1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Square Card Reader (for cash & carry)

1. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

Is anyone using this system (or any other) for selling cash and carry items at booths/fairs? I'm probably going to be investing but looking for the thoughts of those with experience.

I have a booth at our local youth fair (BIG event) and after 15 years as a consultant have accumulated just a couple of extra things. :eek: I won't take checks at the fair (unless it is a known past host/good customer) and not everyone has cash. I believe this is the way to go but don't have any experience with it.

This is NOT for current product sales!

Aug 5, 2016
    Cheryl06 likes this.
  2. byrd1956

byrd1956 Senior Member Gold Member

I have taken checks at the local Farmer's Market, but usually just cash. I really did not want to get into using another device. I have also had people pay with PayPal.

Aug 5, 2016
    chefjeanine likes this.
  3. thov99

thov99

I have a square reader for vendor events and I love it! The money is deposited in my account quickly. They are switching over from the swiped to the chip reader, tho. The fee is like 2% per swipe, totally worth it!

Aug 9, 2016
    chefjeanine likes this.
  4. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

I was a little concerned about that BUT I know many of stores don't yet accept the chip cards so the cards must still able to be swiped to be read. That should save me about $39 (initial cost of reader).

Aug 9, 2016
  5. I have used a square card reader for some times, years in fact, as i do several huge events, and checks are not a good option. Works great, money gets to my account quickly, and easy to use. All in all, I love it. Plus, people will purchase more when using a card.

chefjeanine likes this.
  6. scottcooks

scottcooks Veteran Member Gold Member

Does the PC reader work with the SQUARE software?

Aug 24, 2016
  7. thov99

thov99

I haven't tried it, but I doubt it. The swiper from square is free, or at least it was when I got mine.

Aug 30, 2016
    chefjeanine likes this.
Have something to add?