1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Speaking of turkeys!

1. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

I saw something today in the city of Milwaukee that I have never seen even in the country where I used to live. Not one or two, but 6 wild turkeys! I had a show today at my mom's. I went to pick up a friend who lives on the northwest side of Milwaukee just west, 27th street actually, of Glendale. Totally city living! I pulled up and just as I was about to call her, she came running out of the house with a camera, yelling at me that there were 6! I could not see what the heck she was talking about so I got out of the car and low and behold, walking politely across the lawns of her neighbors across the street were 6 wild turkeys! I have never seen one! I certainly can not imagine eating one of those for Thanksgiving dinner though. They looked much sleeker and skinnier than a "table" bird! Plus they were probably able to fly! They can fly right?

Nov 6, 2011
  2. carlajanes

carlajanes Member Gold Member

:D
    until i was a teenager i had never tasted a domesticated turkey! my parents shot one every year and that's what we had at Thanksgiving :) yes, they can kind of fly....mainly just high enough to roost in a tree.
    every year we were told not to eat the little black specks in the turkey....always thought it was peppercorns they were talking about till i got older and realized it was buckshot...lololol
    so glad you got to see them...i think they are pretty cool :)

Nov 6, 2011
  3. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

Are you kiddin'? I used to see Wild Turkey all over Milwaukee, especially in The Old Man's house.

[​IMG]

4. Telynn

Telynn Member

ROFLMAO! That's too funny The Kitchen Guy!

Nov 7, 2011
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

A farm-raised-for-food turkey and a wild turkey bear very little resemblance. Food turkeys are bread to have more meat, especially white meat. Neither bears any resemblance to the Wild Turkey KG referenced.

You have no idea how many tries it took me to write that without using the phrase "bigger breasts." LOL!

Nov 7, 2011
  6. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

We have a turkey that lives in a field, right off Main Street, which goes through downtown. I've seen it a couple of times while driving home, but apparently it hangs out in the area daily. Someone said it chased a police cruiser a few weeks ago.

Nov 7, 2011
  7. The_Kitchen_Guy

Big juicy ones, right?

1 person likes this.
  8. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

Darn...a video of that could have been quite funny!

Nov 7, 2011
  9. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I know! DS gets a kick out of seeing it (when he can, sometimes it's on the other side of the car) on the way home.

Nov 7, 2011
  10. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

When I was married to my ex and living in the country, he bought a dozen turkey ~ mail order! They came all crunched in a box with holes. I couldn't believe that you could actually get live animals (or turkeys in this instance) through the mail!

Once they were big, they each became a holiday meal for someone! We ate a couple & sold off the rest. But raising them sure was interesting. I'd never done that before. And yes ... they can fly high enough to roost. We had to build a pen with a wire roof to keep them together so they wouldn't wander/fly off.

Nov 7, 2011
  11. pampered1224

However I think KGs would be fun!! Then you would not care what kind of turkey it was! All though, the overstuffed hangover is a killer!

12. minirottie

minirottie Advanced Member

This thread is making me laugh...I live in midtown Omaha and there is a gaggle (is that what they're called?) that live around here...randomly causing traffic issues, etc.

Nov 8, 2011
  13. The_Kitchen_Guy

A rafter of turkeys.

(In your case, maybe they're a mutual of Omaha?)

A team of ducks.

A gaggle of geese.

A flock of chickens.

And for reasons I will never understand:

A murder of crow.

A wake of buzzards.

14. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

A wake (gathering around the dead) of buzzards makes sense to me.

I wonder if a murder of crows comes from the idea that crows take or are dead people's souls has anything to do with that.

Nov 9, 2011
  15. pampered1224

Rae that makes sense as even Edgar Allen Poe made it a character in a book. "When the crow stays here, murder is near" is a line from some other authors story as well.

Nov 11, 2011
  16. The_Kitchen_Guy

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."

(Hint: Click on the word to see the best version of Poe's The Raven that's out there.)

17. minirottie

minirottie Advanced Member

Might be :) Maybe Warren Buffett is hanging with them too, since he lives right down the street also!

Nov 12, 2011
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted