• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring After Hours in Chicago

skip...and jump" tour. It was really fun and we saw a lot! If you're looking for something to do on Saturday night, the Navy Pier fireworks show is always worth checking out. If you're looking for something to do on Saturday night, the Navy Pier fireworks show is always worth checking out.
Chef Bobby
Gold Member
What are your plans for after hours each day?
We stayed busy last year by seeing "Wicked" the play. It was great! The last night we saw a musical comedy play about Chicago during the gangster days. That place is walking distance from the Chicago hilton.
We went to the top of a 94 story building. Forgot the name of it. Like looking out the window of an airplane. We walked through the park across Michigan Ave and stuck our toes into Lake Michigan. We walked downtown Michigan Ave with about a million other tourist. When the shopping started, I took the bus back.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time....

I will be rooming with 3 directors from my cluster. I am not a director so I think I will be doing some things on my own - alone. Boo Hoo! I heard the best Chicago Pizza is on Michigan Ave. Anyone know about the pizza?

The best two pizza places in Chicago are Gino's East and Lou Malnati's ... neither are on Michigan, though...

I encourage you to go to Harry Caray's for dinner, if you get a chance... GREAT food! :)

If you're tired you can always stay in the room, order Chicago style pizza to be delivered, and watch an in-room movie in your jammies.

Chef Bobby said:
What are your plans for after hours each day?
We stayed busy last year by seeing "Wicked" the play. It was great! The last night we saw a musical comedy play about Chicago during the gangster days. That place is walking distance from the Chicago hilton.
We went to the top of a 94 story building. Forgot the name of it. Like looking out the window of an airplane. We walked through the park across Michigan Ave and stuck our toes into Lake Michigan. We walked downtown Michigan Ave with about a million other tourist. When the shopping started, I took the bus back.

If you do remember the name of the theater, please share! Thanks!

raebates said:
If you're tired you can always stay in the room, order Chicago style pizza to be delivered, and watch an in-room movie in your jammies.

That is when pizza tastes the best! :D

The building Chef Bobby referred to is the Hancock Building. They have a fancy and expensive restaurant on the 95th floor, but they also have a bar one floor above with the same gorgeous views. I reccommend going there for a drink or dessert at sunset. It is just spectacular.

Jersey Boys, which is about Frankie Valli, is playing if you want to go to the theater. I have heard it's really good.

If you are from a smaller town, I also recommend just walking down Michigan Avenue in the evening, and stopping where you please. We really make the most of the warm weather, so the streets are hopping even after the work/shopping day is over. You'd start with the lake/Millenium Park on your right.

If you do want to crash in your room, definitely order Ginos East or Lou Malnatis, and/or go to Garrett Popcorn and order a bag of mixed cheese/caramel/butter popcorn.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the great tips Susan! Looking forward to soaking in Chicago. = )

If anyone is staying over in Wave 3 thru Sunday, we are staying over and planning on doing something Saturday night. All are welcome, but we do get pretty silly at times!!

coriatc said:
The best two pizza places in Chicago are Gino's East and Lou Malnati's ... neither are on Michigan, though...

WRONG! Giordano's and Eduardo's are the best.

DebbieJ said:

LOL - the never-ending Chicago Pizza war picks up steam again!

(I like Lou Malnati's and Giordano's, myself.:p)

Anyone coming in early~ Navy Pier has free fireworks every Wed and Saturday night at dusk!

cookn' katie said:
Anyone coming in early~ Navy Pier has free fireworks every Wed and Saturday night at dusk!

Yes, me and 3 others from my cluster are flying in on Wednesday. This is good to know! Thanks!

Navy Pier has fireworks on Wednesday and Saturday nights. It's an easy walk from the Sheraton.

For those who haven't been there before... Walk out the door and down the street right in front and turn right. It's straight down the road from there.

There is a nice stained glass exhibit there also.

We're thinking of taking a boat tour. We'll decide once we're there.

We found a coupon for a BOGO on the boat tour last year. It was AWESOME! I'll have to try and find the name of the line we used.

Thanks! That would be great.

The first year I went to Chicago, a friend of mine came with us, too. Our whole group did the "Hop on Hop Off bus tour", and me and my friend took the enthnic loop of the tour, and went to see Little Italy, Greek Town, etc..... it's a really cool bus tour, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has not done it.

Oh, my friend and I also went up in the Hancock Building in the evening! Totally cool views!!!!! It's a must see, also. :)

We did a boat tour last year, & I thought it was the best thing we've done so far! I don't remember which line.....it started close to the Sheraton though. If leaving from the Sheraton, walk over the bridge, then down the stairs & it was right there. Only about $20-25 too. It went up the river & then out onto the lake for a bit. We loved it.
Also, the Shed Aquarium was awesome, Sears Tower is cool, Navy Pier is fun to walk around. My group has done something different each year. The Weber Grill is good food, as well as The Grand Lux restaurant. We liked Giordano's.

We've talked in the past about doing the architectural boat tour that points out old buildings. It sounds interesting to us.

Ok so the boat tour on Wednesday nights about 7:30 take off is the bomb! Get the one that goes out on the lake and watch the fireworks off Navy Pier from the Lake--it's awesome. The tour is about $25 I think and very interesting.

raebates said:
We've talked in the past about doing the architectural boat tour that points out old buildings. It sounds interesting to us.

The one we went on last year; I don't know if it was technically called an architectural tour....but the guide was great & she told what each building was & history in them. Now, if I'd only retained some of that info:rolleyes:

Me and My roommate are going to go shopping on Michgan Ave. and go to the Navy Peir. It should be fun I am getting ready and excited all at once. Just amazing how the time is now going so fast.

My mom and I went on the Architecture (sp?) boat tour a couple of years ago when she came up with me, and it was really good. It also leaves from near the Sheraton.

Nanisu said:
Ok so the boat tour on Wednesday nights about 7:30 take off is the bomb! Get the one that goes out on the lake and watch the fireworks off Navy Pier from the Lake--it's awesome. The tour is about $25 I think and very interesting.

Do you know the name of the place or where I go for this? I'm staying at the Hilton and am looking for things to do Wednesday. We arrive before 1pm, so we'll have a lot of time to do stuff that day.

Any other ideas on things (cheap) to do during the day?

google chicago boat tours and you will find it...

http://www.chicagotours.us/tours/tourType.cfm?ttid2=1420
Duration: One Hour
Chicago Architectural Cruise - 1 to 19 Persons - Weekdays From USD
$11.95
Enjoy a one-hour cruise of the historic Chicago River that showcases over 40 landmarks of modern American architecture. Join us on an exciting journey as we tour the Chicago River and its architectural landmarks. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: One Hour
Chicago Architectural Cruise - 1 to 19 Persons - Weekends and Holidays From USD
$12.95
Enjoy a one-hour cruise of the historic Chicago River that showcases over 40 landmarks of modern American architecture. Join us on an exciting journey as we tour the Chicago River and its architectural landmarks. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: 30 minutes
Chicago Skyline Boat Tour - 1 to 19 Persons - Weekdays From USD
$6.95
Enjoy a Chicago Skyline Boat Tour, which shows you all of the fabulous lakefront sights in a convenient half-hour tour. See all of Chicago's fabulous lakefront sights in a convenient half-hour tour. Learn about Chicago's colorful history and famous landmarks as you enjoy the panorama of Chicago's famous lakefront. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: 30 minutes
Chicago Skyline Boat Tour - 1 to 19 Persons - Weekends From USD
$6.95
Enjoy a Chicago Skyline Boat Tour, which shows you all of the fabulous lakefront sights in a convenient half-hour tour. See all of Chicago's fabulous lakefront sights in a convenient half-hour tour. Learn about Chicago's colorful history and famous landmarks as you enjoy the panorama of Chicago's famous lakefront. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: 3 hours
Chicago Dinner Cruise - Saturdays - January to April & November From USD
$107.95
The Chicago Dinner Cruise is a celebrated 3-hour dinner/dance cruise along the magnificent Chicago waterfront. Why go to a land-based restaurant when you can get so much more on our exciting cruise? Enjoy a Grande Buffet meal with an energetic floor show to entertain you. Dance, relax and stroll under a canopy of stars. And for the most magnificent view of Chicago's skyline, simply look out any window. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: 2 hours
Chicago Lunch Cruise - Weekdays - January to April & November From USD
$22.95
Take the Chicago Lunch Cruise and enjoy the trip, the food, and a show with amazing views of Chicago by water. You'll spend two leisurely hours of fun while you see the city's spectacular skyline. Step up to a bountiful buffet of wonderful taste treats while star-quality singers entertain you with generations of popular hits. And to complement the stunning sights, a narrator describes the highlights of your ever-changing view. More Info >

Reserve Now

Duration: 3 Hours
Elegant Dinner and Fireworks Cruise in Chicago - Wednesday From USD
$163.95
Enjoy a three hour escape to the signature elegance and total entertainment experience only a true luxury cruising vessel can provide. Creative appetizers, entrees and desserts are prepared fresh onboard daily. Award-winning wines may be ordered from our cash bar. Enjoy dancing to live music and unmatched views of the historic Chicago skyline drifting past your table. Weather permitting, you will also have a GREAT view of the weekly Navy Pier Fireworks Show! More Info >

Reserve Now

Elegant Dinner Cruise in Chicago - Friday - April to October From USD
$129.95
Enjoy a three hour escape to the signature elegance and total entertainment experience only a true luxury cruising vessel can provide. Unlimited champagne during boarding! Creative appetizers, entrees and desserts are prepared fresh onboard daily. Award-winning wines may be purchased from our cash bar. Enjoy dancing to live music and unmatched views of the historic Chicago skyline drifting past your table. More Info >

Reserve Now

Elegant Dinner Cruise in Chicago - Saturday - January to April & November From USD
$148.95
Enjoy a three hour escape to the signature elegance and total entertainment experience only a true luxury cruising vessel can provide. Creative appetizers, entrees and desserts prepared fresh onboard daily. Award-winning wines. Dancing to live music. And unmatched views of historic Chicago skyline drifting past your table. More Info >

Reserve Now

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
If you do remember the name of the theater, please share! Thanks!

The Ford Center for Performing Arts
You might want to get tickets in advance.

Boo, Lacy -- now I won't have my "sightseeing" partner since you're not coming this year! :( I think the HopOn HopOff Bus sounds cool --

I know Michelle---so sad! We'll have to make up for it next year;)

There is also Irish Fest going on the weekend of 10th-12th. One of my cluster mates is hugely irish and is possibly looking more forward to that than conference! LOL I guess Friday night they are having what they call like a hula hookup or something. It's an irish matchmaking thing. She's interested in that as she's single, but I'm very irish and will probably check out irish fest possibly after ed dinner and probably what we'll do after conference on Saturday since our flight doesn't leave till about 7:30pm. Just another FYI

DebbieJ said:

OK, I have lived my entire life (outside of the last 6 years) in Chicagoland, and have NEVER heard of Eduardo's ... :(

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefCKHall
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
akrebecca
Replies
Views
merego
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies