• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cold Calling: Need Help Taking the First Step!

$10 per visit for the flyer and $5 for each follow-up call. That may not be cost effective for everyone, so it's important to do your own research. What I love about this service is that it is completely customized for me. I can choose the businesses I want to advertise with, the time of year I want to advertise, and the type of ad I want. Thank you for considering this service!Welcome wagon
pamperedkel
okay guys, I need help.....I've decided tonight I am going to do some "cold calls" I'm sure I'll be fine after the first one but I don't know what to say. I have a list from the welcome wagon of names and numbers and that's all the info I have. They have a card from me and a free cake tester. Should I offer something for free??? Product??? Gift certificate??? This list has been staring me in the face for over a week.....and I paid for this advertising!! I just have to stop procrastinating and do it now!!!!
Thanks,
Kelly

I do the same kind of advertising. The flyer that I have them hand out is also a $10 coupon (it says that on there). When I get the list of names, I try to make calls when I can. I don't know how your welcome wagon person does it, but mine are supposed to go into a little detail about me and Pampered Chef. But, I never know how much detail they go into or if the person is familiar with PC. So, here's a sample of what I say.... "Hi, my name is Becky Gosain and I'm a Pampered Chef consultant from Geneva. I'm also with the Welcome Wagon (or whatever it's called.) I like to do quick follow up calls to remind people that the flyer from me is also good as a $10 coupon if you ever need to order any products. (At this point I usually ask them if they have a minute so you're respectful of their time) Are you familiar with PC?" and usually by their answer, I'll tell them a variety of things. If they're not familiar I tell them REALLY briefly about PC. If they are, I'll ask if they've seen a catalog recently, maybe tell them about a few newer products. I also ask if they've been to shows lately or ever hosted one. That's what will give me the "in" about asking if they've ever considered hosting and would they. I try to tell them the upcoming host specials. You do kind of get a feel if the person would rather not talk to you, I'll offer to send them a catalog. Sure, I think some people just say yes to say yes, but then it's really important to follow up with them a week or so after to make sure they got it, to see if they have questions and see if they may need to order anything. I also mention to them that if their "wish list" is bigger than their budget, they should consider hosting.

I swear it gets easier! I still stumble around for words sometimes, but the more you do them, the more comfortable you get. You may even want to write out a little script or at least the key points you want to cover during those calls.

Last edited:
P.S.
I really wouldn't offer free products or gift certificates etc. THe less money out of your pocket the better. If you're not having a good response, you can offer them an additional 10% off if they host a show or something. But maybe see how it goes at first. Good luck!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the welcome wagon? I mean, I know the expression, but this is a real business?

LOL.....yesit is a legit business, they go to people's doors with a basket advertise local businesses (basically) www.welcomewagon.com

I've never heard of this before. Does the welcome wagon give you names of people to call. How does it work exactly?

You pay for...each visit, sign a contract, make a little card and attach a gift (I give the cake tester) She (the Welcome Wagon hostess) provides me with a list of the names and numbers of the people the she has visited. I don't know if it's worth it yet....just started. I think it's a great way to get my name "out there" though.

welcome wagonI am new to my area and i had the welcoming baskets come to my door with a bunch of stuff it is a great way to advrtise, so i decided to call them and they are to expensie for me to advertise with right now but they are going to host a show for me middle of July, im hoping to get some good contacts from them through the show
:)

Welcome WagonHello! I've been using Welcome Wagon in Ontario with great success. It has helped me broaden my customer base. It can be expensive, though, so research thoroughly how you are going to justify the costs. For example, I am paying $2 a "visit". This includes a letter from me (with a %10 discount on order certificate), 2 recipe cards (I'm not sure if you have them in the states, one Hot/Cold Stir Fry & one Ice Cream Cake recipe card, they cost me $0.75 for 30 so I spend max $3 on gifts for a month! I've bought lots, so even if PC discontinues these, i'll have lots of "giveaways" for the next year. I'm sure there will be more choices of goodies after conference. It is a great deal and they look great), and an old catalogue (with a sticker saying if you want a new catalogue, give me acall). I always send old catalogues because I've bought them at a great discount, and it helps my WW hostess to explain PC if they have never heard about us. It also helps me make conversation later - "Would you like me to drop off a new catalogue?"

The only way to "get your money back" with Wlecome Wagon or any other "list" you've paid for is to make those calls. You've paid for it already and you're wasting money if you don't. You could have an open house or invite them to a great past host's show (with her permission of course; I find that a past host is more likely to welcome them into her home because she loves the products & wants to max out her hostess bonuses and wants lots of people there.) I have an open house every 2 months, invite everyone.

It might be the same in your area: our WW hostesses request a "hold back gift". Something that they get for attending an open house, placing an order of hosting a show. It can be as simple as a recipe card (I'm using the Tapas recipe card), a Season's Best or nylon scraper.

My followup calls are a chances to do just that:

Did you recieve your gift?
Have you had a chance to use it/ try the recipe?
Are you familiar with PC?
WOuld you like to see a new catalogue?
Would you like to attend an open house to check us out?
Have you ever thought of PC as an opportunity?
WOuld you be interested in earning free product?
Is there anything you are interested in purchasing at a discount?

I always refer them to a recipe or something on my website - "Strawberry blossoms" right now...

If anyone has any other questions on how to make the most of Welcome Wagon, feel free to ask.

Esther

Your Open HousesHi Esther,
I like the idea of giving out the recipe cards, I have SO many olds ones from the past year or so. Great idea, I think I'll have to start doing that. I also like the idea of having an Open House for all those people on the list you get. HOw successful are those? Do many people come? I would hate to spend the money on postage to mail out invitations, though. Or do you just tell them via the phone?

How many names to you tend to get per month? Mine are between 20 and 30. Some have unlisted numbers, so I don't get those numbers and then I feel like it's a contact that's down the tubes. I like the way my "welcome wagon"-type company handles it. They only give out my info if the person thinks they'd be interested in it. Then I only get charged for the people that take the info. That hopefully weeds out the people that know they couldn't care less about PC, but I think some people still take the info just to take it.

I'd love to hear more about your Open Houses? Do you find you put lots of extra money into sending out the invites to the Open Houses and preparing food for them? Thanks for all your suggestions!! :)

I have never heard of a Welcome Wagon bringing things to your house, so there must not be one around here. But we live on a military base, so perhaps they just don't visit us. I only plan on having shows on base, except for members who live off base (ie not civilians in the community, because I am not familiar with the area or the people at all). But I was thinking, maybe I can advertise with the Housing office or the Family Support Center. I know a huge portion of the enlisted force is very young and newly married, so they be interested in advertising for me if I offer a discount for new members.

I was also thinking of advertising at the base chapels for Pampered Bride shows. Is it okay to do this if you aren't a member of the church?

I think it is okay as long as you check with the chapels first.

Kathylynn,

Do you guys have a base paper that comes every week? We have one and you can put an advertisement in it for about $5 a week. I know on our base there is a bulletin board in the post office that you can put up any fliers and business cards. There is also one in our commuinty center on base. In the center there is a play area for children and a bulletin board for putting up advertisements. We also have a MOPS group on base. We were suppossed to have a recipe exchange last weekend and I was going to take a PC recipe but it was canceled at the last minute. MOPS group is a good way to get to know ladies on the base though and possible do a show for them.

Most of my shows I do on base as well but I really want to branch off into town. Base shows right now don't seem to be making very high sales and people invited to shows have been really finicky about showing up. With there being so many deployments also people just aren't as interested in having a show right now. My director said that if I can start getting shows off base I would probably see a big difference in bookings and sales. -just a thought.

1. How do I know who to call?

When cold calling, it's important to have a targeted list of potential customers. You can research and gather contacts based on demographics, location, or industry. You can also reach out to your existing network for referrals.

2. What should I say during a cold call?

Prepare a script that includes an introduction, a brief overview of your product or service, and a call to action. Be sure to also listen to the customer and tailor your pitch to their needs and interests.

3. How do I handle objections or rejections?

It's important to have a positive attitude and be prepared for objections. Acknowledge the customer's concerns and provide a solution or alternative. Remember to always be respectful and professional, even if the customer declines your offer.

4. Should I leave a voicemail or keep trying?

It's generally recommended to leave a voicemail if the customer doesn't answer after a few attempts. This allows you to leave a brief message and potentially schedule a call back. However, if the customer explicitly states they are not interested, it's best to move on to other prospects.

5. How do I follow up after a cold call?

After a successful cold call, be sure to follow up with the customer to solidify the sale or schedule a meeting. If the customer was not interested, you can still follow up with them in the future to see if their needs have changed. Keep track of your interactions and always be professional and polite in your follow-ups.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
ahammons
  • GourmetGirl
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies