• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soliciting Catering Businesses?

In summary, Esther suggests sending a catalog to catering companies to try and branch out and get their name and business out there.
heat123
Silver Member
I haven't ever seen this topic discussed on these threads before... but I was brainstorming and was wondering how crazy of an idea it would be to try and solicit small and large catering businesses?

Since I know nothing about that industry would it be absurd to try and send them a letter to browse through the catalog or website or offer a demo on our products? Since our tools are so handy and versitile who wouldn't love them in the cooking field! :)
Or are there real "professional" tools out there that they would be using already?? :confused:

Just an idea that aroused my thoughts while I couldn't sleep. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! ;)

I have workedfor caterers and in kitchens on and off since I was 15. The pub where I work p/t has pc stuff in their kitchen (mini spat, bread knife, lg serving tongs), and the chef is a big fan and great customer of mine. He will order $300 worth of product with each new catalogue, plus about $100 during the selling season... so he is an $800 a year customer. He is not crazy about the cookware (he has tonnes of great stuff in his personal kitchen however he loves the roasting pan & rack and we do use the square griddle at the pub for pancakes - not a huge seller, and we have a very small kitchen so we can't permanently dedicate any space to a flat grill for the few things that we use it for) He realizes that the stuff he uses inthe kitchen voids that warranty, but buys it anyway as the price is reasonable and the product is good, so if the bread knife lasts him 5 year (and counting), even if he has to buy one this year at $12.20 (Canadian), it is worth it. He is not impressed with the cookbooks - hardly anything from scratch. Gnocci with potato flakes ewww - if people knew how simple good food is without these shortcuts!

As a general rule, chefs & caterers are choosy about the tools they want to work with, will have pieces of many different companies because they want the best tool for the best value and aren't as brand loyal. (we have mostly heinkle knives, and we prefer to sharpen our own knives) But they are also "int the loop' when it comes to hospitality and food trends & ideas. Chef's also have their own "toolboxes" that don't come out everyday but that they need to have just like mechanics... at the pub, ours includes the following pc products: meat tenderizer, extra bread knife, stainless cheese knife (our plane is Heinkle), ice cream scopp, large scoop, slice & serve, bamboo spatula)

Worth a shot, I send a catalogue to all the catering companies after I have the info for the kitchen manager each catalogue & invite them to my customer appreciation, even if they haven't made a purchase...

Good luck, keep brainstorming how to branch out - jsut make sure that you are keeping up with the basics - selling, booking and recruiting.

Have a terrific day.

Esther

thanks Esther!It's worth a shot I think! Just as soliciting Bridal boutiques and Real estate offices can be worth it for some! I'm a newbie and am just trying to figure out how to get my name and business out there. I've dropped my catalog at local joints but never even thought if doing this until last night and wanted to find out about the food catering business before trying anything!

I figured as much for the cookware since there are probably a ton of other "Professional cookware" out there that they all use. But for hand gadgets like:
the meat tenderizer
crinkle cutter
food chopper
garlic press
batter bowls
stoneware
easy read measuring cups
etc. I can go on and on I thought they could use these kinds of products in their "test kitchens" as well!

So I will look up small businesses at first and create some letter and hope I get some bites!?

Thank you!

Can anyone post a letter they would send to a catering place?

Good Idea!I think this would be a great idea. I used to work for a small restaurant that did catering and they were always looking around for new display pieces and nice kitchenware. One of the chef's actually worked at the Olympics one year and he was very picky, but I do remember him using bamboo spoons like ours. Try it out! I would just write them a quick letter and send a catalog or drop one off and make sure that if you hear from them to keep the ball rolling by updating them when new products come out and direct them to your website if you have one. Let us know how it turns out!

~Kristen ;)

any letter ideas?Thanks for the encourage ment! Anyone have any rough letters I could send? I want to sound knowledgeable and professional !

Catering letterHey everyone,
I just got on the phone with all kinds of people today while the babies are sleeping and the older two are drawing and watching a video.
I got a hold of a caterer who didn't seem interested at first when she thought I was just offering kitchen tools like pots, pans and knives (which she might want for herself when she sees our catalog), but then I mentioned the simple additions and she said she would love to see a catalog. She said she loves to shop. I said that is what I wanted to hear. I just made up this letter right now. Tell me what you think, you guys can use it if you want and just change whatever you want to make it work for you.
Debbie

Attachments

• Catering letter.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 513
Good Job!Great letter! Thanks for sharing!

~Kristen ;)

That's a great letter!

1. How can I find potential catering businesses to solicit?

There are a few ways you can find potential catering businesses to solicit. You can start by researching local businesses in your area that offer catering services. You can also reach out to your network and ask for referrals or attend networking events to meet and connect with catering business owners.

2. What should I include in my solicitation pitch to catering businesses?

When crafting your solicitation pitch, be sure to highlight the benefits and features of our products that would be useful to catering businesses. This can include our time-saving kitchen tools, versatile cookware, and high-quality ingredients. It's also helpful to offer a sample or demonstration to showcase the value of our products.

3. How should I approach catering businesses to solicit?

When approaching catering businesses to solicit, it's important to be professional and respectful of their time. You can start by sending an introductory email or making a phone call to introduce yourself and explain why you are reaching out. If possible, try to schedule a meeting or demo to further discuss how our products can benefit their business.

4. What kind of incentives or deals can I offer to catering businesses?

One incentive you can offer to catering businesses is a discount on our products for bulk or regular orders. You can also offer to provide training or workshops for their staff on how to use our products effectively. Another option is to offer a referral program where the catering business can earn rewards for recommending our products to their clients.

5. How can I follow up with catering businesses after making my initial solicitation?

Following up is crucial in building relationships with catering businesses. After your initial solicitation, be sure to send a thank-you email or note to express your interest in working with them. You can also follow up with a phone call or schedule a meeting to discuss further details or address any questions or concerns they may have.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cathyskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • Trish in Texas