1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Southwest Meatloaf

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I made this tonight - really easy, shows a lot of products. It was really good but a little on the soft/soggy side. Anyone have any tips? I followed the directions exactly.

Aug 21, 2009
  2. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

Could it have been the grade of meat? Also I find it I have to defrost the meat in the microwave, it has alot of extra water. Could that have been the problem?

Aug 22, 2009
  3. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

I used the grade of ground beef called for and I had to drain the fat off several times as it cooked. After it sat, it did firm up. It was VERY loose when it first came out.

Aug 22, 2009
  4. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I used 93/7 meat for it and it was fresh so it didn't need thawed.

Aug 22, 2009
  5. cwinter474

I'm going to make this. I will let you know how mine turns out.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Aug 22, 2009
  6. cwinter474

update, mine was soggy to. Interesting, anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Aug 23, 2009
  7. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I haven't made this recipe - DH doesn't like meatloaf, and DS doesn't like meat....but just by looking at the recipe, I would say that there isn't enough binder for the amount of beef and ketchup.

I would increase the amount of crushed chips to 1 cup, and possibly increase to 2 eggs. Growing up, my Mom always said one egg per lb. of ground beef.

You need something to soak up all that liquid, and bind it together.

Aug 23, 2009
  8. cwinter474

Thats what I was thinking as well. I also used the 96% meat and it did overflow on me as well.

My great aunt, always formed her meatloaf around a whole dell pickle. That has nothing to do with this, but it always comes to my mind when I think of meatloaf recipes. It was gross.

Aug 23, 2009
  9. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

I made this tonight using 2 lbs of ground turkey (Jennie-O in plastic tube). It was delicious. It did set up after letting it rest as stated in the recipe. Just don't be so anxious to cut into it! Ha! Ha! It was good with poblano but next time I may add a second for my husband.

My daughter said it smelled like a Mexican restaurant in our house while it cooked in the micro. I will definitely demo this one. So quick and easy! Taking leftovers to work to make my co-workers jealous!

Aug 26, 2009
  10. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I let mine set for quite a while because I was unorganized and the potatoes weren't done yet, so it wasn't that... I'm thinking the cut of meat that I used, not lean enough. Also, I think that, like Becky said, it might need another egg and more chips, something to hold it all together... I will try again with modifications. The flavor was good, but we had to use a slotted spoon to get it out... But I loved how fast it was!

Aug 27, 2009
  11. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

I made this using 93% meat and it didn't set up well...at all. While we were eating it, I told DH that I thought it needed more binders. The amt of egg and tortilla chips just didn't seem to be enough. I think we're definitely going to try it again, but with more binding ingredients. Flavor was really good though!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Aug 27, 2009
  12. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying this tonight so I can make it at my customer app. on sunday. I'm going to just increase the chips and eggs right off the bat instead of trying the way it reads. Appreciate it!

Aug 27, 2009
  13. ChefPaulaB

Let us know how it works out!

Aug 27, 2009
  14. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

Well, I thought it was good. My husband just doesn't like food like that, but my MIL was there and seemed to enjoy it with me. I did put 2 eggs and 1 cup crushed chips. It held together quite well.

Aug 27, 2009
  15. ChefPaulaB

Good to know, thanks for sharing! I'll try it again using the extra egg and chips...

Aug 27, 2009
Have something to add?