NOT be prepared in the SS Bowls? I know that when I marinate meat I am supposed to use a glass bowl, not metal. So, are there some ingredients that shouldn't be used in the metal bowls? :confused: Just curious!

Julie Myers
Independent Kitchen Consultant

SS Bowls are good for...I read in the PIG that stainless bowls are the best choice when beating egg whites or whipping cream. For whipping cream, place bowl in freezer until cold, then add cream & whip...the chill time will aid in yielding the highest whipping volume.

Is it okay to use metal utensils on the SS bowls- like for whipping cream? I thought for some reason that we weren't supposed to.

You can use metal...but know that this may "marr" the bowl. This would happen with ANY stainless steel bowl, and will not affect the product performance.

Sandy

Stainless BowlsThere are some things you need to be careful using stainless steel for! Beward of foods high in acid! Never store marinades with citrus juice in your bowls or tomato sauces. The acid reacts with the stainless steel and will change the flavor of the food. And it will also pit your stainless steel.

I of course will use the ss bowls to mix marinades etc. but I never store high-acidity foods in them.

And yes, you can use metal tools in the stainless steel bowls. Most people want to purchase these bowls to mix things such as cookies, cakes, breads etc. so they will want to use an electric mixer in them.

Hope this helps.
Independent Sales Director #328380
The Pampered Chef

Microwave and Stainless Steel BowlsI was at a show today and I was mixing some cream cheese in a stainless steel bowl. It was not quite at room temp so it was hard to mix, and the host offered to microwave it. I told her we'd just leave it sit for a little bit and I'd move on with the rest of the recipe. I used my batter bowl for another recipe and didn't have any other bowls. She said I could just microwave it in the stainless steel bowl. What? She said it's fine to microwave a stainless steel bowl, just not aluminum or other alloys. I obviously was very skeptical, but she said she'd buy me a new bowl if mine got wrecked, and wasn't concerned about her microwave. So I told her to go for it, and sure enough, it worked fine! I have never heard of this before (for those of you that got the bowls when they first came out, remember the use and care cards said they were microwave safe - I assumed it was just a mistake, wasn't it?, and then they re-sent the cards with that removed).

I would never recommend nuking these bowls, but have any of you ever heard of this? I tried to do a google search to see if there was any proof that this practice was safe, but couldn't find anything.

Diane

P.S. Again, I'm not recommending it, just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this.

Last edited:
dianevill said:
I was at a show today and I was mixing some cream cheese in a stainless steel bowl. It was not quite at room temp so it was hard to mix, and the host offered to microwave it. I told her we'd just leave it sit for a little bit and I'd move on with the rest of the recipe. I used my batter bowl for another recipe and didn't have any other bowls. She said I could just microwave it in the stainless steel bowl. What? She said it's fine to microwave a stainless steel bowl, just not aluminum or other alloys. I obviously was very skeptical, but she said she'd buy me a new bowl if mine got wrecked, and wasn't concerned about her microwave. So I told her to go for it, and sure enough, it worked fine! I have never heard of this before (for those of you that got the bowls when they first came out, remember the use and care cards said they were microwave safe - I assumed it was just a mistake, wasn't it?)

I would never recommend nuking these bowls, but have any of you ever heard of this? I tried to do a google search to see if there was any proof that this practice was safe, but couldn't find anything.

Diane

I would opt to put the cream cheese in a glass-like cereal bowl before doing that. Is it in the PIG specs now?

Use and Care CardUnder "Safeguards"
* Do not use in microwave, brolier, or on direct heat souce.

I'm glad it worked once, but I don't think I'd try it.

Sandy

dianevill said:
I was at a show today and I was mixing some cream cheese in a stainless steel bowl. It was not quite at room temp so it was hard to mix, and the host offered to microwave it. I told her we'd just leave it sit for a little bit and I'd move on with the rest of the recipe. I used my batter bowl for another recipe and didn't have any other bowls. She said I could just microwave it in the stainless steel bowl. What? She said it's fine to microwave a stainless steel bowl, just not aluminum or other alloys. I obviously was very skeptical, but she said she'd buy me a new bowl if mine got wrecked, and wasn't concerned about her microwave. So I told her to go for it, and sure enough, it worked fine! I have never heard of this before (for those of you that got the bowls when they first came out, remember the use and care cards said they were microwave safe - I assumed it was just a mistake, wasn't it?, and then they re-sent the cards with that removed).

Diane

P.S. Again, I'm not recommending it, just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this.

My microwave has a metal rack and was wondering why it could be microwaved while other metals couldn't. Maybe it is true that stainless steel can be microwaved. I have had metal spark in my microwave before, and didn't think any metal could be microwaved, until I got this new microwave with the rack.

What on earth is the PIG? Really struggling with that one, lol. I know, it's probably something obvious? I'm thinking maybe a Product Instruction Guide??

4kids4me said:
What on earth is the PIG? Really struggling with that one, lol. I know, it's probably something obvious? I'm thinking maybe a Product Instruction Guide??
Product Information Guide

My microwave has a metal rack and was wondering why it could be microwaved while other metals couldn't. Maybe it is true that stainless steel can be microwaved. I have had metal spark in my microwave before, and didn't think any metal could be microwaved, until I got this new microwave with the rack.
It has to do with the type of metal and the amount of metal/size of microwave. I also think that newer microwaves will handle a little metal, unlike the older models.

To be on the safe side, I would NEVER put a SS bowl in the microwave. I know we are covered by insurance, but I'd feel horrible if I ruined a host's microwave.

I have to say for uses such as softening cream cheese I LOVE using the Easy Reads! It proves to everyone just how great and versatile those little things are! I always sells at least 1 set when I microwave or mix something in them!

GourmetGirl said:
I have to say for uses such as softening cream cheese I LOVE using the Easy Reads! It proves to everyone just how great and versatile those little things are! I always sells at least 1 set when I microwave or mix something in them!

I forget about those! I usually end up softening small amounts in the prep bowls or larger amounts in the batter bowls!

I never bring my batter bowls to shows anymore.....they are so darn heavy! I bring the prep bowls, and that sells the whole family of batter bowls. I use the Easy Reads for microwaving stuff, and the SS bowls for mixing.....my kit is so much lighter w/o those batter bowls!

1. What is the difference between Ss bowls and batter bowls?

Ss bowls, or stainless steel bowls, are made of a durable and non-reactive material that is great for mixing and storing ingredients. Batter bowls, on the other hand, are specifically designed for mixing and pouring batter, with a spout and handle for easy pouring.

2. Can I use an Ss bowl as a batter bowl?

Technically, yes, you can use an Ss bowl as a batter bowl. However, the lack of a spout and handle may make it more difficult to pour the batter accurately into a pan.

3. Which bowl is better for making bread dough?

Ss bowls are great for making bread dough, as the stainless steel material helps to keep the dough at a consistent temperature. However, some bakers prefer using a batter bowl for the spout and handle that make it easier to pour the dough onto a baking sheet.

4. Are both Ss bowls and batter bowls dishwasher safe?

Yes, both Ss bowls and batter bowls are generally safe to put in the dishwasher. However, it is always best to check the specific care instructions for your particular bowls.

5. Can I use an Ss bowl for hot or acidic ingredients?

Yes, Ss bowls are safe to use with hot or acidic ingredients. The stainless steel material is non-reactive and will not affect the taste or quality of your food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
abaker1
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
Replies
Views
raebates