• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soy Milk in the Baked Potato Chowder?

Thanks for that info....the lactose milk is Lactaid, and I keep 2% around for the family....so good to know that skim at least is not the way to go. I'll report back after trying it with soy.
minirottie
As I'm finding my lactose intolerance getting a little worse, I've been looking to try substituting soy milk for regular. Was curious if anyone had tried it in the chowder and how did it taste? I might make it and see, and then see if my family will eat it too! :) My DH is a bit resistant to my substituting soy in ;)

I would be very careful to make sure the soy milk doesn't say "vanilla" flavored. We all know that regular milk is NOT a vanilla flavor and that vanilla probably wouldn't taste good with the potato chowder.

ShelbyMichalek said:
I would be very careful to make sure the soy milk doesn't say "vanilla" flavored. We all know that regular milk is NOT a vanilla flavor and that vanilla probably wouldn't taste good with the potato chowder.

Good point..I do keep regular soy on hand. I think I'm going to grab the remaining ingredients today and test this out tomorrow :)

If you're lactose intolerant, I wouldn't recommend the baked potato chowder. It's got cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk. But since it's so delicious, I would just take a bunch of lactaid pills before eating it. :)

HA! Good point Keith!

leftymac said:
If you're lactose intolerant, I wouldn't recommend the baked potato chowder. It's got cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk.

But since it's so delicious, I would just take a bunch of lactaid pills before eating it. :)

I can tolerate some things (luckily), like cheese, yogurt, etc. but cooking with milk and heavy cream is just too much. I'm trying to convince my family the Creamy One Pot Pasta is JUST as good as my Fettuccine Alfredo, but they aren't buying it :)

My host yesterday used the milk for Lactose intollerance (can't remember the name of it but it comes in a blue carton). I couldn't tell the difference. We did use regular cream cheese though.

My host a few weeks ago had skim milk - I DO NOT recommend that at all! Way to watery and a weird color too.

pamperedlinda said:
My host yesterday used the milk for Lactose intollerance (can't remember the name of it but it comes in a blue carton). I couldn't tell the difference. We did use regular cream cheese though.

My host a few weeks ago had skim milk - I DO NOT recommend that at all! Way to watery and a weird color too.

Thanks for that info....the lactose milk is Lactaid, and I keep 2% around for the family....so good to know that skim at least is not the way to go. I'll report back after trying it with soy. I won't have a comparison (yet) but if the family will eat it, that will be a solid endorsement!

1. Can I substitute soy milk for regular milk in the Baked Potato Chowder recipe?

Yes, you can definitely use soy milk in place of regular milk in the Baked Potato Chowder recipe. It will give the soup a slightly different flavor, but it will still be delicious.

2. Is soy milk a healthier option for the Baked Potato Chowder?

Soy milk is a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or avoiding dairy. It is lower in calories and fat compared to regular milk, making it a healthier option for the Baked Potato Chowder.

3. Can I use any type of soy milk in the Baked Potato Chowder?

Yes, you can use any type of soy milk in the Baked Potato Chowder, such as plain, vanilla, or unsweetened. Keep in mind that using flavored soy milk may alter the taste of the soup slightly.

4. How does using soy milk affect the texture of the Baked Potato Chowder?

Using soy milk in the Baked Potato Chowder will result in a thinner and less creamy texture compared to using regular milk. However, you can adjust the consistency by adding more flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup.

5. Can I freeze Baked Potato Chowder made with soy milk?

Yes, you can freeze Baked Potato Chowder made with soy milk. However, keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different when reheated, as soy milk may separate when frozen. To prevent this, stir well before serving or add a little extra soy milk when reheating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
tbsigma94
Replies
Views
Staci