• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximize Your Spring Launch Experience: Tips and Tricks for a Successful Trip

In summary, Rae recommends bringing a snack, a water bottle, and business cards. She also recommends bringing an umbrella and sticky name tags.
raebates
Staff member
Yes, I'm a hints/tips junkie. LOL! I've been working on my packing list for Spring Launch since I'll be heading to Columbus, OH the day before. It occurred to me that when I've gone before people have said, "I wish I'd thought of that," about some of the things I do. So, here are some ideas/reminders:

We'll be getting mini-catalogs. I take along some mini-catalog labels so I'll be ready to share those with anyone I might encounter on my way home.

Last year they had a good booklet for taking notes, but I still like to take along a small notebook. It gives me more room if I need it.

Sometimes other consultants ask for a business card so they can follow up with you. Make sure you have a good stack of them with you.

I take a snack. Yes, lunch is provided, but I'm diabetic and a picky eater. If I don't care for what they're serving (or it doesn't meet my nutritional requirements), I want to make sure that I have something healthy to keep me satisfied until dinner.

So, those are the things that came to my mind. Anyone else have any ideas to share?

Thanks for the tips Rae! This will be my first Spring launch. I'll be sure to bring labels and business cards and a notepad. Should I bring a laptop and what size purse/bag should I bring? I was thinking of just bringing my catalogue tote.

Should we get there at 7:30am even though the meeting doesn't start early? How friendly and approachable are the HO people? Any tips on approaching HO or other TPC leaders?

Great tips. This is my first launch too. I'm hoping I'll have my new sling by launch time so I can put the minis in it. I would suggest a water bottle. Hopefully we can take them into the conference room.

I don't do well in large crowds when I'm somewhere I've never been before. How many people are expected at the launch? Will it be super crowded or large enough for everyone to have some personal space?

Last year at our location they had two long rows of tables to sit at filling the whole room. You had a little personal space. A water bottle and snacks are a good idea. They did have water provided but I drink a lot of water so the little cups they provide are not enough for me. I also eat every 2-3 hours so I need plently of snacks to keep me going.

Since it is cold in my neck of the woods I'll be bringing a light sweater. Don't want to sit all day with my winter coat on in case the room is a bit chilly.

Thanks for the tips! It is a great reminder. Although I went last year, I may have forgotten about bringing a snack (which I will definitely need!!!)

OH! and don't forget your Chef Success Button :)

The convention center is rather large :) You may want to call ahead and see which parking garage is closest to hwere we are meeting.

Also- if you are coming the night before, I highly recommend spending some time at the Easton Towns Center. It's only 15 min from the convention center.

Thanks for the tips! This will be my first SL. Just signed a few weeks ago! See y'all in Columbus!!

And please don't forget to smile at those you don't know! :)I know lots of people go with their clusters, but try to still be approachable and friendly to the "outsiders" of your group. ;) When I went to National Conference, I kept hearing about how it's a great time to network and meet new people, etc, but when I was there I found a lot of people were NOT approachable. Some people made me feel like I had a 3rd eye or something when I'd say hi and introduce myself.

Don't forget your umbrella!

I'm bringing a stack of notecards, they're easier for me to take notes on than the booklet they give.

If you're driving a long way, or even flying, keep your gas/airline receipts!! They're tax deductible!

Definately make new friends and hand out business cards. I couldn't tell you how many business cards I have from other consultants, dont forget to write on the back "who" they are. (For example "the lady in the red shirt that shared with me how she gets bookings...")

Bring a water bottle. Most places provide pitchers and glasses but if you're thirsty, those pitchers run out fast!

Tip: I learned this the hard way, don't take off that sticky name tag you get and put in on your catalog tote front. I did this at the end of Director Express because I was in a hurry and now I can't take the sticky label off!!

Definitely a sweater- because you just never know.Bring a reusable bottle with a lid for your drink. At our location last year (Raleigh), I thought the tables were WAY too close together (half the room was empty at the back, too!! They could have easily moved the tables apart an extra foot. ). So when folks were moving down the rows to get out, sometimes you had someone's bum or purse/tote go across your table. I saw several drinks take a spill, and had to move mine a few times too. (Not picking on anyone here- my bum was one of them that had to squeeze to avoid collision! ;) )I second what Shelby said- DON'T stick anything on your tote. I made that mistake too. But not sure if it was from SL or NC, but eventually I scraped it off.Know where the bathroom is ahead of time, so that when break time comes, you can move fast and not be stuck waiting in a long line. :) Although, it wasn't as big a deal at SL as it would be say at National Conference, but each location is different.

ShelbyMichalek said:
I'm bringing a stack of notecards, they're easier for me to take notes on than the booklet they give.

If you're driving a long way, or even flying, keep your gas/airline receipts!! They're tax deductible!

Definately make new friends and hand out business cards. I couldn't tell you how many business cards I have from other consultants, dont forget to write on the back "who" they are. (For example "the lady in the red shirt that shared with me how she gets bookings...")

Bring a water bottle. Most places provide pitchers and glasses but if you're thirsty, those pitchers run out fast!

Tip: I learned this the hard way, don't take off that sticky name tag you get and put in on your catalog tote front. I did this at the end of Director Express because I was in a hurry and now I can't take the sticky label off!!
Try some WD-40, DH swears by it every time to get sticky stuff off!

I'd recommend making sure you have a list of your contacts, or the numbers of some of them in your phone. Last year over lunch they did a booking blitz and you got an entry into a drawing for each show you booked during that time period! I only had a few people I could call, but my team leader had her laptop, pulled open P3 and started calling away! I'll be more prepared this time, just in case!

Olive oil will also work to get most labels off plastic. I'll be carrying my new Mini Sling Bag as a purse and carrying my catalog tote with my meeting stuff (notebook, snacks, and such).

Rae thank you for the reminder! I went last year and goofed. I too am diabetic and forgot to bring munchies! I got such a headache by about 10 a.m it was not funny! If I had not eaten breakfast at 5:30 a.m. it probably would not have been a problem. Thank you for the reminder! And yes, a sweater is a must. We were in IL last year. I sat near the back. The temperature kept going up and down. It is hard to concentrate when you are shaking! Oh and a reminder from me - if you bring a laptop remember that it will be on for almost 7 hours. We run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a one hour break. Do not expect to be able to plug it in. Sometimes the seating is not configured for wall hugging. Bring extra batteries and make sure you know how to change them.

One thought - this year we'll be staying in a suite. We're planning to take along breakfast and eat in the room. This will save us time and money. If you're staying over, your hotel might serve free breakfast. If not, you might consider bringing your own.

Big tip in light of other recent posts/threads = if you already KNOW something, keep your lips sealed until it's shown on the big screen!

This is a training event. Every time I attend a training event I take along 4 x 6 cards (though, 3 x 5 will work). I label these "Wow! Do It NOW!" "Great idea! Do it soon," and "Think about this." The first card is for things that are great and can be implemented with little or no advance work. The second is for things that will require a little more work to implement or will need to be tweaked to work for me. The third is for things I want to mull over and maybe discuss with someone else to determine if it will work for my business.Now, here's the key: Keep these accessible and review them frequently after returning from Spring Launch. It doesn't matter how great the idea. If it's not implemented, the information is useless.

raebates said:
This is a training event. Every time I attend a training event I take along 4 x 6 cards (though, 3 x 5 will work). I label these "Wow! Do It NOW!" "Great idea! Do it soon," and "Think about this." The first card is for things that are great and can be implemented with little or no advance work. The second is for things that will require a little more work to implement or will need to be tweaked to work for me. The third is for things I want to mull over and maybe discuss with someone else to determine if it will work for my business.

Now, here's the key: Keep these accessible and review them frequently after returning from Spring Launch. It doesn't matter how great the idea. If it's not implemented, the information is useless.

LOVE this idea Rae...gonna implement it with my new team!

raebates said:
Yes, lunch is provided, but I'm diabetic and a picky eater. If I don't care for what they're serving (or it doesn't meet my nutritional requirements), I want to make sure that I have something healthy to keep me satisfied until dinner.

So, those are the things that came to my mind. Anyone else have any ideas to share?

I thought the 'box lunch' was horrible last year so I for sure will pack something to munch on. I hated the boxed lunch at Conference 2yrs ago and this one was just as aweful (IMO). If you like cold cut sandwiches on a roll that are dry and had lettuce/tomato sitting on them making the roll wet - you're good! I'd be better off with PB&J and that may just be what I take along! :)

Melissa78 said:
I thought the 'box lunch' was horrible last year so I for sure will pack something to munch on. I hated the boxed lunch at Conference 2yrs ago and this one was just as aweful (IMO). If you like cold cut sandwiches on a roll that are dry and had lettuce/tomato sitting on them making the roll wet - you're good! I'd be better off with PB&J and that may just be what I take along! :)

Our box lunch last year was excellent! We were all very impressed. I think that has everything to do with the venue and what they provide for the price.

This year, because we are now eating Gluten-free, I requested a GF lunch...lets hope it's edible! I will also be bringing some food with me, just in case!

raebates said:
This is a training event. Every time I attend a training event I take along 4 x 6 cards (though, 3 x 5 will work). I label these "Wow! Do It NOW!" "Great idea! Do it soon," and "Think about this." The first card is for things that are great and can be implemented with little or no advance work. The second is for things that will require a little more work to implement or will need to be tweaked to work for me. The third is for things I want to mull over and maybe discuss with someone else to determine if it will work for my business.

Now, here's the key: Keep these accessible and review them frequently after returning from Spring Launch. It doesn't matter how great the idea. If it's not implemented, the information is useless.

I love this idea! I'm making goodie bags for my consultants going with me and I'll put this in there too. thanks Rae!

I always order the vegetarian option. Last year, in Phoenix, my sandwich was the envy of the bunch! No, I am not a vegetarian, but like to eat light for lunch and bring on the meat for dinner!And, at National Conference, while there was a line for the food, I could just walk over to the vegetarian area. There were things out that were awesome and not on the other tables. They gave us the option of eating the vegetarian table or the full line...I did a little of both! No lines!

ChefBeckyD said:
Our box lunch last year was excellent! We were all very impressed. I think that has everything to do with the venue and what they provide for the price.

This year, because we are now eating Gluten-free, I requested a GF lunch...lets hope it's edible! I will also be bringing some food with me, just in case!

The gluten free lunch last year looked fantastic and now that you mention it, I wish I had requested it for this year! If I remember correctly it was a beautiful salad with grilled chicken.

I'm dieting and I'm pretty sure Friday is going to be my cheat day this week, so I'll be taking my own snacks and lunch anyway!

I ordered the gluten free and always do, even though I do not need to. I also like to eat lighter and have never been disappointed with that option.

If registeration begins at 7:30, but the meeting doesn't begin until 9, do they have coffee or anything there at the beginning?

Do they sell merchandise or logo items there? I was just wondring so I knew how much money to take with me for the weekend.

pctharper said:
If registeration begins at 7:30, but the meeting doesn't begin until 9, do they have coffee or anything there at the beginning?

Do they sell merchandise or logo items there? I was just wondring so I knew how much money to take with me for the weekend.

If I remember right, there was coffee and water set out through the whole day.

There weren't vendors or anything else there to look at or shop at. Just time to get in, get your stuff, get a seat, and visit with others.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

pctharper said:

As far as coffee and such that would depend on your location. There was nothing extra to buy last year.

otisbg said:
I ordered the gluten free and always do, even though I do not need to. I also like to eat lighter and have never been disappointed with that option.
Me too, it usually has a good protein option without all the carbs.

raebates said:

I am so glad you mentioned this I just heard this training a couple weeks ago and think it is great!
I am sad I dont have my button yet :(

raebates said:

GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks!

Glad so many are excited about the index card idea. I got that from Julie Anne Jones when she spoke at a regional meeting several years ago. I do this whenever I go to a training event.

One last bit of advice for those who, like me, are traveling a ways to Spring Launch. Pack extras. Anything can happen. I'm packing right now (eriously, I took a break from packing to write this post) for an overnight stay. Still, I've included an extra pair of underwear, meds for an extra day, and a few extra (healthy) snacks in case something happens to delay my return home. I know that traveling the 4 hours from my home in Indiana to and from the event location in Ohio could be interrupted by weather, but car trouble and other contingencies can happen even in the sunny southwest. Don't pack for a week, but make sure you've got an extra change of underwear and enough essentials for an extra day or so.

Adding extra underwear now... Thanks Rae! LOL I'm not used to overnight trips so I originally packed one thing to wear to Launch and jammies for tomorrow night plus toiletries. Thinking again! And hey, see ya in Columbus !

HEading to Columbus too and I appreciate all the little tips on here. Def going to pack some extras. Great idea. I am also dieting on WW. SO wish I would have ordered the GF or Veg diet. I am going to pack some light snacks too. I love those little 110 calorie almond packs and those have a lot ofprotein too. MY sugar drops sometimes if I do not get enough protein in the morning.

I can't hardly wait to go!!! My team i s leaving at 4:30 Fri afternoon. We are form the Canton, Oh area. We are sharing a few rooms. IT will be a nice getaway form the kids for a day and after the crazy ice we had here this week, I am looking forward to it.

SO you all there! :)

ShelbyMichalek said:

I don't know if someone said it or not yet, but goo gone should help with the sticky residue.

raebates said:
One last bit of advice for those who, like me, are traveling a ways to Spring Launch. Pack extras.

Anything can happen. I'm packing right now (eriously, I took a break from packing to write this post) for an overnight stay. Still, I've included an extra pair of underwear, meds for an extra day, and a few extra (healthy) snacks in case something happens to delay my return home. I know that traveling the 4 hours from my home in Indiana to and from the event location in Ohio could be interrupted by weather, but car trouble and other contingencies can happen even in the sunny southwest.

Don't pack for a week, but make sure you've got an extra change of underwear and enough essentials for an extra day or so.

Defiently agree! We're coming from PA and its also a 4-5 hr drive for us. Our weather is saying that we are in for another storm. A smaller storm, but still snow and ice coming in from Ohio on Saturday so travel could be tricky for us Saturday night.

Thanks for all the tips. I am headed to Charlotte in the morning for my first Spring Launch and I am super excited!

raebates said:
make sure you've got an extra change of underwear.

I'm only about an hour and half from Baltimore Launch but I'm so freaking excited I might need that extra pair in case I wet my pants from all the excitement!

About the water bottle. I liked the idea last year when I saw several people with the martini shakers as water bottles. They are insulated, so water stays cold AND doesn't have condensation on the table from a glass!

RCKmom said:
Thanks for all the tips. I am headed to Charlotte in the morning for my first Spring Launch and I am super excited!

Hey Stephanie!!!! Nice to see a "sister" consultant here on CS. I'm Brenda Haywood, from Sheila's team. I moved back home to MA in August. I miss going to Jennifer's meetings :(. Have fun in Charlotte. I will be in Hartford, CT.

One more tip: Don't forget to bring your booking lead contact information with you. Last year they did a booking blitz during the lunch break!

raebates said:

JUST printed these out on labels! (I am way to organized... I'd prefer to type my notes but I will hand write them at Feast and then type them out later!) I love this idea and will be using it at Feast and I am going to take a couple extra in case someone else wants to use it as well. See you on Saturday Rae!! SO EXCITED!!!

1. What are some tips and tricks for a successful trip to Spring Launch?

Some tips and tricks for a successful trip to Spring Launch include taking along mini-catalog labels to share with others, bringing a small notebook for note-taking, having business cards on hand for networking, and packing a snack in case the provided lunch does not meet dietary needs.

2. Will we be receiving mini-catalogs at Spring Launch?

Yes, mini-catalogs will be provided at Spring Launch.

3. Is there a booklet for taking notes at Spring Launch?

Yes, there is usually a booklet provided for note-taking, but it's always a good idea to bring a small notebook as well for extra space.

4. Do I need to bring business cards to Spring Launch?

It's always a good idea to bring business cards to Spring Launch in case you meet other consultants who want to follow up with you after the event.

5. Is lunch provided at Spring Launch?

Yes, lunch is typically provided at Spring Launch, but it's always a good idea to pack a snack in case the provided lunch does not meet your dietary needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies