• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Wild Turkeys the New Urban Dwellers of Milwaukee?

In summary, six wild turkeys were seen crossing the lawns of a neighbor in Milwaukee today. I have never seen one of these birds in the country where I used to live, and they looked much sleeker and skinnier than a "table" bird. I'm not sure what they would be good for for Thanksgiving dinner, but they sure are an interesting sight.
pampered1224
Silver Member
I saw something today in the city of Milwaukee that I have never seen even in the country where I used to live. Not one or two, but 6 wild turkeys! I had a show today at my mom's. I went to pick up a friend who lives on the northwest side of Milwaukee just west, 27th street actually, of Glendale. Totally city living! I pulled up and just as I was about to call her, she came running out of the house with a camera, yelling at me that there were 6! I could not see what the heck she was talking about so I got out of the car and low and behold, walking politely across the lawns of her neighbors across the street were 6 wild turkeys! I have never seen one! I certainly can not imagine eating one of those for Thanksgiving dinner though. They looked much sleeker and skinnier than a "table" bird! Plus they were probably able to fly! They can fly right?

:D
until i was a teenager i had never tasted a domesticated turkey! my parents shot one every year and that's what we had at Thanksgiving :) yes, they can kind of fly....mainly just high enough to roost in a tree.
every year we were told not to eat the little black specks in the turkey....always thought it was peppercorns they were talking about till i got older and realized it was buckshot...lololol
so glad you got to see them...i think they are pretty cool :)

Are you kiddin'? I used to see Wild Turkey all over Milwaukee, especially in The Old Man's house.

199px-WildTurkeyBottle_no1.jpg

ROFLMAO! That's too funny The Kitchen Guy!

A farm-raised-for-food turkey and a wild turkey bear very little resemblance. Food turkeys are bread to have more meat, especially white meat. Neither bears any resemblance to the Wild Turkey KG referenced.

You have no idea how many tries it took me to write that without using the phrase "bigger breasts." LOL!

We have a turkey that lives in a field, right off Main Street, which goes through downtown. I've seen it a couple of times while driving home, but apparently it hangs out in the area daily. Someone said it chased a police cruiser a few weeks ago.

raebates said:
A farm-raised-for-food turkey and a wild turkey bear very little resemblance. Food turkeys are bread to have more meat, especially white meat. Neither bears any resemblance to the Wild Turkey KG referenced.

You have no idea how many tries it took me to write that without using the phrase "bigger breasts." LOL!

Big juicy ones, right?

NooraK said:
We have a turkey that lives in a field, right off Main Street, which goes through downtown. I've seen it a couple of times while driving home, but apparently it hangs out in the area daily. Someone said it chased a police cruiser a few weeks ago.

Darn...a video of that could have been quite funny!

esavvymom said:
Darn...a video of that could have been quite funny!

I know! DS gets a kick out of seeing it (when he can, sometimes it's on the other side of the car) on the way home.

When I was married to my ex and living in the country, he bought a dozen turkey ~ mail order! They came all crunched in a box with holes. I couldn't believe that you could actually get live animals (or turkeys in this instance) through the mail!Once they were big, they each became a holiday meal for someone! We ate a couple & sold off the rest. But raising them sure was interesting. I'd never done that before. And yes ... they can fly high enough to roost. We had to build a pen with a wire roof to keep them together so they wouldn't wander/fly off.

However I think KGs would be fun!! Then you would not care what kind of turkey it was! All though, the overstuffed hangover is a killer!

This thread is making me laugh...I live in midtown Omaha and there is a gaggle (is that what they're called?) that live around here...randomly causing traffic issues, etc.

A rafter of turkeys.(In your case, maybe they're a mutual of Omaha?)A team of ducks.A gaggle of geese.A flock of chickens.And for reasons I will never understand:A murder of crow.A wake of buzzards.

A wake (gathering around the dead) of buzzards makes sense to me. I wonder if a murder of crows comes from the idea that crows take or are dead people's souls has anything to do with that.

Rae that makes sense as even Edgar Allen Poe made it a character in a book. "When the crow stays here, murder is near" is a line from some other authors story as well.

Quoth the raven, "http://siili.buzznet.com/user/video/46250/simpsons-raven/."(Hint: Click on the word to see the best version of Poe's The Raven that's out there.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
A rafter of turkeys.

(In your case, maybe they're a mutual of Omaha?)

Might be :) Maybe Warren Buffett is hanging with them too, since he lives right down the street also!

1. How did you come across the wild turkeys in the city?

I was out for a walk in my neighborhood when I saw a group of wild turkeys crossing the street in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes and had to stop and take a closer look.

2. Are wild turkeys common in urban areas?

No, it is not common to see wild turkeys in urban areas. They are typically found in more rural or suburban areas, but it is not unheard of for them to wander into cities.

3. Did you feel safe being so close to the turkeys?

Yes, I felt safe as the turkeys were minding their own business and seemed used to being around people. I made sure to keep a safe distance and not disturb them.

4. How did the turkeys react to your presence?

The turkeys were mostly unfazed by my presence. They continued to calmly walk around and peck at the ground for food. One of them even spread its feathers out as if to show off.

5. Did you learn anything interesting about wild turkeys during your experience?

Yes, I learned that wild turkeys are actually very intelligent and social animals. They communicate with each other using a variety of sounds and can even recognize individual turkeys by their unique calls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies